Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: First Boat for Family of Six (in Oz)

Already have ourselves an open boat for day-sailing. Couta's are longer and far more appealing on the eyes than what we've got, but if I'm going to spend $35K-$55K on a boat, I want to cruise in it.

Never, yet, had an issue with the occasional shallow sandbars around here. Although I think I recall waking up when someone else hit one. Memory is kind of fuzzy on that though
tdw and Classic30 like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
With the "camping" aspect in mind, I've come across a Van Der Stadt MAESTRO 31 in my price range. Looks very nice but I've never sailed one nor have (yet) talked to someone who has. Does anyone know what these boats are like?
My advice: Stick with the Clansman. You can't go too wrong buying a boat with a known pedigree and a quick check on Boatpoint shows there are a few around to choose from.
Old 07-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Speaking of shallow water: Something a little out of left-field that might be ideal for your sailing grounds is an old Couta Boat. There are plenty for sale at good prices.

(I'm only half joking).
Which half ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Which half ?
Exactly. She's a beautiful boat, but not a cheap one (especially for a day-sailor)!
Old 07-22-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
Exactly. She's a beautiful boat, but not a cheap one (especially for a day-sailor)!
Meh.. Couta's come in a range of sizes, are (very) shallow draft, non-racing versions can be bought within your budget, and are indeed pretty to look at.

Day-sailers is all they are ...but the lack of winches and home-comforts and general slowness compared to what you're currently looking at probably won't work for you.

Besides, they're made of wood.

Last edited by Classic30; 07-22-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2012

The slowness, not such a big deal, but not really that interested in a just a day sailor. Made some headway on a boat based on your other advice though - so it looks like I may not have to worry too much about "settling" for only days on the water
Old 07-23-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Not sure of the budget, but doesn't the Hartley designs have some larger versions? are some pro built if you will vs being home made? one of them might work........

Otherwise, not sure what to say on brands that might be available down under.........

oh yeah, did you figger out what causes them rug rats?......

Marty
also a father of 4!
Old 07-23-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

My main issue with many of the smaller yachts is comfort at anchor. I know i've blathered on about this before but when you have an interior a'la standard Compass 28 or 29/Clansman/Duncanson 29 you have a dinette to starboard in which anything larger than a hobbit or a cavalier spaniel could not possibly get comfortable and galley opposite. The older Northerner had a smaller galley aft to port with settee berths both sides. You lose the table unless you install one on centreline but you gain comfort.

Unless you can get yourself into a comfy position you will not use the boat for overnighting.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-23-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Not sure of the budget, but doesn't the Hartley designs have some larger versions? are some pro built if you will vs being home made? one of them might work........
Yes, there are indeed some larger Hartleys and I (of all people) would be the first to recommend one, but... the trouble is, because many of these were home made - badly - they tend to give the pro built versions a bad name also meaning selling it later becomes a serious problem. To the extent that most I've seen for sale are mooring minders.

If someone were after a largish plywood or ply/fibreglass boat in the 25-30' range that they could customise themselves in their own backyard then, yep, a big Hartley would be worth looking for... but Bent isn't in that market. He's got a family to look after.
Old 07-23-2012

Very true. I have enough work with four boys without adding the gutting/refit of a boat to the equation. I am looking to spend more time with the boys on the water, not another year (or two) working on a boat.

Honestly, from people I've talked to - one of the best ways to "kill the dream" is to start by building / fixing up a boat. I have enough financial reasons to avoid the dream without killing it!
Classic30 likes this.