Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC. - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

jgb.. you know, we get a lot of 'I want to buy this boat, and do this, and try this, then sail around the world and what do you all think?' new posters here on SN and it seems more often than not all they want is 'atta boys' and validation of often hare-brained schemes. Often they take umbrage at suggestions that they're not really 'there' yet.

You are to be commended for heeding much of the advice you've received here, taking the comments and even nay sayers with good grace, and now you have a modified objective that seems achievable.

Kudos, too, to the members here for taking the time and contributing thoughts and ideas on this thread and all the others too.. as Smacky often says, this place rocks!
Jgbrown likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

This place absolutely does rock, without it, and the good advice here I would have been looking at some pretty impractical boats for what I'm actually doing now, and for what I want to do eventually.
That's part of why I set my budget so high(for me) at 50k, it seemed to me that trying to get a 10k boat that you could both live-aboard and sail long distances was pretty impossible.
a 50k boat will take me about 7 years to pay off. The differences between a 20k boat and a 35k boat seemed to be fairly minor, but after 40k a big jump appeared.

I'm not anywhere, I know I haven't got a clue

The Alberg is an oddball, it seems almost completely ready for going offshore, tough, roomy and easy to handle, and a screaming deal of utility for price(16k), I could pay it off by Christmas, and it has a new yanmar(150 hrs), mainsail, fully insulated, LED lighting, marine Fusion stereo, new head, tons of tankage and storage only the 35/36' boats beat. The sacrifice is the head has no separate compartment and no shower.
The owners live on the hook, and are willing to help with the transition.

Tough choices to make... Too many good boats.

Thanks again to everyone who's contributed, whether directly in the thread, or in the great posts and guides I read.
Old 04-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
The Alberg is an oddball, it seems almost completely ready for going offshore, tough, roomy and easy to handle, and a screaming deal of utility for price(16k), I could pay it off by Christmas, and it has a new yanmar(150 hrs), mainsail, fully insulated, LED lighting, marine Fusion stereo, new head, tons of tankage and storage only the 35/36' boats beat. The sacrifice is the head has no separate compartment and no shower.
The owners live on the hook, and are willing to help with the transition
That's the first time I ever heard an Alberg 30 referred to as "roomy". That does sound like a great deal though - that new diesel probably cost more than that by the time it was running in the boat. If you find it comfortable, go for it. There's nothing better than a boat that's paid for.
mitiempo likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That's the first time I ever heard an Alberg 30 referred to as "roomy". That does sound like a great deal though - that new diesel probably cost more than that by the time it was running in the boat. If you find it comfortable, go for it. There's nothing better than a boat that's paid for.

I wouldn't call it roomy exactly, the actual space is somewhat limited, but the usability of it is great, as a liveaboard it had better use of space than the Aloha 32. The aisle was narrower, but there was storage locks behind everything.
The diesel cost 10k, the sail was 6500, so basically the boat is sold for the cost of those two.
It's tempting, but I'm not sure which direction to go.
Old 04-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
I wouldn't call it roomy exactly, the actual space is somewhat limited, but the usability of it is great, as a liveaboard it had better use of space than the Aloha 32. The aisle was narrower, but there was storage locks behind everything.
The diesel cost 10k, the sail was 6500, so basically the boat is sold for the cost of those two.
It's tempting, but I'm not sure which direction to go.
I'd bet that diesel likely cost $10K on a pallet - they don't install themselves. I once spent most of a month of spare time installing a YSM8 in the space where a YSE8 came out. That was damn near a straight replacement and it STILL cost most of a grand in incidentals and a month of spare time 20 years ago.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-16-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
So far so good. Seen some great boats. Seen some questionable boats. Seen some boats.

Started off with a Saturna 33 offshore, nice boat, but the inside was a bit odd. Definitely lived in, but a pretty zany setup, like the lamp with 15' of wire wrapped around the post, rubber tarantulas on the ceiling, and the holes drilled in the trim all over for pencils. I had flashes of the Joker in Batman since they were all stored end up.

It became quickly apparent which boats would work for me, and which wouldn't.

next was a Nonsuch 26, tons of room for the size, but just didn't do it for me.
Up to Nanimo to look at a CS33 and I felt bad for the salesman, junk all over, he opened the cockpit up took a look, turned to us with a sad look. Decent boat overall, and I liked the layout, but it felt a little small inside for the price.
Right next door was one in great condition, way cheaper with self steering vane and obviously well cared for, a different dealer had it though. he didn't stay too long and went off to talk with the wharfinger.

Some pretty fail-laden boats, where the guy was ashing in the sink, and left his roaches sitting all over the edge, obvious liveaboards, with tires and junk all over asking 10k more than the spotless ones.
Some pretty fail-laden brokers too. Not a clue about their boats, or sales for that matter.

One notable exception was Larry Thompson with Bayview yachts in Ladysmith. Every boat he had was in beautiful shape, modern electronics, tons of upgrades, and great prices. His info packets were huge(not a single page), and he knew them inside and out. He took 2 hours to show us 3 boats, one was a beautiful Aloha 32 for a very reasonable price. He outlined anything he thought should be upgraded or replaced, with approximate costs to do so, even down to the level of a specific propane fitting on one boat that he felt was better replaced with a modern fitting.

I would absolutely recommend him to anyone looking for a boat in the area. My dad even agreed, and he's not usually a fan of salespeople at all. If nothing on my current short list pans out, I'm just going to tell him what I'm looking for, I know he'll come through if anyone will.

Right now my shortlist is down to 5 boats, all really solid candidates with good reasons for each. Not bad considering how broad my list was at the start.

CS36T: Solid in every way, functional well built and tons of space, good tankage,power etc. Good supply of spares.

custom steel 36' (pretty in an ugly industrial way, well built and sailed over from Europe.) Felt smaller on deck than the 36T.
Comes with moorage in a nice liveaboard slip.

mid 30s Custom wood restoration of a William Garden design. Beautiful, functional and in need of a little love, incredibly well built, but in need of some repairs.

CS33: Little brother of the 36, less tankage, but well put together, won't save anything in a marina though.
Aloha 32. Some savings over the 33 and 36 in both moorage and purchase price, nice layout, except for the complete lack of V berth.

Alberg 30. This was one of the biggest surprises, a lot roomier than I thought, it actually felt more livable than the Aloha 32, though not as prettily built inside. Very lived in, very easy to live in. Great upgrades inside and out and some really brilliant ideas from the owner. Full keel, skeg rudder. Tons of storage space, the biggest deck lockers I've ever seen, tiller steerage and easy to handle. I felt right at home in it. Owners lived at anchor right through the winter, said it was much more sea-kindly than the Benteneaux 36 he used to sail. More tank capacity than all except the 35 and 36' boats.

Now the biggest problem seems to be finding moorage, the compromise my dad and I have tentatively reached is that if I want his backing on anything more expensive than the Alberg that I need to find real moorage, either a buoy or a slip.

The 36T seems to be the best all around boat, which is what I'd expected, it was always at the top of my list. The others have some real benefits, and some real drawbacks.
I like this kid. No whining, intelligent input, and he's not falling in love with the first boat he sees.

I can understand what you see in the Alberg- it IS a good layout that makes good use of the narrow hull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I like this kid. No whining, intelligent input, and he's not falling in love with the first boat he sees.
I noticed that during the go-round about that monster Discovery he started with. Learning to recognize and TAKE good advice is a lesson all too many people NEVER learn, let alone at an young age.

Personally, I don't fall in love with the first boat I see, I fall in love with almost ALL of the boats I see.

Quote:
I can understand what you see in the Alberg- it IS a good layout that makes good use of the narrow hull.
They're a true classic but that 8' beam sure limits their interior volume and I absolutely HATE that Chinese puzzle of doors to "sort of" close off the head.
Old 04-16-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Alberg 30's are more palatial than you think - the beam is 8'9"

My Cs 27 had a goofy door arrangement as well - a solid door with a second door attached with a vertical hinge to close off the cabin and head. The first thing I said to the seller was "anybody complain about this door?"

I removed it asap.

I agree Jeremy is taking good advice - and getting it as well. He has also found some pretty good boats and at reasonable prices I think.

The steel boat that was sailed from France looks interesting, well equipped and from the pics the condition looks good. The French know metal boats well. As long as it surveys ok.
Old 04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post

Thanks, not sure about the intelligent input part but I have gotten bit enough time not to at least try my best to pay attention.
Sorry for snapping at you in the other thread last night btw. Too far past my bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I noticed that during the go-round about that monster Discovery he started with. Learning to recognize and TAKE good advice is a lesson all too many people NEVER learn, let alone at an young age.

Personally, I don't fall in love with the first boat I see, I fall in love with almost ALL of the boats I see.

They're a true classic but that 8' beam sure limits their interior volume and I absolutely HATE that Chinese puzzle of doors to "sort of" close off the head.
The weird part is that except for the aisle down the center, it had better space than the Aloha 32, way more storage with better access etc. It felt smaller but used bigger if that makes sense, not a bad approach. The full keep protecting prop and skeg hung rudder have some appeal too.

The current owner and his girlfriend threw out that stupid door as soon as they moved in, and fitted a better toilet at the same time.
Apparently it also had the deck cut out and a metal plate added to reinforce it under the mast.

I know what you mean about falling in love with each boat, but most had some glaring dislike immediately as well except the ones I've got in my list now.

Once I get a good look at the last two, I'll put up links to them here with more info.

There are so many reasons to take each one over the others, and so many variables.

EDIT: forgot about that Discovery, still a great looking boat, but a silly choice on my part. Oh well, if you aren't embarrassing yourself once in a while, you're probably not learning anything new. You guys were awfully nice about it though.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 04-16-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
T
Sorry for snapping at you in the other thread last night btw.
Never apologize for getting up in my face. Your response was reasoned, logical, well-written and honest. Nothing in there that requires an apology. Stick around, kid, you offer a rare combination of passion and pragmatism- we need more of that here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.