Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Looking at buying a Discovery 47'

jg - take a look at bumfuzzle.com:

http://www.bumfuzzle.com/Pages/2010/....php#Spindrift

They are living aboard a 43'er - and you'll get a very good idea of the kind of maintenance that's involved. It seems to working out great for them, but they are in Mexico and are able to handle the ongoing expenses.

Either way, they're great people - and their blog gives a lot of great info...including costs for everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Speaking of gas docks, where is the closest one if you are anchoring in English Bay? As far as I know the one near Burrard Civic Marina has been closed for years. Coal Harbour?
Coal Harbour, Fisherman's Cove and Sewell's in Horseshoe Bay are probably the closest. They along with Mosquito Creek and Deep Cove are it AFAIK.

I'm sure there are some water hoses in False Creek but you'd have to raft up to access them unless there's one at the Market docks.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-29-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Speaking of gas docks, where is the closest one if you are anchoring in English Bay? As far as I know the one near Burrard Civic Marina has been closed for years. Coal Harbour?
The False Creek fuel barge reopened last year at the same location so that's not a big issue anymore. Not Esso, but an independant.

The market docks are not quite as 'visitor friendly' as they once were, but they are all new and more extensive...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-29-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The False Creek fuel barge reopened last year at the same location so that's not a big issue anymore. Not Esso, but an independent.
That's good - I didn't know that.
Old 03-29-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
jg - take a look at bumfuzzle.com:

bumfuzzle | june 2010

They are living aboard a 43'er - and you'll get a very good idea of the kind of maintenance that's involved. It seems to working out great for them, but they are in Mexico and are able to handle the ongoing expenses.

Either way, they're great people - and their blog gives a lot of great info...including costs for everything.
Thank you very much! I was following disengage.ca which was what gave me the idea for anchoring being possible since he lived out at Kit's beach after getting kicked out of False creek, but he didn't list a lot of costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Coal Harbour, Fisherman's Cove and Sewell's in Horseshoe Bay are probably the closest. They along with Mosquito Creek and Deep Cove are it AFAIK.

I'm sure there are some water hoses in False Creek but you'd have to raft up to access them unless there's one at the Market docks.
Disengage.ca talks about the water taps under the bridge, I'm trying to find contact info for him, and the couple who live aboard sv Asunto, according to their site they started out anchoring for a few years first around here before buying a boat in the Co-op. Would fuel docks be tolerant of tanking up on water if you're buying diesel at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
JG, just a quick reality check - Working at a city job while living at anchor, particularly in a climate like ours, is very different from cruising - so different in fact that it might put you off cruising entirely. Rowing back & forth in the rain & cold would get old in a hurry. It's very difficult to maintain "city" or "office" clothes and grooming under those circumstances. Picture rowing ashore in a November rain with a couple of garbage bags of laundry, which you have to bicycle to the laundromat (if your bike hasn't been stolen). Every few days you'll have to up anchor just to go fill your water tanks. AFAIK there isn't anywhere near any anchorages where water is available to just anybody who stops by. The gas docks will quickly tire of seeing you if you aren't buying fuel from them regularly.

Living aboard here, even in a deluxe marina, requires adjustments and compromises that few are prepared to make once the reality hits home. Living at anchor multiplies them exponentially. This ain't the tropics.

That's a really good point, I had been thinking of a motor, but it would probably disappear fast! Do most people who live at anchor here row instead of using a motor to avoid theft? What sort of a dinghy is safe for back and forth and beaching in all weather with decent cargo capacity?

I'd likely continue using the same bag setup on my bike if I can afford the insurance on top of the boat costs.

If not I'll be moving the battery on my E-bicycle(48V 10AH lithium and a 1000w rear engine) into the frame triangle and I can swap the saddlebags over from my bike, they are just modified bicycle bags.
I'd need a way to transport in the dinghy without losing it overboard like happened to the owner of disengage.ca's bike, any thoughts on how to do that?

I need to maintain a reasonable level of cleanliness, but other than a beard trim every couple weeks(battery power razor I charge once a month) that is pretty much limited to a shower before I start work, I can do like the people who work out before shift. In terms of clothes, I just need hole free pants and clean shirts. I wear a mix of quick dry nylon(travel) pants and jeans, lightweight cotton shirts under a fleece to cut down on laundromat expenses.

Every point helps me to learn about those differences, you've given me several more things to try and figure out, thanks!

Quote:
The False Creek fuel barge reopened last year at the same location so that's not a big issue anymore. Not Esso, but an independant.

The market docks are not quite as 'visitor friendly' as they once were, but they are all new and more extensive...
Hmm, there's teacher who lives on a houseboat, and a couple more who commute across to Granville island by water I think, I'll ask them about how they park. If I could take care of most things in one place that would make life a lot simpler.

Do you know anybody currently living aboard in Van long term outside of False Creek or a Marina, I'd really appreciate a chance to talk it over with someone who's done it, see what I might be in for.
Old 04-03-2012

benajah is on a distinguished road
Wow is Vancouver really that bad? I thought the SF Bay area was bad but that sounds much worse.
Old 04-03-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Yes, it is that bad.

Victoria is the place to be.
Old 04-03-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Do you know anybody currently living aboard in Van long term outside of False Creek or a Marina, I'd really appreciate a chance to talk it over with someone who's done it, see what I might be in for.

There's a Catalina 36 called "Pegasus" that seems to cycle in and out of False Creek (probably wearing out their permit, moving out and re applying, etc etc) When they are not in the creek the boat is anchored just past the Maritime Museum in English Bay, edge of the fairway. You might see if you can catch them sometime (do you have any kind of boat now?)

There is also a floathome community just east of the Ocean Cement plant and it might be worth chatting up some members there for some inside info.

You may find that most of those living aboard on the hook in the area will tend to be rather reclusive - but you may get lucky. The liveaboard communities in marinas are usually a pretty friendly bunch and should be happy to discuss the realities of the lifestyle.

Other floathomes areas are in North Vancouver's marinas as well as in Ladner's Canoe Cove area on the river. Shelter Island marina on the New West/Richmond border further up the river also allows liveaboards, I believe.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-03-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by benajah View Post
Wow is Vancouver really that bad? I thought the SF Bay area was bad but that sounds much worse.
It's almost impossible here - you have to buy a boat with a transferable berth, just like in the early 70's. S.F conditions are merely a dream here - that big floathome area in Sausalito, living aboard at scruffy docks in San Rafael, picking up a berth for a big boat anytime in Alameda - I wish. The fact that you have lots of regular wind is also merely a dream here.

I don't envy your dry storage rates though - $1/foot a DAY 9 years ago in San Rafael. I paid $350 a MONTH for my 43', 5 minutes from home back then. Even now, I only pay 40% of those 2003 S.F. rates.

Having to motor all the way to Napa to be able to afford to work on your boat for a stretch would be a pain.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-03-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There's a Catalina 36 called "Pegasus" that seems to cycle in and out of False Creek (probably wearing out their permit, moving out and re applying, etc etc) When they are not in the creek the boat is anchored just past the Maritime Museum in English Bay, edge of the fairway. You might see if you can catch them sometime (do you have any kind of boat now?)

There is also a floathome community just east of the Ocean Cement plant and it might be worth chatting up some members there for some inside info.

You may find that most of those living aboard on the hook in the area will tend to be rather reclusive - but you may get lucky. The liveaboard communities in marinas are usually a pretty friendly bunch and should be happy to discuss the realities of the lifestyle.

Other floathomes areas are in North Vancouver's marinas as well as in Ladner's Canoe Cove area on the river. Shelter Island marina on the New West/Richmond border further up the river also allows liveaboards, I believe.
Too funny, the owner of the Pegasus is sitting next to me at work most days. We've worked together for months and I just mentioned that I was looking at boats in passing a day before reading your post.

I've been bookmarking people I want to bug for advice on here when I remember. Real life would be good too though. I'll be over in Victoria Friday the 13th to take a look at a couple boats like that CS36T in anyone wouldn't mind a visitor for a bit.

Can sailboats dock in the N Van marinas? That might not be too bad of an option.