SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Hunters hard to sell (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/8610-hunters-hard-sell.html)

wakai 12-02-2003 03:00 PM

Hunters hard to sell

Why are Hunters so hard to sell? They are a reasonably priced production boat no better no worst then many other boats. I have been trying to sell my boat for a year and am not even getting inquirys. The boat is priced $5000.00 below blue book and has many up grades and extras. This boat was satisfactory for Bahamas cruising and with shallow draft it was good for Florida cruising. Though not a blue water boat most sailors are not blue water sailors,they skip from port to port island hopping with a few overnite sails when the seas are so flat they motor because their is no winds to sail. So anyone looking for a great deal on a 1983 Hunter 34 send me a offer I''m asking $20000.00 obo any input on how to sell without a broker would be wecome. Tony

Jeff_H 12-02-2003 04:37 PM

Hunters hard to sell

I am not sure why you are having a hard time selling your particular Hunter. The 34 is a popular model and my family''s experience has been that Hunters are reasonably easy to resell and that the older ones seem to hold their value quite well. The last Hunter that a family member sold was a 1979 Hunter 30 and they were able to sell the boat in roughly 2 1/2 months for very close to their asking price and for pretty much what they had in the boat after 2 yearsor so of ownership. Their boat was clean and surveyed well. There was one minor problem which came up in survey and they repaired that. There are a lot of Hunters on the market at any time so you need to look at how your boat compares price wise and condition wise.

Jeff

928frenzy 12-03-2003 02:57 AM

Hunters hard to sell

I bought our 83'' Hunter 34 about two years ago for not much more than what you want for yours. It was kept in the same marina where a friend kept his boat. He knew the owners, and also knew the Hunter was well maintained.

It had lots of the electronic equipment desired on a bay cruiser, three anchors, three batteries, new head, and extra sails. Lastly, it surveyed well and sailed nicely during the sea-trial.

Perhaps you need to advertise it more. Have you listed it in the usual ''boats for sale'' sites, like "Yachtworld"?

~ Good luck and happy sails(sales) to you ~ _/) ~

RyanMI25 12-03-2003 02:22 PM

Hunters hard to sell

Make sure you adverstise everywhere you possibly can. Have pictures available to email. Preferably setup a website with lots of pictures and email. Advertise everywhere you can for free. I''ve sold a Catalina22 and Catalina27, one for equal and one for more then I orginially paid. Both sold in 2 or 3 months without much trouble. Make sure to put your email and contact information in the adds. I''ve never seen it where you''ve posted here. Also state where the boat is located. A Hunter34 is one of the boats I am considering when I boat shop again in a year. As a perspective buyer looking through adds location is a definete need and pictures are good to. Also an available survey is also nice to see.

sailingfool 12-03-2003 03:20 PM

Hunters hard to sell

You should consider also using a broker - it may be better to get a buyer sooner than to sit on the boat for months. You shouldn''t need to sign an exclusive contract - you''d only need to pay the broker if he/she produces a buyer.

Good luck.

JHodor 12-27-2003 09:50 PM

Hunters hard to sell

Hang in there. I bought my Hunter 32 in 1998 for 36K. I then sold it in 2001 or 02 for 41K. I added Air cond. and that was about it. Kept her well did the teak better, etc. I say hang in there because it''s took over a year to sell. I was listing at 49K and got an offer at 38K and ended at 41K. Not bad huh, it was a 1991. It was a nice boat and the buyer still got a great deal for it''s condition. BUC value was around high 40''s at the time. I think the reason I got a deal in 98 was that it was in a low exposure area and I don''t think many looked at it when it was for sale. When I re-sold years later I was in a very high traffic area. If you are serious about selling and can do this, try taking to some sailing mecca where people will see it more and also take most of your stuff off the boat. Peoples imagination can''t look past it sometimes. what are you thinking of getting, becuase many dealers would take her on trade if you are buying a large enough boat. You could possible get 18K for her of true trade in power.

justinbowers 12-30-2003 08:56 PM

Hunters hard to sell

Where are you located? We are currently shopping for a Hunter 34 and are close to purchasing a 1985...but would be interested in your 1983 if it is close to us.

bechinina 01-08-2004 08:36 PM

Hunters hard to sell

Hi Tony,

We are looking for a sailing boat between 30 to 35 feet and our budget is limited.
Can you send us some picture and information about your Hunter 34?
Thanks
Adele