SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/85383-mr-b-buys-boat-adventures-boat-shopping.html)

bbremer10 03-24-2012 11:53 AM

Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping

My " Introduce Yourself" posts were morphing into boat shopping discussions, so, I thought this would be a more appropriate place to continue that thread. Biggest thing I've sailed is a Hobie 16. Now, I'm looking to get a proper dry sailing vessel with some of the comforts of home. On advice of a friend who owns a 130" scooner, I am looking at 1980's era Catalina 30's. I've decided that I will stick to older boats whose bulders are still in business (I contacted Catalina about hull numbers and their engineering dept. responded immediately.) so far I have looked at two, a settee model and not sure of the other, I didn't like one because it had an outboard and trim adjusters on the stern. The other just stank of deisel in the cabin. Today, I am looking at a 1980 C30 with a gas Atomic 4 and tomorrow a 1986 C30 with a Universal 21. The 86 is listed for less than the 1980 boat. I'm not sure of what to make of the inverse price relationship. The 1986 owner admits to a small Catalina smile and a need for bottom paint this year. The other guy is just evasive, or worse, just doesn't know, about such things as mast compression and keel separation. He is first up today, so I'll let you all know how that goes. Carry on.

elvishessler 03-24-2012 12:58 PM

Re: Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping

. On advice of a friend who owns a 130" scooner,

That is one big schooner. :D

bbremer10 03-24-2012 02:00 PM

Elvis is in the house! (cue band)

msmith10 03-24-2012 03:06 PM

Cat 30 is a fine choice for your wants. Don't let the Atomic 4 scare you if all else is equal. Take someone along who knows (not just thinks they know) what to look for. Once you've made a decision get a survey unless you're just willing to risk the money.

bbremer10 03-24-2012 03:29 PM

Just visited the C30 in Marina Del Rey. Guy actaully said the engine runs great but it won't start. End of visit. Next stop, Ventura.

Familycruisers 03-24-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbremer10 (Post 850118)
Just visited the C30 in Marina Del Rey. Guy actaully said the engine runs great but it won't start. End of visit. Next stop, Ventura.

Diesel atomic or gas?
First guy that looked at the boat I bought didnt buy it cuz it wouldnt start, whew!! Thank goodness. YMMV ;)

chuck53 03-24-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbremer10 (Post 850118)

It could be something very minor as to why it didn't start. Don't pass on it for just that reason. Look at the whole boat and have the owner figure out the engine problem.
I used to have a 1979, C-30 and now have a 1987, C34.

bbremer10 03-24-2012 08:06 PM

Turns out that what this guy does is buy junkers floating in the marina and turns them on Craig's list. Explains why he could not answer any questions about the boat. He never sailed it. Only had it for six months. Rigging was shot. In fact, the pictures he posted on CL were not even his. They apparently were from the previous owner's failed attempt to sell this tub. Who knows how old those were?! This guy couldn't figure anything out because he knows nothing about the boat.

chuck53 03-24-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbremer10 (Post 850176)
Turns out that what this guy does is buy junkers floating in the marina and turns them on Craig's list. Explains why he could not answer any questions about the boat. He never sailed it. Only had it for six months. Rigging was shot. In fact, the pictures he posted on CL were not even his. They apparently were from the previous owner's failed attempt to sell this tub. Who knows how old those were?! This guy couldn't figure anything out because he knows nothing about the boat.

In this instance, walking away was the best thing to do.
Don't give up. Thousands of Catalina 30's were built. You shouldn't have a problem finding one to suit your needs and wallet. The 4 years we had ours, we certainly enjoyed it and we really are enjoying our 34 now.

Familycruisers 03-24-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbremer10 (Post 850176)

Or you do the the survey he incapable of. To heck with how they sail, research will tell you that. Thru halls, Stuffing box tubing, stuff that will make it sink, then go from there. Reduce price accordingly. If he doesn't have the education , educate him, but only on the bad.