Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbremer10 View Post
Is it true that the 30 horse and the 12 or so horse is the same engine with the lower HP rated engine being governed?
Often that is the case, although "detuned" might be a better term than "governed"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2012

bbremer10 is on a distinguished road

Now I've been presented for my consideration a 1973 Ranger 29 with Atomic 4 that runs (gas) for $5000. Quick Google search tells me the keels were molded into the hull and the ballast poured in. So no keel separation concerns? Or maybe that's worse as a keel separation would actually be a big hole in the hull?
Old 04-04-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Have you looked at Schock Santana's? They made 2 30 foot varieties...I have the Santana 30, and there is a Santana 30/30. They are still in business making boats and they sail very well...the 30/30 is a pretty fast boat. The 30 is not as fast...BUT is a very sturdy boat. I bought one for under $7K...NEW Yanmar in it, and I just did the catalina trip in 15-20 foot waves and 25+ MPH winds...stable as a rock and wa making 7 knots in the old girl. My buddy I bought it from only sold it to get a Schock 35, as he wants to do some racing and the extra room works for his family. He used to get from San Pedro to Avalon in like 3 hours in the Santana 30. I have seen many in the $6-10k range that I wished I had jumped on just to flip...great boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Have you looked at Schock Santana's? They made 2 30 foot varieties...I have the Santana 30, and there is a Santana 30/30. They are still in business making boats and they sail very well...the 30/30 is a pretty fast boat. The 30 is not as fast...BUT is a very sturdy boat. I bought one for under $7K...NEW Yanmar in it, and I just did the catalina trip in 15-20 foot waves and 25+ MPH winds...stable as a rock and wa making 7 knots in the old girl. My buddy I bought it from only sold it to get a Schock 35, as he wants to do some racing and the extra room works for his family. He used to get from San Pedro to Avalon in like 3 hours in the Santana 30. I have seen many in the $6-10k range that I wished I had jumped on just to flip...great boats.
Haven't seen any for sale around here.
Old 04-04-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Here are 2.....
A Santana 30 asking $11.9k
1978 Schock Santana Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

and a Santana 30/30 asking $13.5k
1983 Schock Santana 30 30GP Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'd say that both are probably $9k boats at first glance..The S30, maybe $8k.

Keep an eye out, they sell quick. I see them frequently on craigslist. There was one is Seattle for $3k!

Old 04-04-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbremer10 View Post
If you were there in the afternoon, you'd have seen a 22 foot Fiberform on the 35 ton sling. That's when we found the spun props and I withdrew my offer to purchase. The owner of that boat spent all morning complaining about losing business because he wasn't at his office and then he was really upset when I pulled the plug on the offer to purchase. But, tough ****. Not gonna buy a boat I can't sea trail. He actually expected me to replace the props on my dime because he was absolutly sure it would pass sea trial with new props. I told him that's not how it works. It's his boat. If he wants to repair HIS boat and offer it up for sale again, have at it. Still hasn't refunded my depsit (Not too worried about that. I know how to collect money.). Do sellers not understand that selling a vessel requires some effort on their part?

If I'm posting, I'm soliciting advice. Bring it on y'all!
Well, that's a coincidence!
Danish Marine, in Portland, OR??

While you're there, take a look at that clean Scampi 30, at the brokerage below the yard (Passion Yachts). Friend of mine listed it after they moved up to a 37 footer... they would like it to go to a new home...

BTW, I admit that I have always wondered about all the "monkey motion" needed to make the Duo Prop idea workable.
As if all IO's do not have enough built-in maintenance woes as it is.

Cheers,
LB
Old 04-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Here are 2.....
A Santana 30 asking $11.9k
1978 Schock Santana Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

and a Santana 30/30 asking $13.5k
1983 Schock Santana 30 30GP Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'd say that both are probably $9k boats at first glance..The S30, maybe $8k.

Keep an eye out, they sell quick. I see them frequently on craigslist. There was one is Seattle for $3k!
I did see this one today while walking the docks in Alamitos! Took a few pictures of it. Looks like it once had a wheel helm that has been removed and a big fiberglass patch on the bow starting from below the waterline. Looks like it's been molested over the years. Didn't look that well cared for. But what do I know...http://www.sailnet.com/forums/attach...1&d=1333585467
Attached Thumbnails
Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping-sailboat01.jpg  

Last edited by bbremer10; 04-04-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
Well, that's a coincidence!
Danish Marine, in Portland, OR??

While you're there, take a look at that clean Scampi 30, at the brokerage below the yard (Passion Yachts). Friend of mine listed it after they moved up to a 37 footer... they would like it to go to a new home...

BTW, I admit that I have always wondered about all the "monkey motion" needed to make the Duo Prop idea workable.
As if all IO's do not have enough built-in maintenance woes as it is.

Cheers,
LB
Ha! No. Around here when you mention the boatyard it's assumed you mean The Boatyard in Marina Del Rey. That's actually the name of the business.
Old 04-04-2012

I love the lines on the older cabin cruisers/sport fishers. So for giggles I contact a Craig's List poster about his 1975 Skipjack. So happens it's at the marina I was at today. First thing I notice is the sagging forward deck. Typical for this age/style of boat. Message the guy back about the sagging deck and politley say I'm going to pass on the boat. Guy responds, "Not sure what you mean by sagging." Another boat flipper?http://www.sailnet.com/forums/attach...1&d=1333591446
Attached Thumbnails
Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping-skipjack.jpg  
Old 04-05-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Are you trying to make a Catalina 27 plane?
Often skippers end up with more engine than they need, based on the bigger is better philosophy or a failure to understand that torque is a better measure of an engine's ability than hp. Personally, I blame the Atomic 4 for this trend- because that lump put out 30 hp, owners though they NEED 30 hp on their next boat, never realizing that the peak hp of an atomic is at 3500 rpm, while usually cruiseat hull speed is at 2000-2400 rpm, where the engine is developing only 16-18 hp... if that, since the hp specs given are factory specs from a fresh engine.

I've got a 4400 lb boat, which often cruises with 1000 lbs of crew, dogs, fuel, and stores powered by a yanmar 1GM which has no problem cruising all day long at hull speed at 2400 rpm.
BLJ,
Blame Atomic 4 engines if you must. Yes they are rated to 30 HP, and no, they don't really like running at full throttle.
They were also installed in boats up to about 34' in length; some still purring along. I am actually enjoying keeping my 45 year old Atomic 4 in shape; they are easier to care for then you may think.
The stink of a little gasoline does not scare me more then the bad smell of a holding tank or diesel fuel mixed together. Properly managed gasoline is not

Smells.
Diesel?
Gasoline?
Holding tank?

They can all be remedied by proper maintenance usually.

There are probably very few a Tartan 27's for sale on the left coast.

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.