Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC. - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Red face Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

I got talked out of the boat I was looking at previously by the good folks here, while it did have the impossible to find live-aboard slip here in Vancouver it was unlikely that it would work out for me in the long run(too big).
Right after I suggested I didn't completely have my head in the clouds on the fact that a boat would be a lot of work.

Coming at it from a different angle, what got me interested in boats in the first place was the stories of small boats being single-handed. I'm looking for a boat I can live-aboard, and eventually take offshore once I have enough experience. My dad will be teaching me to sail it as I have no experience in anything bigger than an FJ.

I've created a fairly exhaustive list of all the boats currently for sale that fit my budget and possibly my needs within reasonable distance.(yachtworld, craigslist, kijiji etc).
Budget is about 50, 000$ all in. A bit more for something perfectly suited and already set up, or a lot less for something in need of a lot of work.
I am 6' tall barefoot, 150lbs so narrow spaces to work on stuff aren't too much of an issue, but headroom to stand would be nice.

Musts:
Good Storage capacity(especially for water and fuel)
Durable/secure portholes
Well built, properly attached bulkheads to hull etc.
Sea-kindly design
Singlehanding friendly(lines led to cockpit etc)

Easy to get in and out of from a tender/dinghy
Shoal draft(less than 5'6") Or modern cutaway full keel/fin keel that can take minor grounding bumps if deeper.
Narrow/rectangular or T shaped cockpit, I don't entertain people a lot, and comfort in rough weather for me is more important than room for visitors.
Headroom 6'2" or greater if there is at least standing headroom in the galley I can get by for the right boat.
Solar/wind generation already on board.
Independent house batteries.
Watermaker
Good ground tackle
Tender included

Size: 27'-36', 30-33 ideal.

Whatever I get I strongly suspect I'll be trying to get one of Brent Swain's stainless steel woodstoves. I lived with wood heat in BC interior, I like it and don't mind the effort to feed and maintain a wood-stove.

Boats currently for sale within range:
Best:
CS36T(My dad has concerns about the size, but other than the length it seems a perfect fit for all my specs)
True North 34
Aloha 32
Westerly Renown 33'
CS 33
Niagra 31
Spencer 35 MkII
USA Albin Ballard(total refit in the past 4 years rigging, new engine etc)
USA Swift Sloop 33'(handholds everywhere, nice layout)

Acceptable:
Alberg 30
Bristol 33
Murray 33' cutter steel.
Ontario 32'

Boats I like that I can't find or can't afford:
Crealock 31.beautiful one in Seattle, probably my favorite out of all the boats I've seen, but it's almost double my 50, 000$ budget.
Almost any Robert Perry design.
Niagra 35
C&C 34+

Any thoughts, leads on other boats I might not have considered, especially local(West coast of BC) ones would be much appreciated. I really like the way a Ketch rig looks, and the Renown is very attractively priced, but I'm trying to start with what I need/want first and narrow down to what fits rather than starting with a boat I like the look of and trying to adapt my needs to it.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 04-08-2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: layout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2012

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

Rather than limiting your choice on length, it makes more sense to me to be sure there is nothing on board that you are unable to lift by yourself. Your thoughts on cockpit design make sense, but again sit down in one first, and lean back. Is the sitting comfortable. For hours on end? How about laying down in the cockpit seat? How about laying on the cockpit seat, and trying to read? Many will disagree, but I think that boats are like shoes - if they pinch, don't buy it.
davidpm likes this.
Old 04-08-2012

Jonn is on a distinguished road

Check out Islander Freeport 36's. Perry design in you price range. Roomy (I'm 6'4"), lots of storage, comfortable live-aboard and strong support community (FOGgers : Owners and others interested in the care and feeding of Islander Freeport 36-foot and 38-foot sailboats). We are buying one for live aboard near Vancouver and eventual offshore.

More radical alternate join a sailing coop, like Barnet, and build your sailing/cruising experience on the West Coast very cheaply while you look for the perfect boat.
StephenP likes this.
Old 04-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Boats currently for sale within range:
Best:
CS36T(My dad has concerns about the size, but other than the length it seems a perfect fit for all my specs)
True North 34
Aloha 32
Westerly Renown 33'
CS 33
Niagra 31
Spencer 35 MkII
USA Albin Ballard(total refit in the past 4 years rigging, new engine etc)
USA Swift Sloop 33'(handholds everywhere, nice layout)

Acceptable:
Alberg 30
Bristol 33
Murray 33' cutter steel.
Ontario 32'

Boats I like that I can't find or can't afford:
Crealock 31.beautiful one in Seattle, probably my favorite out of all the boats I've seen, but it's almost double my 50, 000$ budget.
Almost any Robert Perry design.
Niagra 35
C&C 34+
Congrats on having the wisdom to actually LISTEN to the voices of experience.

You'd be doing well to get a CS36T for less than $50K - if you've found one, be suspicious of condition. It's not too big to handle - not really any more work than others you've listed.

I'd forget the Alberg 30 - too skinny & cramped for liveaboard - that door setup to close off the head is a pain.

You might add the Spencer 31 - good boats and they have that old "California" layout with a U-dinette opposite a starboard fore & aft galley - pretty spacious for a 31' to live on and WAY under your $ limit.

Peterson 35 from Martin Yachts - three different decks and two different interiors. Big, spacious and fast. The last version with the aft dinette layout is very spacious for liveaboard. They are well within your $ range.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-08-2012

mgiguere is on a distinguished road

There's an S&S 42 in SFO you can single hand and fits all your requirements...if it's still for sale asking $42,500. I have had the 37ft version for 25 years and it's bullet proof, modern design, and fast. Designed buy S&S after Intrepid (twice Americas Cup winner) and built by Chris Craft. Check it out.

chris craft sailboats for sale by owner.
Old 04-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiguere View Post
There's an S&S 42 in SFO you can single hand and fits all your requirements...if it's still for sale asking $42,500. I have had the 37ft version for 25 years and it's bullet proof, modern design, and fast. Designed buy S&S after Intrepid (twice Americas Cup winner) and built by Chris Craft. Check it out.

chris craft sailboats for sale by owner.
That boat has been for sale for YEARS. I've seen it dip slightly below $40K but they must be very firm on price for it to have languished so long. It had a very extensive refit a number of years ago - that's probably why the price is stuck. It's been so long now that it'll need a new one soon.

There's a sister to it in Bellingham that I see every time we eat at one restaurant - beautiful lines with a sheer that even Rhodes would have envied. They look better in the flesh than in pics as well. Calling it a "modern design" is a bit of a stretch though, even if it does have a fin keel. If it was still 1980, maybe. That said, I can see myself looking good on one.

VERY high row away factor.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Cripes, $50K. I can work with that. Okay, let's see if I got this straight- young guy, not much experience, needs headroom, ready to rock, up to 33 feet, liveaboard, PNW.
I'm thinking pilothouse. If you're gonna live aboard, live comfy.

Gulf 29 or 32.
1986 Gulf 29 Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com Yeah, sale pending, but it gives you an idea.
1977 Gulf Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Saturna 33

1991 Saturna Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Should be a couple for sale on the west coast, as they are a Garden design.

Rawson 32 PH

If you'd rather have space and comfort over sailing ability, there is always a willard vega horizon:
C U Later, A 1974 30 ft Willard Vega-Horizon for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Meanwhile, at the opposite end of the desirability spectrum....
Morning Wind II, A 32 ft 1976 Bayliner Buccaneer 320 sloop for sale.
$39,900????!!!!???? Is somebody high?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Cripes, $50K. I can work with that. Okay, let's see if I got this straight- young guy, not much experience, needs headroom, ready to rock, up to 33 feet, liveaboard, PNW.
I'm thinking pilothouse. If you're gonna live aboard, live comfy.
Good point BL - I can think of two local PH boats - the Cooper 316 and 353. The 353 might take a bit of a search or serious haggling for $50K but could probably be done. The 316 dips into the $20's sometimes. Both would be prime liveaboards and usually seem to be equipped for it.

Some of the nicer year round boats for this area.

There are also some North Sea 34's that were built by Beaver Glass - it was a British boat they brought tooling over for. They tend to be scarce and with high asking prices though.
Old 04-08-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Not too keen on the pilothouses to be honest... My understanding is that they are not great in high winds, and there is the risk of serious water entry if you lose a window.
Plus I don't think trying to look over the top sounds like too much fun.
Boats like the Aloha 32 or CS 33/36T already have enough headroom for me anyways.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 04-08-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.