Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012

champlain94 is on a distinguished road
early 70's Ericson 32

I am going to look at a early 70's e32 with a running Yanmar. Asking price $3000 Here's the bad.
Owner said he has had it only two months. It's more work then he
Thought it would be. He has three highschool children and not enough time to mess with it. He said this is the deal. Two chainplates are gone and the port lights leak. This has made some of the laminate inside separate. He has some mahogany to go with the boat. He said there are no soft spots on the deck and sails are good. My questions are: how can there be no soft spots if two chain plates are gone. Water must have penetrated the balsa core. And if two chainplates are gone I would think the others aren't far behind. Are the port light against solid fiberglass or is there balsa there also? I am going to check the cabin top for sag. They are cabin stepped mast and are known to sag. I know $3000 is cheap for a e32 with a Yanmar so I expect things to be not perfect. I am a carpenter and electrician and I have a friend that has done fiberglass work for years and on sailboats. I will know more once I look. Tomorrow(Sunday) or Monday. I will take pictures. I know nothing about diesels. Is there anything I should look for with the Yanmar? Thank you for any guidance.

Thank you,
Bryan

Last edited by champlain94; 03-24-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: early 70's Ericson 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by champlain94 View Post
I am going to look at a early 70's e32 with a running Yanmar. Asking price $3000 Here's the bad.
Owner said he has had it only two months. It's more work then he
Thought it would be. He has three highschool children and not enough time to mess with it. He said this is the deal. Two chainplates are gone and the port lights leak. This has made some of the laminate inside separate. He has some mahogany to go with the boat. He said there are no soft spots on the deck and sails are good. My questions are: how can there be no soft spots if two chain plates are gone. Water must have penetrated the balsa core. And if two chainplates are gone I would think the others aren't far behind. Are the port light against solid fiberglass or is there balsa there also? I am going to check the cabin top for sag. They are cabin stepped mast and are known to sag. I know $3000 is cheap for a e32 with a Yanmar so I expect things to be not perfect. I am a carpenter and electrician and I have a friend that has done fiberglass work for years and on sailboats. I will know more once I look. Tomorrow(Sunday) or Monday. I will take pictures. I know nothing about diesels. Is there anything I should look for with the Yanmar? Thank you for any guidance. Thank you, Bryan
Depends what is meant by the chainplates being "gone" - are they missing? Is the metal corroded? Have their bulkhead mountings rotted?

Making up new chainplates isn't a big deal - just take the old ones to a good S/S fabricator and have them duplicated in 304 or 316.

Leaking ports are almost more common than not on boats that old. Replacing the cabin side trim panels is a fairly big job but you're a carpenter so not a problem. You can do them when you have the ports out for rebedding.

I'd be suspicious that he found something serious shortly after he bought it and wants to unload it. If it looks halfway decent and you can take the work on, get it surveyed for sure.

As to the diesel - is there an hour meter? When was the engine installed? The simplest way to give a diesel a basic quick check is to just start it up - FROM COLD. Make sure to tell the vendor you want to start it from cold - he's not to warm it up before you get there and check that it is cold - check the oil etc. before starting it. If it starts easily, doesn't put out lots of black smoke and runs smoothly, it's probably fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-25-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

At 3000 what do you expect? you could parts it out for more! It's really a question if you want the work,or not!...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 03-25-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

I looked at an E25 and one chainplate was "gone". It was attached to a wooden bulkhead, which needed to be replaced. A PO had installed a tiny woodstove in the head, and water came in through the stovepipe penetration and wet the bulkhead. The deck still appeared sound. I think it is common in these boats for rot on the wooden bulkhead where the plates bolt on. At least the attachment point is not deeply hidden. And it allowed the chainplates to be more inboard, out of the way of the sails.

Looked like the bulkhead was installed before the deck was fitted to the hull. So a repair would require replacing it in two pieces and joining them in place.

If you go the the Ericson website there are threads on fixing this problem.

Last edited by skygazer; 03-25-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2012

I went and looked at it(first look). I did not hear the motor run yet but it's supposed to run great. The boat has a lot of wood rot and two cleated are ripped out. Not chainplates. I was wrong. But stanchion bases are weak, port lights are all foggy. The two Cabin top windows/ports leak. Lots of caulking around everything. Two spreader have been replaced with wooden ones. And one is split and rotted. Lots of the veneer is missing. Both doors, one to head and one to v-berth are gone. There has been a lot of water infiltration I think PO neglected boat terribly. I also think the boat had standing water in it
Above the
Bilge/sole the wood veneer is separating from the sole up about 3-4" in the entire boat.
Attached Thumbnails
early 70's Ericson 32-image.jpg  

Last edited by champlain94; 03-25-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

You have to ask yourself how much of a project are you looking for. sounds like a 2+ year project. is this boat on the hard or in the water. and why would you think the engine runs perfect if all the other parts of the boat have been let go. have you seen the sails and where have they been they stored. sounds like parts boat to me. even if you want the project don't spend more then the salvage price of the engine maybe $500. you will easily spend twice what it could be worth just making it sailable.
Old 03-25-2012

Add Content
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by champlain94; 03-25-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2012

Missing cleat and some
Interior rot
Attached Thumbnails
Old 03-25-2012

Add Content
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by champlain94; 03-25-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2012

Sagging cabin top. Not under mast but port and starboard sides
Attached Thumbnails