SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Catalina 22s Good Years Bad Years

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JimMcGee 
#1 ·
Anyone have any opinions whether or not there are certain years of Catalina 22s to stay away from or are some better than others. Looking at 22s that are from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. Can't really find anything to say whether or not there were off years for Catalina. Anyone have an opinion whether a pop top is really more desirable than a non pop top?

#2 ·
probably a better question for that other board for trailer types (not that I'd recommend that)... but

Honestly I think the biggest question is of the swing keels, which ones have had the cable guides, and cable replaced, as well as the stop pin.

I think, as with any boat, the better the boat is maintained, the more likely the boat will be a good buy. The 70s boats were heavy glassed, and as you get into the newer models (90s+) they are lighter build-ups.

A boat that is THAT popular, has it's own owners site, and probably you'd be best served asking the question at that class site. Catalina 22 National Sailing Association

I own the Capri 22 (similar boat, designed to have more sail controls than the Cat22) but have found the one-design owners REALLY know their boats.

#3 ·
No good/bad years that I'm aware of. Swing/fin/wing keel is the biggest difference with fans in each camp.

A lot will depend on where you're going to sail and how you're going to use the boat. Ours was a wing with a pop-top. We never used the pop-top because we just day sailed her. If we were overnighting it would have been a nice feature. Also if you're looking at pop tops check to see if it has a pop top cover to keep the bugs out. A trailer in good condition is also a big plus.

Check out this Catalina 22 site for more info

These are nice boats with a big following. Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.