Hmm, too bad I didn't do that!(Kidding, I like Antares a lot)
Discovered the source of the boat smell. I looked in the bilge.
Black water, not sure how deep, the sludge I poked with a stick was 3/8" or more deep, and smells awful.
A bit surprised the surveyor didn't mention it when suggesting projects to start.
Having a tough time getting a hold of him too, a bit worrying when I've paid him 720$ for a survey that was supposed to be in my inbox by the weekend(survey was 7 days ago).
EDIT: Everything sorted with the surveyor, he's back in my good books, and I'm even more impressed than before. My concerns were promptly and thoroughly addressed once we got back in contact, the lack of survey was due to a mis-communication between two people, and was a totally understandable issue. I would definitely recommend him.
Nevermind refinishing the brightwork or sorting out sleeping arrangements first job is going to be ozone/some type of mold killing activity, followed by disinfecting/cleaning the fresh and black water systems, a top to bottom clean and new foam. After that I'll run a dehumidifier until it gets reasonably dry in there, followed up by another round of ozone to kill anything that started growing during the cleaning and then tea tree oil on everything. The foil insulation panels are also coming out for inspection, I'm worried about what might be growing behind them too now.
I know long term ozone exposure is bad, but a one time use to get ahead of the swamp down there seems sensible, once ahead of it I should be able to keep it from getting like that again.
Just started testing the tea tree oil this week, I took some unpasteurized applejuice that had started to go off, and left it out, 3 days later it was covered in a thick layer of mold. 5 drops of tea tree oil in the center and it's visibly dieing, no smell of mold anywhere either. Very interesting to watch.
Much more fun than the time I spent last night poking my nose into different places on the boat.
EDIT: weird part is, the top of the bilge is spotless, the areas you can see by removing flooring anyways, only back past the aft battery is where it all flows down to, and that's the scary part of the boat! I half expected to see frogs in there.
PO just mentioned the bilge pump doesn't ever get the last 3" of water out. Guess that'll be some fixing.