Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruparthomes View Post
If you have a fond of set up shipping business than you have to take a some smart decision to get a qualitative as well as quantitative in terms of buying a boat. You have to use this boat as a business purpose as well as personal. It denoted as a most adventures.
Thanks for that, only 4 posts and you have already been a huge suppository of knowledge.
-OvO- and Jgbrown like this.
Old 01-26-2013

bbremer10 is on a distinguished road

Followup: Having purchased my first boat last April, a 1970 Ericson 23, the first thing I did was have her hauled out and the bottom stripped and painted. The cost was nearly twice the purchase price, but it needed to be done and I had budgeted for it. Subsequent bottom jobs will be less. I took a basic keel boat sailing course and spent last summer happily sailing Lola back and forth across the Long Beach harbor. At the end of summer, I noticed some frayed rigging. I called a local shop and prepared for an expensive service call. However, the rigger did not try to gouge me and did only what was necessary- replacing the inner shrouds and main halyard and tuning the rigging. Having gained my trust I had him replace the VHF antenna and anchor light. My neighbor told me the guy spent two days on her. Got out for less than a grand. I replaced the two year old outboard. Although it ran just fine, I had no service records and I did not like the location of the shifter on the side. Plus it had a nasty pull to port in reverse. I'm in a very narrow channel and it was a pain in the ass. So, I ordered up a brand new Tohatsu Sail Pro with and extra long shaft and a shifter on the front of the motor. Much better! And I was able to sell the "old" motor to a neighbor who was tired of her fussy old two-stroke. She's on the opposite side of the slip so the prop walk will work in her favor. I also have begun to eliminate unnecessary electronics. I've removed the stereo and two heavy speakers and the REALLY unnecessary electric water pump under the sink. I have removed the no longer functioning original cabin lights, replaced with individual battery powered LED fixtures. I replaced the main winch with a self tailing winch (the second most expensive new item after the motor). I had the cabin upholstery redone, surprisingly expensive. I had to move the fairlead that directs the main halyard back to the cockpit- its previous location had the halyard rubbing against the yard arm and hanging up on the steaming light. Sail goes up nice and easy now. The genoa needed repair as the previous owner told me before purchase. The repair was surprisingly inexpensive. Oddly, the furler was missing a very small but essential part that prevented me from rigging up the genoa. I had to do a little research to identify the furler and locate the manufacturer who sold me the needed part. Then I discoverd that the furler line was to thick and would not allow me to completely furl the genoa. Several of the lines on the boat were unnecessarily thick and I've been replacing them with lighter but more appropriate lines. Bigger is not always better. Now the debate is to paint the deck or not. If it's too much money I'll take the advice of another sailor and just sail her as is as long as she sails well. Which she does. I'm still learning, but last Sunday (I am in California, after all) I got it all just right and was able to let go of the tiller, sit back and just enjoy the 5 knots ride. It was a beautiful day on the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

You could paint the deck with Interlux Brightside (shiny bits) and Interdeck (nonskid) for relatively little money and a bit of elbow grease. A scuff sanding of the clear bits, and a vigours TSP scrub of the nonskid should get you to the painting point. These are not expensive paints relatively speaking, and do a decent job.

The Interdeck is a pretty decent grip, rolls out evenly and seems to stand up pretty well. We've had a two coat treatment on our cockpit sole that is going on 6 years old now. Kiwi grip is another popular product but I don't know about the pricing..

Anyhow nice to hear you're making good use of her and improving as you go!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
You could paint the deck with Interlux Brightside (shiny bits) and Interdeck (nonskid) for relatively little money and a bit of elbow grease. A scuff sanding of the clear bits, and a vigours TSP scrub of the nonskid should get you to the painting point. These are not expensive paints relatively speaking, and do a decent job.

The Interdeck is a pretty decent grip, rolls out evenly and seems to stand up pretty well. We've had a two coat treatment on our cockpit sole that is going on 6 years old now. Kiwi grip is another popular product but I don't know about the pricing..

Anyhow nice to hear you're making good use of her and improving as you go!
Thanks! I am supposed to get back a quote for deck painting today. Almost all of the deck is molded in non-skid.
As far as DIY-wouldn't I have to remove all of the rigging and hardware or would it be OK to paint around it all?
Old 01-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

It's definitely best to remove as much hardware as you can, esp if this is you're 'forever' boat. But careful masking and caution with the brush can result in an acceptable job and will likely raise the resale value - or at least the resale-ability of the boat quite a lot if it's not your 'forever' boat...

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 01-26-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbremer10 View Post
Thanks! I am supposed to get back a quote for deck painting today.
Hope you are well braced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-26-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Thanks! I am supposed to get back a quote for deck painting today. Almost all of the deck is molded in non-skid.
As far as DIY-wouldn't I have to remove all of the rigging and hardware or would it be OK to paint around it all?
Remove what can be easily removed, and mask off the rest. It's not a hard chocre to sand and paint the deck on your boat, and faster has the right idea. we are going into our third season on opur decks repainted with brightsides and intergrip, and it has held up well with little wear, enduring two dogs and numerous hapless guests.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2013

Rolling and tipping- this is laying on a heavy coat with a roller and lightly brushing it out, at least on the smooth areas? Whats the technique on the non skid areas...just roller, no brush?
Old 01-27-2013
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Rolling and tipping- this is laying on a heavy coat with a roller and lightly brushing it out, at least on the smooth areas? Whats the technique on the non skid areas...just roller, no brush?
If you're doing nonskid with inter deck a roller will do nicely-I think kiwi grip is applied with roller as well. "Roll and tip" is a non-spray technique to get as high gloss a finish as possible. Tipping takes out the typical stipple most rollers leave behind. Yes it would only be used on the smooth areas.

Btw a heavy rolled on coat would likely still sag after tipping.. Multiple thin coats is a better bet.

Last edited by Faster; 01-27-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

when rolling on non-skid, roll first in this direction / over the surface, then roll acorss the surface in this direction \ to even it all out and eliminate marks.

It really is easy.

The rolling part is self explanatory, the "tipping" is just LIGHTLY dragging a brush across the work to remove bubbles, lay down the stippling of the roller, and help the paint flow out. You not really painting with the brush, in fact it might best be described as UNpainting.
tip like you are doing a "touch and go" in an airplane. Gently and smoothly land the brush on the wet surface on the move, move it across the work and gently and smoothly lift off.

I recommend buying a cheap piece of 4x8 good -one -side plywood and paint it, practicing your technique. Then cut it into 2 2x8 lengths, lay on top of some 4x4s resting on sawhorses, and now you have some scaffolding to walk on when painting the side decks.
Jgbrown likes this.

Last edited by bljones; 01-27-2013 at 03:33 PM.