Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC. - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

Thanks I was a little apprehensive, especially considering the general feelings here about trying to find a 10k blue water boat. There is a lot about the CS33 that really appeals, I think they are certainly a better boat for what I want. The nav station design alone is great.
However with a much older(and not notoriously great) motor, older sails, older stove etc it wasn't three times more boat, but was three times more cost, and harder to find a slip for.
The Alberg was a fantastic deal at the price point, most of the big expensive things have been done(including all thru hulls, water tanks etc). It's the non liner version, so more spacious and easy to find a slip for. Apparently no deck rot(owner pulled a few stanchions etc). No soft spots I could find.
The fact that I can pay it off in a year, means that upgrades are much more feasible(solar, refrigeration) and I can have some money left to sail with.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Score!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Did you get a slip for it? or are you going on the hook right away??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-21-2012

Had two potential slips but way up the Fraser. I wish I could find something closer to work though like mosquito.
Old 04-21-2012

Uh oh. Looks like they're gone. I've got until next Sunday to find myself a slip. This is going to be fun! PM me any tips or if you know any slips within 35km ish of downtown that might be up for grabs for a 30' boat? I'm not too worried about amenties, just having a place to stay!
Old 04-22-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Slips are available, SNer Mystic1 here in Vancouver got a slip at Granville Island recently, but they don't come cheap.

I'm sure you've contacted all the other marinas, but just in case, were the Fraser River ones at Captains Cove, or Shelter Island? Also have you contacted Lynwood Marina in N Van? There will be transient slips available at Fishermans' Wharves in FC but at the daily rate, unfortunately.

Get on every wait list you can and don't wait for a call... pestering them seems to speed things up. Bowen Island is another possibility but not exactly close to town.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-22-2012

Fraser river were neither, they were farther up, just a short ad on Kijiji advertising liveaboard or not at 8$/ft.

Lynwood does most of their contracts yearly on April 1st.

The Granville island slips are all 38' min charge, and a steep rate to start with. If they'd bill me for 30 I could stomach it for the location.

I've found one maybe place, but to control liveaboards they've got a rule that you can be there over night no more than a certain number of nights per week.

I'm game to anchor, but my parents aren't too excited about that plan.

EDIT: I'll check both of the Fraser ones, I'd be quite content being near the airport(it's almost a straight short to work for me) but it is hard to find a spot for a 30' even there!
Old 04-22-2012

wallabycreek is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

I have seen people sailing around the world on all types. Some very cheap. If you value your life you will stay home. If you really need to sail you will buy a bathtub and get going. I personally have done it twice. I loved it and if I die at sea there is no better way to go. You need to read a lot. Try "Around The World Sailing Guide" from Amazon.com
Old 04-24-2012

76Trombones is on a distinguished road

Ok, you'll probably all get a kick out of this posting, but after discovering this thread I pretty much had to become a member and high-jack jgbrown's thread.

Firstly, I own a Luna 24' that's been a great weekend boat for me for the past 7 years. I just got space at Burrard Civic Marina, and also just clipped my keel leaving Silva Bay two weeks ago :S Embarrassing to say the least, because I know better, but the damage isn't too bad. The boat is out of the water getting the keel rebedded at Strait Marine in Steveston. Jgbrown, if you need a place to tie up for a week or two in False Creek you may be able to have my slip until my boat's out of the yard. I'll check with the Marina tomorrow. Maybe fire me a pm with some contact info.

Second part of my message, and the reason I found this thread in the first place... I went and looked at that 34' Pilothouse that was mentioned. I'm a naval architect/mech engineer and would love to own an aluminum boat, and since I'm looking for a pilothouse... it fit the bill. The asking price was also certainly attractive. Unfortunately, the rig was bent above the spreaders, and the sails looked like they'd be on the boat since '85. I replaced the mast on my boat 6 years ago after one of my lower shrouds pulled out at the swage (corrosion). It was not cheap. So that pretty much killed the deal for me. The seller sent me an email today letting me know that an offer was accepted pending subjects, so I hope the new owners are factoring in the cost of dealing with an old bent spar and some tired sails...

Funny enough, I also looked at a Cooper 353 this weekend and am considering an Alberg 30 that my coworker is selling for a song. I'm not convinced that the Alberg is roomy enough, but I do like the reputation they have for being fully-capable blue-water boats. The Cooper is a bit out of my price range.

I like sailing my Luna a lot, but we're just starting to think about going cruising next summer for 1-3 months (North), and she is not going to cut it. I'm just starting to look around, but for cruising this coast (in the rain!), the attraction of a pilothouse is significant. If we head out cruising, it's quite likely we'd have another couple onboard for at least some parts of the trip. So to high-jack Jgbrown's post entirely (I can do that to him, in exchange for a slip right?), here's what I'm looking for:

30-38 ft
sleeps 4
Strong sail inventory
Probably a pilothouse
Probably a full keel
Would favour a metal boat
Would favour a boat that has more of a commercial boat level of exterior finish rather than a pristine yacht shine (a major plus for the 34' pilothouse above)
$10-25k

I'll consider anything that comes up, and will actually favour the ones that have a lower price and 'some work required' as long as fiberglass work and sanding aren't involved. I repainted the topsides on my Luna last year, and while it looks splendid, I'm not interested in ever doing that kind of work again But replacing a rig or an engine isn't a deal-breaker for me if the price reflects that. I promise to keep as composed as Jgbrown was. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Trombones View Post
I like sailing my Luna a lot, but we're just starting to think about going cruising next summer for 1-3 months (North), and she is not going to cut it. I'm just starting to look around, but for cruising this coast (in the rain!), the attraction of a pilothouse is significant. If we head out cruising, it's quite likely we'd have another couple onboard for at least some parts of the trip. So to high-jack Jgbrown's post entirely (I can do that to him, in exchange for a slip right?), here's what I'm looking for:

30-38 ft
sleeps 4
Strong sail inventory
Probably a pilothouse
Probably a full keel
Would favour a metal boat
Would favour a boat that has more of a commercial boat level of exterior finish rather than a pristine yacht shine (a major plus for the 34' pilothouse above)
$10-25k

I'll consider anything that comes up, and will actually favour the ones that have a lower price and 'some work required' as long as fiberglass work and sanding aren't involved. I repainted the topsides on my Luna last year, and while it looks splendid, I'm not interested in ever doing that kind of work again But replacing a rig or an engine isn't a deal-breaker for me if the price reflects that. I promise to keep as composed as Jgbrown was. Thanks!
If the Cooper 353 is too steep, how about the 316? There are one or two for sale currently I think.

Actually though, your list of preferences indicate that a Horizon steel boat or maybe one of Brent Swain's might suit. The Horizons have the "commercial boat" feel about them. I have no personal experience with Brent's boats so can't comment but he's a member here so he might weigh in.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.