Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking at buying a Discovery 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Too funny, the owner of the Pegasus is sitting next to me at work most days. We've worked together for months and I just mentioned that I was looking at boats in passing a day before reading your post.

I've been bookmarking people I want to bug for advice on here when I remember. Real life would be good too though. I'll be over in Victoria Friday the 13th to take a look at a couple boats like that CS36T in anyone wouldn't mind a visitor for a bit.

Can sailboats dock in the N Van marinas? That might not be too bad of an option.
They are all full, especially the limited number of liveaboard slips. I heard two days ago that Sewells had some, or a berth, available in the 33-35 range but no liveaboards there anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2013
Bill

white74 is on a distinguished road

just noticed this thread
the biggest question is do you want a place to live? or a sailboat?
most boats degrade rather quickly if not being used regularly
if you would like to live on the water I would consider looking into a float home
many live aboard I've seen are usually minimally maintained and become derelict after 5-10 years
living on a working boat is much different than living aboard
the price issues on maintenance and things like sail repair and replacement
can vary drastically from one boat to the next to do a comparison try looking a several boats and sail prices at maui pro they have a large online database with sails and prices to compare for a huge variety of boats
LOA increases costs dramatically each foot costs many $ in both purchase price and maintenance as well as parts being $$$$
the co-op sounds like a good deal but most of what you would be paying for is the assumable moorage
just my $ .02

Bill White
1976 Discovery 32
on permanent anchor near Victoria not living aboard
Old 02-12-2013

Starbuck is on a distinguished road

I lived aboard a San Juan 24 for two years while a student at SFU in the early 80's. Worked out OK although I would have liked to have been able to stand up in the boat. Costs go way up dramatically with the size of boat not just because it has more gear. Haul outs, paint, moorage and other things. Currently have a Yamaha 33 and my family and I cruise on her in the summer through the Gulf Islands and up to Desolation Sound. I think that you could find a pretty nice boat for under $50K which you and your girlfriend could live on. I have spoken to the owner of the Union Steamship Company Marina on Bowen and he has some legal liveaboard spaces. Its the number of people he has approval for, not the size of boat. There is a per head surcharge for living aboard there. If you can find an older French boat with three cabins I think you'll be OK.
Old 03-03-2013

JimAndTricia is on a distinguished road

Here's my two cents from one west coaster to another.
If you want a floating condo and can work out the liveaboard situation so that you are secure in your location and liveaboard costs, then go ahead and buy it and HOPE that you can get away with $3,000 a year for upkeep costs.
But......if you want to go offshore someday, run as fast as you can from this deal. It's way more than you can afford and it's way too much boat to single hand and look after by yourself. Look to spend the same overall amount (purchase plus upgrades) on a boat in the 32 to 38 foot range and you will actually be able to go sailing rather than be chained to a money pit.
My wife and I have worked for 30 years and have owned a half dozen boats during that time, cruising 25,000 miles up and down the B.C. coast and Southeast Alaska. We how are lucky enough to own a 46 foot sailboat on which we are heading south this coming fall. Even though we can afford her and her upkeep (just), she still seems a bit more than we really need sometimes.
Much better to own a smaller great boat than a bigger mediocre boat.

So, I hope that was worth two cents.

Good luck and don't be in a rush to buy.