SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

32K views 154 replies 19 participants last post by  sandysm78 
#1 · (Edited)
I got talked out of the boat I was looking at previously by the good folks here, while it did have the impossible to find live-aboard slip here in Vancouver it was unlikely that it would work out for me in the long run(too big).
Right after I suggested I didn't completely have my head in the clouds on the fact that a boat would be a lot of work. :eek:

Coming at it from a different angle, what got me interested in boats in the first place was the stories of small boats being single-handed. I'm looking for a boat I can live-aboard, and eventually take offshore once I have enough experience. My dad will be teaching me to sail it as I have no experience in anything bigger than an FJ.

I've created a fairly exhaustive list of all the boats currently for sale that fit my budget and possibly my needs within reasonable distance.(yachtworld, craigslist, kijiji etc).
Budget is about 50, 000$ all in. A bit more for something perfectly suited and already set up, or a lot less for something in need of a lot of work.
I am 6' tall barefoot, 150lbs so narrow spaces to work on stuff aren't too much of an issue, but headroom to stand would be nice.

Musts:
Good Storage capacity(especially for water and fuel)
Durable/secure portholes
Well built, properly attached bulkheads to hull etc.
Sea-kindly design
Singlehanding friendly(lines led to cockpit etc)

Easy to get in and out of from a tender/dinghy
Shoal draft(less than 5'6") Or modern cutaway full keel/fin keel that can take minor grounding bumps if deeper.
Narrow/rectangular or T shaped cockpit, I don't entertain people a lot, and comfort in rough weather for me is more important than room for visitors.
Headroom 6'2" or greater if there is at least standing headroom in the galley I can get by for the right boat.
Solar/wind generation already on board.
Independent house batteries.
Watermaker
Good ground tackle
Tender included

Size: 27'-36', 30-33 ideal.

Whatever I get I strongly suspect I'll be trying to get one of Brent Swain's stainless steel woodstoves. I lived with wood heat in BC interior, I like it and don't mind the effort to feed and maintain a wood-stove.

Boats currently for sale within range:
Best:
CS36T(My dad has concerns about the size, but other than the length it seems a perfect fit for all my specs)
True North 34
Aloha 32
Westerly Renown 33'
CS 33
Niagra 31
Spencer 35 MkII
USA Albin Ballard(total refit in the past 4 years rigging, new engine etc)
USA Swift Sloop 33'(handholds everywhere, nice layout)

Acceptable:
Alberg 30
Bristol 33
Murray 33' cutter steel.
Ontario 32'

Boats I like that I can't find or can't afford:
Crealock 31.beautiful one in Seattle, probably my favorite out of all the boats I've seen, but it's almost double my 50, 000$ budget.
Almost any Robert Perry design.
Niagra 35
C&C 34+

Any thoughts, leads on other boats I might not have considered, especially local(West coast of BC) ones would be much appreciated. I really like the way a Ketch rig looks, and the Renown is very attractively priced, but I'm trying to start with what I need/want first and narrow down to what fits rather than starting with a boat I like the look of and trying to adapt my needs to it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Rather than limiting your choice on length, it makes more sense to me to be sure there is nothing on board that you are unable to lift by yourself. Your thoughts on cockpit design make sense, but again sit down in one first, and lean back. Is the sitting comfortable. For hours on end? How about laying down in the cockpit seat? How about laying on the cockpit seat, and trying to read? Many will disagree, but I think that boats are like shoes - if they pinch, don't buy it.

#3 ·
Check out Islander Freeport 36's. Perry design in you price range. Roomy (I'm 6'4"), lots of storage, comfortable live-aboard and strong support community (FOGgers : Owners and others interested in the care and feeding of Islander Freeport 36-foot and 38-foot sailboats). We are buying one for live aboard near Vancouver and eventual offshore.

More radical alternate join a sailing coop, like Barnet, and build your sailing/cruising experience on the West Coast very cheaply while you look for the perfect boat.

#4 ·
Boats currently for sale within range:
Best:
CS36T(My dad has concerns about the size, but other than the length it seems a perfect fit for all my specs)
True North 34
Aloha 32
Westerly Renown 33'
CS 33
Niagra 31
Spencer 35 MkII
USA Albin Ballard(total refit in the past 4 years rigging, new engine etc)
USA Swift Sloop 33'(handholds everywhere, nice layout)

Acceptable:
Alberg 30
Bristol 33
Murray 33' cutter steel.
Ontario 32'

Boats I like that I can't find or can't afford:
Crealock 31.beautiful one in Seattle, probably my favorite out of all the boats I've seen, but it's almost double my 50, 000$ budget.
Almost any Robert Perry design.
Niagra 35
C&C 34+
Congrats on having the wisdom to actually LISTEN to the voices of experience. :)

You'd be doing well to get a CS36T for less than $50K - if you've found one, be suspicious of condition. It's not too big to handle - not really any more work than others you've listed.

I'd forget the Alberg 30 - too skinny & cramped for liveaboard - that door setup to close off the head is a pain.

You might add the Spencer 31 - good boats and they have that old "California" layout with a U-dinette opposite a starboard fore & aft galley - pretty spacious for a 31' to live on and WAY under your $ limit.

Peterson 35 from Martin Yachts - three different decks and two different interiors. Big, spacious and fast. The last version with the aft dinette layout is very spacious for liveaboard. They are well within your $ range.

#6 ·
That boat has been for sale for YEARS. I've seen it dip slightly below $40K but they must be very firm on price for it to have languished so long. It had a very extensive refit a number of years ago - that's probably why the price is stuck. It's been so long now that it'll need a new one soon. :)

There's a sister to it in Bellingham that I see every time we eat at one restaurant - beautiful lines with a sheer that even Rhodes would have envied. They look better in the flesh than in pics as well. Calling it a "modern design" is a bit of a stretch though, even if it does have a fin keel. If it was still 1980, maybe. :) That said, I can see myself looking good on one. :D

VERY high row away factor.

#7 ·
Cripes, $50K. I can work with that. Okay, let's see if I got this straight- young guy, not much experience, needs headroom, ready to rock, up to 33 feet, liveaboard, PNW.
I'm thinking pilothouse. If you're gonna live aboard, live comfy.

Gulf 29 or 32.
1986 Gulf 29 Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com Yeah, sale pending, but it gives you an idea.
1977 Gulf Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Saturna 33

1991 Saturna Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Should be a couple for sale on the west coast, as they are a Garden design.

Rawson 32 PH

If you'd rather have space and comfort over sailing ability, there is always a willard vega horizon:
C U Later, A 1974 30 ft Willard Vega-Horizon for sale.

#9 ·
Cripes, $50K. I can work with that. Okay, let's see if I got this straight- young guy, not much experience, needs headroom, ready to rock, up to 33 feet, liveaboard, PNW.
I'm thinking pilothouse. If you're gonna live aboard, live comfy.
Good point BL - I can think of two local PH boats - the Cooper 316 and 353. The 353 might take a bit of a search or serious haggling for $50K but could probably be done. The 316 dips into the $20's sometimes. Both would be prime liveaboards and usually seem to be equipped for it.

Some of the nicer year round boats for this area.

There are also some North Sea 34's that were built by Beaver Glass - it was a British boat they brought tooling over for. They tend to be scarce and with high asking prices though.

#10 · (Edited)
Not too keen on the pilothouses to be honest... My understanding is that they are not great in high winds, and there is the risk of serious water entry if you lose a window.
Plus I don't think trying to look over the top sounds like too much fun.
Boats like the Aloha 32 or CS 33/36T already have enough headroom for me anyways.

#14 ·
Check out the 316 and 353 online. They do not expose a great deal to wind. I have sailed a 353 it would make a very good liveaboard.

#11 ·
If you are thinking of living aboard year round in Vancouver a pilothouse should be high on your list.

As for single handing, I am 64 and single hand my 44 footer without too much hassle. Slab reefing main.

Go and have a look at this clicky a pilothouse with some good kit.

If you are a fit 6 footer you will quickly learn to manage her. Warmer than anything else you are looking at and a MUCH BETTER liveaboard.

My concern would be the deck. It would need to be gone over by someone who knows what they are doing. If it looks like the whole deck is rotten and needs replacing walk away, a couple of sq feet would be an easy fix.

#16 · (Edited)
It's ferro. :eek: Better have it checked out by someone who knows ferro well. Locally, both John Samson and Chris Deiner are gone now and the were the fount of all knowledge re: ferro construction. Also, $39K is a lot for ANY ferro boat on this continent.

The CST is a much better choice IMHO, even though it's 1/2 the size.

#12 ·
Other than the CS36T which looks ideal(shoal draft, good tankage, good power generation, only worry is no hour meter on the engine)
CS 36 Traditional

Wistful thinking...
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rrency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1728&url=
31'
Wish I could afford it, but if anyone sees one for less... I love the layout.
Pacific Seacraft 31
Year: 1990
Current Price: US$ 89,500
Located In Seattle, WA
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Engine/Fuel Type: Single diesel
YW# 1728-2373919

These are some of the ones I'm most interested in locally and in my budget. I've got secondary lists for boats that are outside my budget, or looking like more serious projects.

TrueNorth 34 cutter, Vancouver moorage available - British Columbia Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.
1978 Truenorth 34 "Palindrome"
Offshore capable, fully equipped, full keeled cutter
Extremely strong Airex cored hull above water line, Solid Glass below
The following is a only a partial list of equipment;
Universal 35hp diesel (Kubota) 4 cylinder, glow plugs, 300 hours since new
Campbell sailor 3 blade with new shaft and drip less cutless bearing
125 Gallons fuel racor seperator and polishing system , 120 Water with filtration
Variable speed Water pump and Paloma hot water heater
4 golf carts over 500 Amp hours total, Xantrax Truechage 20, Xantrax bat monitor
2 UNI-SOLAR Solar panels and controller 8 amps@ 12V peak
Dickinson propane 2 Burner gimbaled oven, BBQ and Dickinson Diesel fireplace
JRC 1500 Radar on free standing pole, Standard Horizon DSC Radio with RAM mic
GPS Chart Plotter with digital maps for West Coast and all paper charts as back-up
Built in depth sounder and water speed indicator
EZ Kold Holding plate Freezer/Fridge, Danfoss BD 50 compressor Digital control
27 Samsung LCD TV with 500 watt Sony surround sound DVD player
Kenwood Audio, MP3 ,cd , system with remote
TP3000 tiller pilot linked to GPS

Vela Yacht Sales (Victoria, BC)
Has tender and new rigging in 2006. I love the look of a Ketch.
Boat Name: Te Tiaroa
Year: 1976
Current Price: Can$ 22,500
Located in Victoria, BC
YW# 15664-2457485

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=68091&url=
32'
fireplace nice upgrade has tender.
Aloha 32' Sloop
Year: 1982
Current Price: Can$ 34,900
(US$ 35,252)
Located In Ladysmith, BC
YW# 68091-2396687

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=74939&url=
Very unique, I'd love to know how they sail, the layout and especially the handholds everywhere look very interesting.
33'
Swift Sloop
Year: 1983
Current Price: US$ 49,500
Located In Port Ludlow, WA
YW# 74939-2401955

Spencer 35 Mark II Sloop/Cutter Sailboat - British Columbia Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji British Columbia Canada.

is a very safe and comfortable coastal and offshore 35ft. cruising sailboat. Can be easily configured as either a sloop or cutter. Blue Book registerred in Canada for offshore sailing. Made famous by Hal Roth and wife who sailed ths same model of boat to many areas of the world. Recent marine survey (in and out of water) completed and available. Excellent condition with many upgrades and lots of storage. Comforably sleeps 4, can sleep up to 6. Recent upgrades include Yanmar 3GM30F fesh water cooled engine, Northstar Main Sail, Dodger & Sail Cover.Upgraded Electronics include Raymarine ST60 Wind, Tri-Data & Multifunction Instruments, Garmin GPSMap, Icom DSC Radio & Multistage Statpower Batery Charger. Most of Electrical cabling replaced/upgraded including new VHF cabling and Antenae. Includes recently installed Holding Tank, Macerator Pump and PYI

1986 Canadian Sailcraft CS33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
full windvane and 10k cheaper than other CS33s, makes upgrading refrigeration, heating and power feasible. Deep keel is unfortunate
Year: 1986
Current Price: Can$ 37,900
(US$ 37,980)
Located In Nanaimo, BC
YW# 76246-2373000

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=23304&url=
Ready
CS 33 Sloop
Current Price: Can$ 47,000
(US$ 47,099)
Located In North Vancouver, BC
YW# 23304-2360189

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=11024&url=
33'
CS 33
Year: 1981
Current Price: Can$ 39,900
(US$ 39,984)
Located In Nanaimo, BC

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=23304&url=
Ready
CS 33 Sloop
Current Price: Can$ 47,000
(US$ 47,099)
Located In North Vancouver, BC
YW# 23304-2360189

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=68091&url=
Niagra 31
Good tankage, low hour new engine, recently gone over fully.
Year: 1981
Current Price: Can$ 41,000
(US$ 41,086)
Located In Sidney, BC
YW# 68091-2378254

31' Niagara 1981 - "Hadar" Victoria City, Victoria
Builder/Designer
Hinterhoeller, St. Catherine, Ont./German Frers
Niagra 31
Hull Material
FRP
Engine/Fuel Inboard (New in 2005)/Diesel 710 hrs
Dimensions
LOA:
31'
Beam: 10' 3"
Draft: 5'
Engine
Make: Volvo
Model: MD2030 Sail drive
Tankage
Fuel: 22 US Gal
Water: 25 US Gal Holding: 15 US Gal

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=51729&url=
Bombay clipper 31
Year: 1978
Current Price: Can$ 33,900 Tax Paid
(US$ 33,971)
Located In Captains' Cove Marina Delta, BC
YW# 51729-2318630

1969 BRISTOL 33 Sail Boat cruiser

Bristol 33
4-30 "UNIVERSAL" DIESEL 25HP, 30 gallon stainless tank with 3 fuel filters
WATER TANKS 1 twenty gallons and 1 twenty five gallons = 45 gallons total

Sailboats: 34' Klaus Grueber Roberts 34 Sloop - Listing #: 3787

Home built roberts 34, newish, very good specs for price
Year:
Price:
$39,900 CAD

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rrency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=4144&url=
Completely refit and painted Albin Ballad 30

#13 ·
Putting a True North 34 and a CS 33 on the same wish list just doesn't make sense.. you need to first figure out what kind of boat you want. Have you read the 'full keel vs fin keel' threads? Some homework there so that you can start comparing oranges with oranges.

I'm surprised to see so many CS33s listed locally.. they are usually rare as hens' teeth. While I'd be a bit leery of the low priced one, it's worth a cautious look for sure. If the other one has $10K worth on goodies/features it may be the better long term choice. I like these boats, esp for single or one couple accommodation. They are not well set up for guests. Great reputation for soild build, decent performers. Around here the deep draft is not a problem, but an asset. I'm sure a good, well prepared one will do just fine offshore.

The Aloha 32 is a 'shippy' looking cruiser from a good designer, Mark Ellis, it's essentially a mini Niagara 35, along with the unconventional layout of her big sister. Again a decent single couple's boat, robust long fin and spade rudder at least she'll be able to get out of her own way!

The Niagara 31 is a sleeper performer.. A German Frers design hidden under the cruisey look of the Aloha/Niagara style. Another layout not ideal for many guests, but sounds like that's not going to be a problem for you as a single liveaboard/couple.

Personally I'd be looking at these above rather than the heavy full keeled boats, even for ocean passages, but that's a personal subjective choice. One you need to make before you start to shop....

#15 · (Edited)
:cool:Yes, I also followed through with the Mahina summaries, wikipedia, and a good dig through the back and forth arguments on boatdesign forum.
Ideal is either a deeper modified(cutaway) full keep vs a shallower heavily built fin( like the CS 36 with shoal draft) I also noted as a negative in my notes the deep draft fin on the CS33.
The deep draft is an asset until I screw up:laugher
So it is not a deal breaker for me, but rather something to be cautious about, and definitely a factor to consider.
Likewise with the full keel on the True North 34, it is at the far end of my desired attributes(ideal is in the middle between the two).
I'm trying to keep an open mind though, a deep fin means a bit more speed, but more risk. Within reason either is acceptable, just not ideal, my ideal is the balance between the two, which I(correctly nor not) believe to exist within my budget on either a heavily built long shoal draft fin or a modern cutaway full keel.

My ideal would one of the twin keel designs that could equally happily sit on the beach as sail. Or even something like the Hogfish Maximus if it wouldn't handle so terribly offshore. Budget and reality constraints apply however.
I even like the idea of ferrocement(the flexible and ultra durable high end versions, not the home built crap.)
Not so much this kind though. :cool:

TQA: Little too big for me, though I have always had a soft spot for ferro-cement, my dad would never agree to it. I asked about a cement boat when I was little and we were sailing out from the RVYC. He had rather strong opinions on them.

#17 ·
Half the size is a perk, not a negative :) The 36T is just about right in my eyes, for volume, capacity but my dad is concerned about the increased weight and extra length for manovering at low speed. While I understand his concern, I feel that the extra 4000lbs and length is a benefit in a liveaboard especially under heavy weather conditions. I will be unlikely to be spending much if any time in close quarters in a Marina. Fuel and water tanking up is simplified by having well over triple the capacity.

#18 ·
Handling is NOT going to be an issue with a CS 36T, or a 33. Many of those others on your list would be.

The Coopers are better sailboats than most pilothouses.. not really into the 'motorsailer' genre with those. They are roomy for their length.

The Northsea 34 is another good one, there are a few around as they were mainly built here.

Reactions: Jgbrown
#19 · (Edited)
If only it didn't have nearly 7' of draft... :( Were these ever made in a shoal draft version?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rrency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1012&url=

Yamaha 36, nicely rebuilt new rigging in '06. I really like the layout, seems to be an interesting compromise between pilothouse and a normal deck.
Love the layout.

EDIT; I looked at both of those pilothouse yachts. The Northseas look to be a fair bit out of my budget, and both have saildrives, which I've got some pretty serious reservations about because of what I've read about them online. Coopers actually looked pretty interesting, is there a large issue with pilothouses and wind, how does one deal with a pilothouse offshore?
Were any versions made with shaft drives?
I suppose a saildrive could be fairly easily converted to electric via a Torqueedo, though they'd be a little short on power according to their specs on a boat that size.

#20 ·
I don't quite understand your reservations on what you refer to as deep draft. A draft of 6 1/2' can go anywhere, with the possible exception of some of the Bahamas. Generally a boat with deeper draft is better to windward.

Boats of all drafts can hit bottom. Owners of shallow draft boats may be worse off as they can be a bit more adventurous.:)

CS33 and CS36T are both great boats, and roomier than others you are looking at. For example the CS36T is over 2' wider than the Spencer 35 which can be a bit tight below. The Yamaha looks pretty good as well - I would not worry about the draft.

I would forget the Westerly. A center cockpit 32' without a passageway to the aft cabin is like a 26' boat inside.

36' is not hard to handle - the bow is just a bit farther away.

#21 ·
I don't quite understand your reservations on what you refer to as deep draft. A draft of 6 1/2' can go anywhere, with the possible exception of some of the Bahamas. Generally a boat with deeper draft is better to windward.

Boats of all drafts can hit bottom. Owners of shallow draft boats may be worse off as they can be a bit more adventurous.:)

CS33 and CS36T are both great boats, and roomier than others you are looking at. For example the CS36T is over 2' wider than the Spencer 35 which can be a bit tight below. The Yamaha looks pretty good as well - I would not worry about the draft.

I would forget the Westerly. A center cockpit 32' without a passageway to the aft cabin is like a 26' boat inside.

36' is not hard to handle - the bow is just a bit farther away.
Hmm I thought from the pictures it had a passageway opposite the galley? Just that it also had a top hatch aft of the cockpit?
I guess my reservations come from 1) the CS owners forum where the reviews specifically mentioned it damaging the grid reinforcing inside the hull. 2) a couple of ads I saw with grounding damage being mentioned.
That led me to being cautious, as well as all the dire warnings about what happens to deep fin keeled boats who's owners go exploring.
What about the Alohas? They certainly got some nice reviews.
What about the Swift 33?

The Niagra 31 is tempting too, I know that it is not a shorter Niagra 35 exactly(the first sailboat I ever really wanted as a kid was a Niagra 35 called Star Kindred I used to see every day at the RVYC). Seems nicely laid out, and Faster likes it(good recommendation in my books :))

#22 ·
Niagaras are good boats, as are Alohas. The Swift looks interesting but I do not know anything about them.

Any boat can be damaged by a good hit. The trick is not to.

The Westerly doesn't show a passageway - rare on a 32' boat. There are cockpit lockers on each side which would make it impossible on a boat that size unless it had a lot more freeboard. Visually it will seem small inside. Here's a link to the Westerly that shows the layout a lot better. Great boat for a couple who want the kids to be in their own cabin. You would probably only use it for storage. Westerly Renown ketch archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales
Also the Westerly is only 2" wider than my CS27.

#23 ·
Damn. There goes that idea. I really did love the Ketch rig though. My dad is pretty focused on the shorter CS. He is very concerned that the 36T will be much harder to handle in every way, due to the extra length and weight.
I think the 36T, especially the specific one I'm interested in is much more suited to my purpose such as the extra length and weight would probably be an asset in rough weather at anchor, triple the tank capacity means fewer trips for fuel/water etc.
However he has experience with sailing larger boats and I do not.

Were most CS33s set up for singlehanding with lines run aft as well?

#24 ·
Were most CS33s set up for singlehanding with lines run aft as well?
You do not need the lines run aft to singlehand. I actually prefer the halyard and reefing lines on the mast. Using an autopilot or by heaving to, reefing is much easier. The friction on a single-line reefing system is much higher.

#26 ·
There will be minimal difference in the feel of the CS36 vs the 33.. both are beefy boats and while you may notice the extra weight it's easily adapted to. As a liveaboard if the price fits it's a no-brainer going for the 36 (as long as you've sorted out the moorage situation)

As Jack says, too, halyards and lines led aft (or not) should not be deal breakers.. it's not difficult to do if you really need it, but I agree that singlehanded, as long as you have some sort of self steering, having halyards and reef lines at the mast works well.

#27 ·
Whoops. Reading about too many boats. I realize that 1) you told me about it already(the lines aft thing) 2) The owner of the boat and I talked about it too.

Moorage is going to be on the hook I think, assuming I can bug Gio into sharing his tips and tricks(Owner of the Pegasus that is in False Creek right now). The 36T already has heavier duty ground tackle than he's using, I've been doing a lot of research into anchoring techniques, especially those used under storm conditions. I figure if I spend 90% of my time sitting at anchor, and 10% sailing, and considering how many boats get damaged or washed up at anchor I figure I should devote my resources to learn how to anchor so I don't lose whatever I end up with. I've got printed copies of Maine Sailors observations on mooring, an interesting PDF on anchoring in the Sea of Cortez during a hurricane and I'm digging around to see what else turns up.

#30 ·
So far so good. Seen some great boats. Seen some questionable boats. Seen some :confused::laugher boats.

Started off with a Saturna 33 offshore, nice boat, but the inside was a bit odd. Definitely lived in, but a pretty zany setup, like the lamp with 15' of wire wrapped around the post, rubber tarantulas on the ceiling, and the holes drilled in the trim all over for pencils. I had flashes of the Joker in Batman since they were all stored end up. :eek:

It became quickly apparent which boats would work for me, and which wouldn't.

next was a Nonsuch 26, tons of room for the size, but just didn't do it for me.
Up to Nanimo to look at a CS33 and I felt bad for the salesman, junk all over, he opened the cockpit up took a look, turned to us with a sad look. Decent boat overall, and I liked the layout, but it felt a little small inside for the price.
Right next door was one in great condition, way cheaper with self steering vane and obviously well cared for, a different dealer had it though. he didn't stay too long and went off to talk with the wharfinger.

Some pretty fail-laden boats, where the guy was ashing in the sink, and left his roaches sitting all over the edge, obvious liveaboards, with tires and junk all over asking 10k more than the spotless ones.
Some pretty fail-laden brokers too. Not a clue about their boats, or sales for that matter.

One notable exception was Larry Thompson with Bayview yachts in Ladysmith. Every boat he had was in beautiful shape, modern electronics, tons of upgrades, and great prices. His info packets were huge(not a single page), and he knew them inside and out. He took 2 hours to show us 3 boats, one was a beautiful Aloha 32 for a very reasonable price. He outlined anything he thought should be upgraded or replaced, with approximate costs to do so, even down to the level of a specific propane fitting on one boat that he felt was better replaced with a modern fitting.

I would absolutely recommend him to anyone looking for a boat in the area. My dad even agreed, and he's not usually a fan of salespeople at all. If nothing on my current short list pans out, I'm just going to tell him what I'm looking for, I know he'll come through if anyone will.

Right now my shortlist is down to 5 boats, all really solid candidates with good reasons for each. Not bad considering how broad my list was at the start.

CS36T: Solid in every way, functional well built and tons of space, good tankage,power etc. Good supply of spares.

custom steel 36' (pretty in an ugly industrial way, well built and sailed over from Europe.) Felt smaller on deck than the 36T.
Comes with moorage in a nice liveaboard slip.

mid 30s Custom wood restoration of a William Garden design. Beautiful, functional and in need of a little love, incredibly well built, but in need of some repairs.

CS33: Little brother of the 36, less tankage, but well put together, won't save anything in a marina though.
Aloha 32. Some savings over the 33 and 36 in both moorage and purchase price, nice layout, except for the complete lack of V berth.

Alberg 30. This was one of the biggest surprises, a lot roomier than I thought, it actually felt more livable than the Aloha 32, though not as prettily built inside. Very lived in, very easy to live in. Great upgrades inside and out and some really brilliant ideas from the owner. Full keel, skeg rudder. Tons of storage space, the biggest deck lockers I've ever seen, tiller steerage and easy to handle. I felt right at home in it. Owners lived at anchor right through the winter, said it was much more sea-kindly than the Benteneaux 36 he used to sail. More tank capacity than all except the 35 and 36' boats.

Now the biggest problem seems to be finding moorage, the compromise my dad and I have tentatively reached is that if I want his backing on anything more expensive than the Alberg that I need to find real moorage, either a buoy or a slip.

The 36T seems to be the best all around boat, which is what I'd expected, it was always at the top of my list. The others have some real benefits, and some real drawbacks.

#36 ·
So far so good. Seen some great boats. Seen some questionable boats. Seen some :confused::laugher boats.

Started off with a Saturna 33 offshore, nice boat, but the inside was a bit odd. Definitely lived in, but a pretty zany setup, like the lamp with 15' of wire wrapped around the post, rubber tarantulas on the ceiling, and the holes drilled in the trim all over for pencils. I had flashes of the Joker in Batman since they were all stored end up. :eek:

It became quickly apparent which boats would work for me, and which wouldn't.

next was a Nonsuch 26, tons of room for the size, but just didn't do it for me.
Up to Nanimo to look at a CS33 and I felt bad for the salesman, junk all over, he opened the cockpit up took a look, turned to us with a sad look. Decent boat overall, and I liked the layout, but it felt a little small inside for the price.
Right next door was one in great condition, way cheaper with self steering vane and obviously well cared for, a different dealer had it though. he didn't stay too long and went off to talk with the wharfinger.

Some pretty fail-laden boats, where the guy was ashing in the sink, and left his roaches sitting all over the edge, obvious liveaboards, with tires and junk all over asking 10k more than the spotless ones.
Some pretty fail-laden brokers too. Not a clue about their boats, or sales for that matter.

One notable exception was Larry Thompson with Bayview yachts in Ladysmith. Every boat he had was in beautiful shape, modern electronics, tons of upgrades, and great prices. His info packets were huge(not a single page), and he knew them inside and out. He took 2 hours to show us 3 boats, one was a beautiful Aloha 32 for a very reasonable price. He outlined anything he thought should be upgraded or replaced, with approximate costs to do so, even down to the level of a specific propane fitting on one boat that he felt was better replaced with a modern fitting.

I would absolutely recommend him to anyone looking for a boat in the area. My dad even agreed, and he's not usually a fan of salespeople at all. If nothing on my current short list pans out, I'm just going to tell him what I'm looking for, I know he'll come through if anyone will.

Right now my shortlist is down to 5 boats, all really solid candidates with good reasons for each. Not bad considering how broad my list was at the start.

CS36T: Solid in every way, functional well built and tons of space, good tankage,power etc. Good supply of spares.

custom steel 36' (pretty in an ugly industrial way, well built and sailed over from Europe.) Felt smaller on deck than the 36T.
Comes with moorage in a nice liveaboard slip.

mid 30s Custom wood restoration of a William Garden design. Beautiful, functional and in need of a little love, incredibly well built, but in need of some repairs.

CS33: Little brother of the 36, less tankage, but well put together, won't save anything in a marina though.
Aloha 32. Some savings over the 33 and 36 in both moorage and purchase price, nice layout, except for the complete lack of V berth.

Alberg 30. This was one of the biggest surprises, a lot roomier than I thought, it actually felt more livable than the Aloha 32, though not as prettily built inside. Very lived in, very easy to live in. Great upgrades inside and out and some really brilliant ideas from the owner. Full keel, skeg rudder. Tons of storage space, the biggest deck lockers I've ever seen, tiller steerage and easy to handle. I felt right at home in it. Owners lived at anchor right through the winter, said it was much more sea-kindly than the Benteneaux 36 he used to sail. More tank capacity than all except the 35 and 36' boats.

Now the biggest problem seems to be finding moorage, the compromise my dad and I have tentatively reached is that if I want his backing on anything more expensive than the Alberg that I need to find real moorage, either a buoy or a slip.

The 36T seems to be the best all around boat, which is what I'd expected, it was always at the top of my list. The others have some real benefits, and some real drawbacks.
I like this kid. No whining, intelligent input, and he's not falling in love with the first boat he sees.

I can understand what you see in the Alberg- it IS a good layout that makes good use of the narrow hull.

#31 ·
jgb.. you know, we get a lot of 'I want to buy this boat, and do this, and try this, then sail around the world and what do you all think?' new posters here on SN and it seems more often than not all they want is 'atta boys' and validation of often hare-brained schemes. Often they take umbrage at suggestions that they're not really 'there' yet.

You are to be commended for heeding much of the advice you've received here, taking the comments and even nay sayers with good grace, and now you have a modified objective that seems achievable.

Kudos, too, to the members here for taking the time and contributing thoughts and ideas on this thread and all the others too.. as Smacky often says, this place rocks!

Reactions: Jgbrown
#32 ·
This place absolutely does rock, without it, and the good advice here I would have been looking at some pretty impractical boats for what I'm actually doing now, and for what I want to do eventually.
That's part of why I set my budget so high(for me) at 50k, it seemed to me that trying to get a 10k boat that you could both live-aboard and sail long distances was pretty impossible.
a 50k boat will take me about 7 years to pay off. The differences between a 20k boat and a 35k boat seemed to be fairly minor, but after 40k a big jump appeared.

I'm not anywhere, I know I haven't got a clue :)

The Alberg is an oddball, it seems almost completely ready for going offshore, tough, roomy and easy to handle, and a screaming deal of utility for price(16k), I could pay it off by Christmas, and it has a new yanmar(150 hrs), mainsail, fully insulated, LED lighting, marine Fusion stereo, new head, tons of tankage and storage only the 35/36' boats beat. The sacrifice is the head has no separate compartment and no shower.
The owners live on the hook, and are willing to help with the transition.

Tough choices to make... Too many good boats.

Thanks again to everyone who's contributed, whether directly in the thread, or in the great posts and guides I read.

#33 ·
The Alberg is an oddball, it seems almost completely ready for going offshore, tough, roomy and easy to handle, and a screaming deal of utility for price(16k), I could pay it off by Christmas, and it has a new yanmar(150 hrs), mainsail, fully insulated, LED lighting, marine Fusion stereo, new head, tons of tankage and storage only the 35/36' boats beat. The sacrifice is the head has no separate compartment and no shower.
The owners live on the hook, and are willing to help with the transition
That's the first time I ever heard an Alberg 30 referred to as "roomy". :) That does sound like a great deal though - that new diesel probably cost more than that by the time it was running in the boat. If you find it comfortable, go for it. There's nothing better than a boat that's paid for.

Reactions: mitiempo
#38 ·
Alberg 30's are more palatial than you think - the beam is 8'9":D

My Cs 27 had a goofy door arrangement as well - a solid door with a second door attached with a vertical hinge to close off the cabin and head. The first thing I said to the seller was "anybody complain about this door?"

I removed it asap.

I agree Jeremy is taking good advice - and getting it as well. He has also found some pretty good boats and at reasonable prices I think.

The steel boat that was sailed from France looks interesting, well equipped and from the pics the condition looks good. The French know metal boats well. As long as it surveys ok.

#41 ·
Thanks, I don't really know what else to say, but now I guess you've given me a goal to live up to, and not turn into another idiot in a boat he can't afford to own or repair.

Update: The CS36T is gone. I went to see her, she was a lovely boat, and I was actually surprised the owner was selling her, that well found, with such extensive spares and equipment, I didn't think he'd save much going smaller. I am glad for him that he has decided to keep her, it was obvious he didn't want to let her go.
Would have been a perfect liveaboard I think.

The steel boat is nice, the hull is in amazing shape, well cared for and the original galvanizing seems to have really helped. The interior is brilliantly set up to ventilate the whole bilge, even in the deepest part there is only a light hint of brown on the paint, no visible rust and no flaking anywhere. But the outfitting is much rougher, not a lot of spares, raw water cooled original engine, no shower, no holding tank, euro plug AC, crazed plexi windows, 20+year old sails, old rigging etc. And it's a custom steel boat.
So it seems like a great boat, in need of a bit of work, which puts it at the high end of the price range for what it is to my mind. Asking 53k now.

Destrier Raid 36 pi./10.97 m 1987 « anesthesie » - Voilier - Annonces | Les Puces Nautiques

Finally got a better look at the CS33, it is nicely equipped, asking. There are two almost side by side in Nanaimo, and the one asking more is significantly rougher, without the upgrades.
She is powered by a 20hp Bukh diesel that was completely rebuilt in 2000, and has an inventory of 6 sails. She is equipped with a Simrad Autohelm, Hydrovane self steering gear $9000 value 2 anchors with chain and rode and much more.
1986 Canadian Sailcraft CS33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Lastly there is the Alberg still, still well equipped, still well priced. Still asking 16k.

The steel boat is great, at 30k I'd be all over it, that would leave enough left over to clean and repaint, new sails, add a holding tank, redo the electronics, and replace the old laptop+pirated software with an ipad or something.
The alberg is still liveable, and nicely put together, albeit small.
The CS33, is basically a totally comfortable liveaboard, but no fridge or solar, and it's pretty close to the upper end of my budget still when accounting for that.

I'm still quite interested in the Alberg, the suggestion of the best boat being the one that's paid off has some merit, but the 33 I could pay off in two years, and it seems like a capable boat.
Any thoughts on where to proceed from here, or boats I may have missed?

#43 ·
Any thoughts on where to proceed from here, or boats I may have missed?
This is on Craigs right now - on the Fraser I think. Note the price - worth checking out I think. Tom Timmerman is (was?) a local designer - had a nice eye.

Boat is in good condition well built needs cleaning current owner planned to sail her to Mexico but his business now prevents this ,he wants it sold to support purchase of needed business equipment, all offers will be considered custom built Timmerman design

MAJOR PRICE DROP to $11900 obo
roller furling
diesel power
instant hot water
radar
diesel heat
great coastal cruiser

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.