SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sold My Boat, Now What???

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  souljour2000 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Well, I sold my boat after two long weeks of listing it.:D It happened so fast that I still have some seller's remorse.:cool: I have been looking for a bluewater-capable cruiser for a while and now I can look in ernest (money in hand).

Boats I have looked at so far include the CSY 44, which I really like, Valiant 40, Endeavour 40, Islander Freeport 41, Gulfstar 44, Union Polaris 36, and a Cal 39. All nice boats with different things to offer.

What I am looking for is 40'+ with good build quality and room for under $100K. Speed would be a plus, cutter even better. I want to look at Tayana 37 and 42's, but have not seen any yet, and there is a Bayfield 40 in San Diego that I want to check out.

I am open to suggestions, so let 'em rip. I am in SoCal.

Cheers, Bill

#3 ·
Hi all,

Well, I sold my boat after two long weeks of listing it.:D It happened so fast that I still have some seller's remorse.:cool: I have been looking for a bluewater-capable cruiser for a while and now I can look in ernest (money in hand).

Boats I have looked at so far include the CSY 44, which I really like, Valiant 40, Endeavour 40, Islander Freeport 41, Gulfstar 44, Union Polaris 36, and a Cal 39. All nice boats with different things to offer.

What I am looking for is 40'+ with good build quality and room for under $100K. Speed would be a plus, cutter even better. I want to look at Tayana 37 and 42's, but have not seen any yet, and there is a Bayfield 40 in San Diego that I want to check out.

I am open to suggestions, so let 'em rip. I am in SoCal.

Cheers, Bill
4 of your choices are Perry designs, remodels or pirated - pay him his consultation fee and ask away.

#4 ·
Think out of the boat.

Owning a boat is like owning a cabin or a time-share or a .... You are committed to one location.

Just go sailing in all the places that you had wanted to do so. Charter, walk into to the office, get the keys and go sailing. Bring the boat back in good shape. Someone else will do the oil change.

After 34,000 miles of sailing other people's boats, I really do not feel the need to have my own.

#5 ·
Jack, that is the triumph of reason over passion. What about the "MY boat" factor? ;) I enjoy working on them and customizing them at least as much as sailing them.

I have a friend who thinks much like you - he's always been in group owned boats. He's one of shrewdest people I know but he misses out on a lot that way as well IMO. He's also started buying out his partners as they swallow the anchor, instead of soliciting new ones.

In a city it makes a lot of sense to use cabs & transit instead of owning a car but then I'd miss taking my Corvette or my wife's supercharged Jag out trolling for speeding tickets. :D

Sailing and sailboats whole purpose is passion, not rationality.

#8 · (Edited)
Congratulations on selling in this market!! I think the demand for Catalina 36's must be pretty high because I just sold my Catalina 36 a few weeks ago (after a month on the market) and found myself in the same situation. Immediately got seller's remorse after spending some time on the market (there really is a LOT of crap out there). My price range was exactly where your is as well. I ended up stretching a bit to get into the "perfect" boat we happened upon, but I had my eye on this one when we were looking; and while I don't regret it at all, I do wish I could have arranged to see it in person before we found our new boat.

1986 Tayana 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

When I was looking a month or so ago, it was listed for $95,000, now down to $89,000.

#9 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cree, that is a beauty. Tayana is top of my list. Good on you..

#11 ·
Thanks everybody for the great suggestions so far. Cree, I have also been drooling over this one for a while. I might take a look, but Kentucky is ways away from SoCal, and then I have to ship it. Beautiful boat though.

The first ketch that was suggested is also beautiful. I am going to San Diego on Monday to look at the following boats:

Celestial 42
Gulfstar 43
Peterson 44
Bayfield 40

Should give me a lot to think about. Thanks again for the great suggestions, keep them coming!

Cheers, Bill

#12 ·
I have not followed all you recent posts......but, are you going heavier in boat to literally sail bigger sea's for awhile? or just want a heavier boat? Or bigger ie longer so you have more room and this is the style?

Marty

#14 · (Edited)
Man oh Man, that's a heavy-built boat apparently but of course that doesn't always equate to build-quality...37,500 lbs...fast too but not sure how it would do in light winds...sluggish and in the mid 13's SA/Disp. according to Sailpro....sounds like a tank though...built for the charter trade and meant to take abuse...like the OI's...but then some it appears

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.