SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

JeffH, et al.: Kirby 25

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  VIEXILE 
#1 ·
A friend has asked me to look at a Kirby 25, presumably so we can race it, since he sold the frac rig Jeanneau 39. Don''t know year. Basically, I think it''s just a hull and a mast. Any Kirby info resources (I found the spec. brochure online)? We''re talking nearly free, with trailer. The boat will be done up for (fun - limited veins-in-teeth) racing between Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Right now I''m refitting the old Bristol 35 for ma and pa dinking around - including new standing, running, through hulls, instruments, plumbing, refrig., awlgrip, barrier, etc., etc., so I know what I''m up against with helping set up the Kirby. I also understand that there''s a hull/deck joint to be wary of with the Kirby. Also a question of some sort at the masthead with regards to stay kinks. The boat was originally owned by Per Dohm of "Water Taxi" fame in the USVI. Per''s retired now and they moved the boat from Red Hook and have decided to get rid of it. It''s been on hard for at least the past 10 years. Tell me about the Kirby 25. Tell me what''s to be done to make this enough of a sled to make it competitive. I spend more time in the yard than on the water - I might ***** about it, but it''s addictive until I reach overdose, then it''s months before I go back. I can do the glass & rigging, so that''s not a huge concern, and can tell when to walk away, but the project might be fun with my kids'' help. Give me guidance on the K25. History. Contacts. We''d be going full bore to bring it back from the ashes, including a new suit and a slippery bottom. Thanks for any input. KW

See less See more
#2 ·
I own a Kirby 30 (slightly younger and 5'' longer). There is a discussion forum for Kirby 25''s at http://www.stcatharinescc.com/forumkirby/list.asp?fid=20

Same problems apply to both boats:
- wet decks - they used balsa as coring
- deck to hull - this is a light weight racing boat so you will probably need to remove the screws joining hull to deck and rebed, along with all the hardware
- mast - most seem to be replaced on both K25/30 - they use running backstays which some people don''t know how to use

Other than that, they are fast boats. My experience on the K30 shows they are like the Laser - keep them flat, shorten sail (headsail or main) early or they round up / broach quite easily.

Cheers

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.