Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012
RNC725

RNC725 is on a distinguished road
Re: First Boat for Family of Six (in Oz)

hey, whats the best way to hang your hammock from roller furling? Slap straps? line? any special trick or knot?

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bobby Centers
s/v CIRCLE
1967 Cal-30
Augusta, GA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2012

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Hey Bent,

A couple of years ago we cruised around Broken Bay and further abroard on a Supersonic 27, it worked well for just the two of us, and often we also did 'campout' cruises with extras onboard.

Could the budget extend at all??? As I am sure you are aware your budget is very hopeful. Anything at this price point would have to be a severe compromise of one kind or another, ie people sleeping in the cockpit......sleeping bags on the floor etc. In terms of introducing a family to cruising, i would recommend doing everything you can to make it a enjoyable experience.

If you could squeeze the budget even a touch I would highly recommend looking at a Columbia 34.
An early American design, however the aussie boats were built here and are alot newer. They are huge for a 34 footer, and can sleep 7 with everyone in their very own bunk.You would get one for 40K.

Have a look at this one. Been on the market for over a year.
COLUMBIA 34 SLOOP boat details - BoatPoint Australia

I have sailed on a Carter 33, they are a fast boat, would be fun daysailing around the lake, but smallish cockpit( I completely agree with TDW a liveable cockpit is important), feels cramped down below as well, particularly compared to the Columbia 34 mentioned above, it is a very practical layout at least. I know a bloke who cruised the eastcoast with a couple of additional crew on a Carter 33 and he made it work.

I tend to think if you get a 27 something you will either love cruising and have outgrown the boat almost immediately, or it could put your family off the experience .

My two cents and this is going to be controversial, but if you want to go outside Lake Macquarie and cruise the NSW coast(and up to QLD- I WILL convince you to do that cruise with your family) then forget a trailer sailor, the NSW coast is not where I would want to be in a TS. Just my thoughts, others will disagree.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 03-28-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
If you could squeeze the budget even a touch I would highly recommend looking at a Columbia 34.
An early American design, however the aussie boats were built here and are alot newer. They are huge for a 34 footer, and can sleep 7 with everyone in their very own bunk.You would get one for 40K.
That's a smaller version of my 43. I can recommend it although the looks of the 34 put some people off due to the high freeboard - it's the same height as my 43.

That price seems very high - they go for 1/2 that here.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-28-2012

Sadly that is OZ SloopJon, every boat here is twice the price it would be in the states.
With our dollar now higher, so many sailors I know are seriously looking at buying in the US and sailing home. Also I am lead to believe that most of the US Columbia 34's were built in the early 70's, the ones built over here were built in the lare 70's/early 80's.

I agree the looks of the Columbia's are not to everyone's taste.

Old 03-28-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Chall .... We discussed the trailor sailor option in the old thread. Bent's problem is that he has nowhere to park the boat/trailer. Other than that I thought it made a bit of sense. With limited space on board pulling up to the beach extends the availabe space and the kids could always pitch a tent. I wouldn't be all that worried about sailing the NSW coast in a TS cos other than down to Broken Bay or up to Port Stephens Bent doesn't plan taking this boat further afield. If its not feasible however then thats that.

Sloop .... yep to the dollars. unfortunately it doesn't make sense to ship a smaller boat to Oz, the freight coats make it prohibitive. Of course sailing home is emminently doable provided the boat is sea(ocean)worthy.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Sadly that is OZ SloopJon, every boat here is twice the price it would be in the states.
With our dollar now higher, so many sailors I know are seriously looking at buying in the US and sailing home. Also I am lead to believe that most of the US Columbia 34's were built in the early 70's, the ones built over here were built in the lare 70's/early 80's.

I agree the looks of the Columbia's are not to everyone's taste.
The Tripp Columbias were built until the Payne designs took over - about '75. Columbia built all over under license - they were built in Vancouver, Italy etc.

Sounds from your timeline like some obsolescent tooling may have been shipped to Oz so production could resume.

As to their looks, I can't recall ever seeing a flush decked boat I didn't like, a boat I thought had too much beam and only a couple that I thought had too much overhang. In todays design world, except for the beam, I'm pretty much a lost soul.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-28-2012

Like I said my thoughts on the TS were just that, personally I wouldn't want to be on a TS with a dinky outboard and 4 kids off NSW on a day with a decent bit of wind and swell, even on a run from Lake Mac to Pittwater, Yeah sure you could wait for a flat day, but that's not really fair dinkum sailing then is it??
Not saying it can't be done, just saying it wouldn't be me doing it and If a TS is ruled out well then thats that.

I think if a bunk for everyone is a requirement then you are looking at a handful of boats 30+. The Columbia is the one I think meets that requirement the best. I would also caution against trying to buy the cheapest example on the market of any boat, it can be a real trap.

Old 03-28-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

With the internet you can order world wide. A hammock really is not a patent that is exclusive. They should make them, some mosquito netting and camping gear. Boats that have very similar lines and function are sure to be found. I think it is a great idea to look over the rest of the world for ideas.
Old 04-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Bent, How's it going ? Have you had the chance to look anything over as yet ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 04-04-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

When I was in my early 30s, I had a wife and four kids (ages 7 to 1). Our first family boat was a Bayfield 32. Very sturdy and forgiving boat which was important since we were not that experienced back then. We found that you could sleep three or four kids in a space designed for two adults pretty easily, too. Not sure if there are any Bayfields down under, though.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!