Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
Re: Thoughts on Pearson 37 as first boat...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
David.. I think that comment was directed at Denise's post of the older Pearson drawings.. not your link earlier.
Ooops! that makes more sense now lol
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2012
is Awesome!

Was really hoping to get some more replies and input from Owners/Ex-owners???

Where are you all?????

Specifically to answer the following;
  • Is a Pearson 37 blue water capable/suitable?
  • Are they well built (likely to still be in good shape in-spite of their age)
  • How are they sail?
  • How does the room (and headroom) in the forward cabin compare to the aft cabin in a hunter passage 42?
Old 04-14-2012
Newport

aztucwatson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to aztucwatson Send a message via Skype™ to aztucwatson

I think it is great that you are interested in a boat, but the "across the pond" comment definitely caught my ear. I strongly recommend gradual transition beginning with learning how to sail and taking your new boat out with very experienced crew who can teach/support you. Also, classes and certifications are well worth the investment. Anyway, go slow, be safe, take shorter trips and get accustomed to the lifestyle. Then, think about long journeys. I have one friend who purchased a 169 ft. yacht to cruise with his wife and daughter (yes, 169 ft.). After a couple of months, the family decided to go back home. So, be sure your family or significant others are fully "on board" too.
Old 04-14-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB.UK View Post
Was really hoping to get some more replies and input from Owners/Ex-owners???

Where are you all?????

Specifically to answer the following;
  • Is a Pearson 37 blue water capable/suitable?
  • Are they well built (likely to still be in good shape in-spite of their age)
  • How are they sail?
  • How does the room (and headroom) in the forward cabin compare to the aft cabin in a hunter passage 42?
The number of Pearson 37-2 boats produced is probably ~30 (I know that the number of Pearson 38 boats was <30), so there are not many people our there that own them.

As I said in my earlier post, the hull and rig for the P36-2, P37-2 and P38 was identical, and therefore they would have similar sailing characteristics. The only thing that would differentiate them is that some P36-2s had a centerboard keel, many P36-2s, and I believe all P37-2s had a fin, and most Pearson 38's (and at least one P36-2) had a winged keel.
Old 04-14-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztucwatson View Post
I think it is great that you are interested in a boat, but the "across the pond" comment definitely caught my ear. I strongly recommend gradual transition beginning with learning how to sail and taking your new boat out with very experienced crew who can teach/support you. Also, classes and certifications are well worth the investment. Anyway, go slow, be safe, take shorter trips and get accustomed to the lifestyle. Then, think about long journeys. I have one friend who purchased a 169 ft. yacht to cruise with his wife and daughter (yes, 169 ft.). After a couple of months, the family decided to go back home. So, be sure your family or significant others are fully "on board" too.
My apologies for the confusion, I realise that my title is somewhat misleading.
I have been sailing since I was 15 but always smaller boats, I have sailed in the wit sundays and lots of inland sailing in the UK.
I spent 2 years working as an outdoor activities instructor and whilst there did lots of sailing and was at RYA assistant instructor level before leaving the company (long story) my last boat which I sold about a year ago now was 27ft Soling.

I sailed that boat for 3 years on Loch tay and on occasion (wether was very changeable, very quickly) was out in 5ft waves! battling upwind up just the Jib to come in and pick the mooring up single handed lol, ahh good fun! and very wet!

So where as I make no claims to be anything but a newbie when it comes to yacht sailing, I can sail and KNOW that I have a love of boats and the of water and as I found out on my sailing trip in the wit sundays (and a handful of other occasions) i am in the fortunate minority who do suffer sea-sickness!

As for nearest and dearest, my only significant other at the moment is my cat.

Ok, thats not my cat but thought it would make some of you laugh!

This one is my cat and as long as she has her 'cheeky monkey' I hope that she will be fine, from what I have been reading about cats on boats, they are like people, some are happy... others... not so much!

The lady of my dreams (who I am certain is out there) will most certainly be a 'boaty girl/water baby' for sure!

My family live in a Town in the Northwest of England called Northwich and Northwich has a river which is navigable by boats up to 120ft long and 35ft beam. Its also only 6hrs from the sea, so initially (at least) I will be living aboard with the boat on the river so that I am still near family (brother and sister have young kids). and then when the weather closes in for winter I can head south for warmer weather...

I appreciate the concerns about 'across the pond' though indeed there are some crazy brits, I am not so fool hardy as to even consider such a voyage without (at least) a professional skipper on board.

While I get used to life on board and venture out for weekends on the sea and some coastal cruising I will get myself through the recommend courses. At this point I am thinking that Day skipper followed by Yachtmaster would be a good start but I am open to any further/additional suggestions.

Perhaps my title should have ready first live-aboard yacht my apologies to those who thought this misleading, this was an oversight on my part and was not intended to by deliberate deceit, just an innocent mistake by one filled with the zeal of newbieness!
Old 04-14-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztucwatson View Post
...I have one friend who purchased a 169 ft. yacht to cruise with his wife and daughter (yes, 169 ft.)...
WOW thats some size of boat!

I have the current Oyster catalogue here (which I gaze at EVERYDAY) and eventually I can see myself buying a 625 (60ft) but I can't ever imagine a time when I would want for anything bigger?
Old 04-14-2012
is Awesome!

Edit: My brother has kids and my sister has kids (((not together)))
I have just re-read my post from 45 minuts ago and realised that some people may choose to add there own meaning lol
Old 04-18-2012
is Awesome!

Does anybody know if the Pearson 37 ever made it to the UK?
Old 04-18-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

David I answered you on the other forum. I know your dying for that answer and I think it's been beat to death on most all sailing forums.
fin keels and spade rudders are most often found on coastal cruisers, Yes many people have made long voyages on such boats yet the full and modified keel boats are most often found on boats doing such types of trips.

I'm going to say "no" on the P37 for extended blue water. (hides behind sofa after that statement)
DavidB.UK likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

for comparison only!
P-38

Island Packet 38

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
liveaboard , pearson