Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC. - Page 14 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012

76Trombones is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

Ugh. Just caught up on this thread... Sorry to hear about all the frustration and disappointment Jeremy. Glad that it has worked out a bit better lately though...
Anyone looking for a NICE Alberg 30, my co-worker still has his for sale... you won't find a nicer more honest seller, and he's taken great care of the boat over the past 8 years of cruising her (Maui, and Haida Gwaii included).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

I did a cruise and learn this past weekend that started and ended on Granville. I saw Antares on the dock and went over to say hello. Jeremy and Brian (mitiempo) were on board doing a very extensive and necessary re-wiring job.

It was nice to be able to attach names and faces.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-26-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

It was nice to meet you too Jack. Mitiempo(Brian) is heading back to Victoria, 4 days of hard work, and Antares' electrical system is fantastic now! He does great work, I'd say it was cheap, considering the tremendous amount of work that he did, but that would be doing the quality of his work a disservice.
From before the job even started he was helping me figure out what to do in terms of the panel, helping me find better deals and educating me on what to look for, and where to spend or save on parts.

He re-wired the boat end to end, replacing almost all of the wiring(including a huge chunk of engine wiring that was bizarre)basically the only things left were the engine and engine control panel harness. The wires up the mast(but rewiring that whole connection as the terminal block was a disaster, with doubled up positives and other oddities. (someone ran a standard cable but used both black and red for +, with a shared ground on a bar).
Removing all the wiring that was left in place but cut on both ends, tracing each wire out, and re-designing how the electricity is handled on the boat, with proper ground busses etc. 5 grocery bags of wire came out. Large rolls went in, cut exactly to fit with proper ends and heatshrink.
All the wiring is logical, ordered and easy to understand, with connections set aside for future upgrades.

Best of all, I now at least have a good idea of what each thing actually does, Brian taught me a lot about what he was installing as he did it, and how all the different components worked and where their wires ran.

If I had tried to do this myself, I think I would have regretted it, although I was initially worried about the cost of doing this all at once up front, I am so thankful I decided to go for it. What Brian did in 10 minutes would take me hours to figure out, if I ever got there at all. Now I have a totally solid and reliable system, and I understand how to fix it for the most part. This makes everything else I need to do easier too, since I can run power tools etc as I need, and got a lot of good advice on where to go next, not just electrically.

He also produced the best quote about the survey. He said that he'd seen many good surveys, as well as bad ones, and that mine was just fine, the only problem being that it had nothing to do with my actual boat.

I was planning to give the boat a good clean today, but then the holding tank decided to let go through the toilet at an unpleasant rate, on my nice clean floor and into the bilge.
Pump won't hold it back even locked out, I capped the vent line and tried the discharge pump to build some vacuum in the system, to stop it so we could go pump out. No luck, that pump is plugged completely. Went to the pump out station, on the way we got to (re)discover the Alberg's lack of reverse, something I'll have to work on figuring out how to handle soon. Once we made it to the dock, we discovered that the system has so many air leaks the pump won't suck it out. I added extra hose clamps and taped all the joints but the vacuum would just pull it in and then keep leaking air, refusing to pick up any crap.
We had to run the hose through the hatch and down into the inspection port to suck out the delightful soup. A solid half inch of filth remains based on the thickness I could see having scraped the sides with the hose a bit. They didn't allow any fresh water to be added, so I'll have to go back and forth quite a few times I think.
The person running the pump out station said it was 5$/run of the pump, and since it took 5 tries of sucking air it should be 30$, but that since it wasn't really working properly we could just pay for one.

Removing the head at least went way up the list of priorities, still have to figure out a way to clean it so I don't get coated in **** when I cut the tank up to remove it. Mitiempo had a great suggestion for replacement, instead of going to a composting toilet. After that's sorted hopefully I can get to the mast beam repairs without too much more drama.
Old 05-26-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Came by your boat a couple of times today, but missed you, obviously.

Life's an adventure, isnt' it?

Kudos to Brian indeed.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-27-2012

Any wiring can be a nightmare if not done properly. I was on a boat on which the previous owner had decided he needed a blower. So he got some dryer hose and a 12 volt fan which he hooked up to a positive and a ground with a switch. The end result was a short in the system that drained the batteries after a period of time sailing. We were unable to start the engine and had to sail into Port Renfrew where the good folks lent us a couple of battery chargers.

I saw some of that mess that came out of your boat.
Old 05-28-2012

Sounds familiar! I had a bilge blower too, the hose is just loose on top of the driveshaft and stuck somewhere before the Lazarette, and oddly the blower was taped to one hose, the other hose went to the other side of the blower. Not sure what the benefit was really in recirculating air... Considering both were loose lying in the Lazarette, even without the direct loop I can't imagine the air exchange was very good. Hose won't get taken out till I get in behind the engine, still haven't figured out how to do that.
It was very nice to meet you, are you often in Vancouver?

Faster: What time did you stop by? If you let me know ahead of time, I'll be there for sure so long as it's not during work.
Old 05-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
It was very nice to meet you, are you often in Vancouver?
Not very often. I have been doing most trips out of Sidney. I will be back in Vancouver in the middle of August. The boat I am bringing back from Maui is docked at the Vancouver Rowing Club.
Old 05-29-2012

Cool Well hopefully by mid-August Antares will be sailable and ship shape.
Old 05-30-2012

The owner of the surveying company came by just now. He looked over the boat, and acknowledged mistakes had been made. I appreciated his thoroughness and honesty about my situation, and his assessment of the repairs I'm facing and how I might tackle them. We've left it at that for now, we'll both reflect on things, and talk over a refund of a portion of the survey cost to help with the mast support repair.

That he took the time to do this, didn't bull **** me about any part of the situation says a lot about his integrity, and the values of his company.

Edit:I'll be more detailed when I am not writing from my phone.
Old 05-30-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

LOL- you're phoning in a post about a surveyor who appeared to have phoned it in.
mitiempo and Jgbrown like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.