Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC. - Page 11 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
That's a lot of diesel. The solution is to store heavy spares/tools, etc under the V-berth. Maybe extra canned food as well.

$20/ft is a bit expensive - liveaboard allowed?

My moorage just went up 5% - it is now 16.46 plus tax. Makes my monthly $497.75. Still I consider it a good deal - great location, power included, and the hotel health club is included as well.
Officially: nope. The guy running the lift lives aboard there, and says just to not be a PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Trombones View Post
Hey Jg did you ask again at Burrard Civic? No love?

The Antares that I looked at is being sold by my coworker... a fine specimen for sure, check it out here. He's had the boat for some time and done some significant cruising in her... hawaii and Haida Gwaii...

If we were just looking for something that the two of us could cruise, the Alberg might be good... but I'm really thinking about getting 'the right boat' for a 2-3 month trip up the coast next summer so am really interested in a pilothouse. I like the Cooper 316s, Gulf 29 and 32... and I'm keeping my eyes out for other possibilities...
Looks nice! Burrard is apparently really getting aggressive with security cameras etc to catch non-registered liveaboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Jeremy

I'm not sure if you have seen these sites but they may help.

The Alberg 30 Site

BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Alberg 30

EDITED: Humourous title from website.
^ LOL I think bwb.org has got a virus, or whoever runs the site has a funny sense of humor.

Quote:
The Great Lakes Alberg Assoc.

West Coast Alberg 30 Page

Yves Glinas On Self-Steering
This is the site of Cape Horn windvanes - the owner sailed his A30 around the world - there is a lot here about his boat.

Atom Voyages - The Salsa Voyage
This is about preparing an A30 for a circumnavigation

Thanks for the great links! Atomvoyages is one I look at a lot, I just don't want to go pouring money in at this stage, 650$ extra per month changes the whole activity entirely.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 05-01-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
^ LOL I think bwb.org has got a virus, or whoever runs the site has a funny sense of humour
Thanks - I removed it.
Old 05-01-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ha, you missed an interview with Yves... An Interview with Yves Gelinas - Alberg 30 Jean-Du-Sud - YouTube
and a classic video about Cape Dories but also Alberg... Cape-Dory-Yachts-A-Standard-of-Value - YouTube ha
Thanks - I downloaded it.
Old 05-01-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

If we were just looking for something that the two of us could cruise, the Alberg might be good... but I'm really thinking about getting 'the right boat' for a 2-3 month trip up the coast next summer so am really interested in a pilothouse. I like the Cooper 316s, Gulf 29 and 32... and I'm keeping my eyes out for other possibilities...
There are some sad looking specimens (ie, a tad neglected but perhaps otherwise sound) of boats over at Union Steamships Marina on Bowen Island.. you might take a page out of SNer Itgoshen's book and try to track these apparently absentee owners down and make an offer.

There's a Gulf 29 among them, but a variety of others too. Could well be worth the price of a walk-on ferry ticket and a couple of hours over there.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-01-2012

76Trombones is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Faster, for the tip re Bowen. Will do a day trip over there once my boat is in the water again!
Old 05-01-2012

Hmm, too bad I didn't do that!(Kidding, I like Antares a lot)
Discovered the source of the boat smell. I looked in the bilge.
Black water, not sure how deep, the sludge I poked with a stick was 3/8" or more deep, and smells awful.
A bit surprised the surveyor didn't mention it when suggesting projects to start.
Having a tough time getting a hold of him too, a bit worrying when I've paid him 720$ for a survey that was supposed to be in my inbox by the weekend(survey was 7 days ago).
EDIT: Everything sorted with the surveyor, he's back in my good books, and I'm even more impressed than before. My concerns were promptly and thoroughly addressed once we got back in contact, the lack of survey was due to a mis-communication between two people, and was a totally understandable issue. I would definitely recommend him.

Nevermind refinishing the brightwork or sorting out sleeping arrangements first job is going to be ozone/some type of mold killing activity, followed by disinfecting/cleaning the fresh and black water systems, a top to bottom clean and new foam. After that I'll run a dehumidifier until it gets reasonably dry in there, followed up by another round of ozone to kill anything that started growing during the cleaning and then tea tree oil on everything. The foil insulation panels are also coming out for inspection, I'm worried about what might be growing behind them too now.

I know long term ozone exposure is bad, but a one time use to get ahead of the swamp down there seems sensible, once ahead of it I should be able to keep it from getting like that again.

Just started testing the tea tree oil this week, I took some unpasteurized applejuice that had started to go off, and left it out, 3 days later it was covered in a thick layer of mold. 5 drops of tea tree oil in the center and it's visibly dieing, no smell of mold anywhere either. Very interesting to watch.
Much more fun than the time I spent last night poking my nose into different places on the boat.

EDIT: weird part is, the top of the bilge is spotless, the areas you can see by removing flooring anyways, only back past the aft battery is where it all flows down to, and that's the scary part of the boat! I half expected to see frogs in there.

PO just mentioned the bilge pump doesn't ever get the last 3" of water out. Guess that'll be some fixing.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 05-03-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2012

Update: We're goin' to Granville island!
bloody expensive(20$/ft) but the savings of going farther north or south enough to drop the cost substantially don't add up, adding a vehicle or other expenses makes it a draw, with the location ending up the deciding factor. I get full internet(wifi from school)/unmetered electric included.
I'll be sharing Antares with Krystal, and she's just landed a job at the boatyard there, so we'll be right next to her work, 2 minutes from our school and 15 min from my work.
They've also offered to give us advice on upgrades to Antares. We worked out a rough plan for equivalence as well, Krystal is uncomfortable with a free ride, a sentiment I can totally appreciate, I've had trouble being comfortable anywhere I'm getting a free ride, but the job is only seasonal. With the experience she'll be gaining, she's going to put in an agreed upon number of hours into upgrading Antares through the winter in place of paying a share of the moorage fees.
Old 05-07-2012

Update again: We made it to Granville, some white knuckles on my part, but smooth motoring all the way.

all was not what it seemed. The "brand new 2011 Yanmar" is a '96. With an oil leak, and possibly a rusting through area.

The "brand new cruising mainsail" is a used sail bought off another boat.
The tank capacities were in L not gallons in some cases.
The bilge pump doesn't reach the last 3" of water, it's oily and wonderfully moldy too.

The whole reason I went for her, rather than a more equipped and easier to live aboard boat needing less cosmetic work was because of that new engine and sail with rigging recently updated.
She'll be a great boat when I'm done, but I'm now worried about whatever other "fixes" have been applied. We'll be going bottom to top(taking care of the really seriously important bits first!)

Caveat emptor indeed.
Old 05-07-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Update again: We made it to Granville, some white knuckles on my part, but smooth motoring all the way.

all was not what it seemed. The "brand new 2011 Yanmar" is a '96. With an oil leak, and possibly a rusting through area.

The "brand new cruising mainsail" is a used sail bought off another boat.
The tank capacities were in L not gallons in some cases.
The bilge pump doesn't reach the last 3" of water, it's oily and wonderfully moldy too.

The whole reason I went for her, rather than a more equipped and easier to live aboard boat needing less cosmetic work was because of that new engine and sail with rigging recently updated.
She'll be a great boat when I'm done, but I'm now worried about whatever other "fixes" have been applied. We'll be going bottom to top(taking care of the really seriously important bits first!)

Caveat emptor indeed.
So you didn't get as good a deal as you first thought, you still got a very good buy. The bilge pump issue sounds like an easy fix.

Don't worry, all boats need to be worked on - it's part of what draws most of us to them. If all you had to do was sail them it would quickly get boring IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-07-2012

SloopJonb: I would normally agree, except that the new sail and engine were mitigating the other repairs she needs, if the ad had been correct, I would have not accepted the offer from the owner, and jumped through tons of hoops and additional expenses to make it all happen in a week, from seeing her to sale to loan to survey(at 24$/ft) to purchase.

The next owner will surely appreciate the care and attention. I told the owner about a Jeep I'd bought and built, the next owner sure loved it, he promised me he wasn't dumping a mess like that onto me, and it's exactly what I've got! The next owner's going to love me, same as with the Jeep but the hopes I had for sailing this summer appear to be moving farther away.

I had a line on an immaculate CS33, which I passed on due to sail and engine age, and they were newer than what I've actually got!
There are corrosion issues on the engine in addition to the leak, the wires are cut to the hours meter, the cockpit sole has the big cut line from where someone(stupidly) stuffed the diesel tank in behind the engine causing the squat she has.
The interior basically needs to be redone entirely, mold/damp have damaged most things including woodwork, the leaking oil/general crap in the bilge aren't helping the pump any. The same with 90% of the brightwork. Everything from the inverter(dead) to the VHF(gone), exterior lighting(broken or silly) to the sea-valves need work. I can't hoist a sail at all without voiding insurance until I replace the tiller. No electrical(DC or AC) until everything's redone/replaced and no propane usage until I drop a few hundred there.
I do re-learn eventually but the process isn't painless! I had hoped to perform basic maintenance and upgrades, anknd not lose my shirt on my first boat, I already had my eye on what I was working towards.
Such is life, I'm not worried about it, I know I can do it, I am just displeased. I have fallback options, but nobody likes being a sucker, though I still think the previous owner is a genuinely nice guy who got carried away when writing his ad and didn't check his facts, rather than someone who played me deliberately.

I sort of felt like the Robinson's with their bow, each time we came across another issue/dodgy DIY fix over the past week I'd think that at least we had the new engine and sail up until that failed to deliver!

Thankfully Mitiempo is going come over from the island to help me re-do the electrical, and has been great helping me find the right electrical panels without me spending a ton of cash on things I don't need since I'd be a lamb to the slaughter again otherwise.
My dad was really impressed with his work, and he doesn't impress easily when it comes to attention to detail and care, so I know at least one part of her is going to be solid right off the bat!
I had initially planned to leave her with her current name, despite having had a name in mind, but it's too fitting now to pass up.

Guess I'd better go start that build blog:-)

Last edited by Jgbrown; 05-07-2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: grammer