SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Thoughts on Pearson 37 as first boat...? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/86077-thoughts-pearson-37-first-boat.html)

DavidB.UK 04-11-2012 01:05 PM

Thoughts on Pearson 37 as first boat...?

Hi everybody,

I am looking at various different options for a liveaboard.

Do we have any Pearson 37 owners/Ex-owners active in the forums?

This looks like a cracking little boat
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resi...=1330721783000

Does anybody have any experience of this boat as a liveaboard?
Also are they well built? I mean they are getting on for 30years old now...
or at least the ones on nearby (timeframe) price range are.
But so am I... and I'm in great shape lol :laugher

I really like the island double but it is difficult to see exactly how much room there really is in that forward cabin from any of the pictures I have been able to find online.

Also whats the headroom like?

I am looking for a first boat as a liveaboard, coastal cruiser and maybe blue water (eventually) if the boat is built strongly enough (opinions on this too please).

sailingfool 04-11-2012 02:04 PM

Re: Thoughts on Pearson 37 as first boat...?

Be sure the surveyor does a through check for wet hull core, you may need to have the boat out of the water for a week or so for this to be valid, but a good surveyor wil advise on this.

Faster 04-11-2012 02:13 PM

I remember when these first came out.. probably the first sailboat to be offered out of the factory with a built in TV! I think the early Legend 37 did something similar.

That and the microwave certainly point to a liveaboard focus... I imagine it would be comfy enough. The earlier Pearson 36 seems a nice solid boat so if this is as good as it appears and passes the acid test survey it may well suit.

Ship or sail across the pond??

DavidB.UK 04-11-2012 02:18 PM

is it a 'blue water' boat?

Could it be sailed across the pond safely?

deniseO30 04-11-2012 02:26 PM

uh oh David! you just asked the question most asked! Prepare thyself for lots and lots of input! Love the accent! "cracking boat" :)

Pretty boat!
http://sailboatdata.com/imagehelper.asp?FILE_id=5554

eherlihy 04-11-2012 02:32 PM

The 1985-1991 Pearson 36-2, 37, and 38 all share the same hull. They were meant to be well built coastal cruisers, with slightly different interiors.

I believe that the Pearson 37 was introduced in 1988, and was sometimes called the "condo-boat." The interior design was developed with a lot of influence from Pearson dealers, and customers. The boat was designed for a microwave, and has wall to wall carpet installed. The captains chairs are a matter of taste... Personally, I find that this boat exemplifies the line that states; "a camel is a horse designed by committee." Disclaimer: I have never seen one in the flesh.

The Pearson 36-2 is a very nice boat, with not that great engine access. If you could find one, I like the Pearson 38 the best.

In all of these boats the build quality was very good, but the cored decks tended to leak around the stanchion bases (and elsewhere). This one looks particularly good in the pictures.

DavidB.UK 04-11-2012 02:56 PM

I love the idea of sailing it across the pond myself, though it may be somewhat of a 'baptism of fire' as I have only sailed inland waters so far...

But fear not fellow members, I am not so silly and reckless to not embark on such an epic voyage without at least 1 person who knows what they are doing!

As a liveaboard I like the layout, though it it not to some people's tastes (I can see why) but from a functionality point of view the layout makes a lot of sense to me, especially as a liveaboard.

eherlihy 04-11-2012 03:09 PM

D- I believe that the pic that you provided is that of a 1982-1987 Pearson 37. The boat in question is a 1988 Pearson 37-2. Similar but much different down below.

DavidB.UK 04-11-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 857278)
D- I believe that the pic that you provided is that of a 1982-1987 Pearson 37. The boat in question is a 1988 Pearson 37-2. Similar but much different down below.

click the link above the picture

It's the link to that boat that is for sale and thats where that picture came from.

Faster 04-11-2012 03:25 PM

David.. I think that comment was directed at Denise's post of the older Pearson drawings.. not your link earlier.