Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012

MWelcome is on a distinguished road
beachable/groundable trailer sailer

Hi-

I have been searching the forums to try to find a boat that meets my requirements without much luck and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I have been put in charge of finding a boat for a friend with the following requirements:

- trailer sailor in the 20-24 foot range
- decent enough accomodations for a weekend with 2 people
- the budget is under $7500 (might be a little flexible there)
- Beachable (or more accurately groundable)

The main sticking point seems to be that the boat needs to have a fully retractable keel. In addition to trailering, it will spend a week or two every year moored in Cape Cod Bay which means it will sit on the ground for 12 hours a day due to the tides. Everything I can find with a swing keel that is deemed "beachable" seems more suited to the occasional nosing up to the beach for an hour or 2. I need something that sits relatively flat on the ground and can take the full weight of the boat for half the day as well as the inevitable bouncing on the bottom as the tide goes out/comes in.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: beachable/groundable trailer sailer

This YW search brought up a few possibilities.. The Compac was the first that came to mind but it's not a fully retractable keel. The Chrysler 22 on this list looks interesting.

trailerable (Sail) Boats For Sale

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-15-2012

jdpmus is on a distinguished road

You might do a search overseas. When we were in Scotland we saw a large number of sailboats with shoal draft TWIN keels. When the tide was out, they were resting on the bottom still tied up in their slips.
Old 04-15-2012

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road

consider a bilge keel boat? sitting flat when the tide goes out is what they are designed to do.
Old 04-15-2012

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

Push the easy button for this one. While there are quite a few different brands I can say from experience that an older (I think they made them untill 1995) Macgregor 26S (swing keel) can be had for that price, many probably lower. We love ours although we are looking to go larger very soon. We will miss a lot about our little trailer sailor like the ability to beach it, dock almost anywhere, low slip fees, not having to schedule with the travel lift, the ability to bring her home during the off season, the ability to pull her out when a hurricane is on its way, etc.

The older 26D (dagger board) can be found even cheaper and I've heard they sail better than our 26S but I do prefer if we run aground having the swing keel simply swing up.

You'll hear a bunch of negative posts about Magregors but they are mostly from people who haven't even been out on one. Our little boat leaves the slip a few times a week passing large expensive "proper" boats that sadly sit tied up growing barnicles and slime. We also find ourselves heading out when the white caps are starting to form while many larger boats are clearing off the bay, its no storm chaser but we've been in weather where we actually surfed her into a creek to anchor for the night which was a little hair raising but the boat did well.

We just put her in Friday evening and so starts another great year of sailing! Even after almost 3 years of ownership I still have a hard time leaving the pier when it's time to go home.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.

Last edited by swampcreek; 04-15-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: content
Old 04-15-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post
Push the easy button for this one. .....
You'll hear a bunch of negative posts about Magregors but they are mostly from people who haven't even been out on one. ....

Swamp.. I think you'll find most if not all the 'negative' MacG posts are in reference to the dual purpose 'motor/sailboats' with the large outboards and excessive freeboard that don't seem to do either purpose particularly well (compared to single purpose boats of either genre) That said they obviously fill a market niche and have been well marketed.

Most will give credit where it's due to the smaller, earlier Ventures and MacS models as good starter (sail)boats.
Bilgewater and paul323 like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-16-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

The first boat I ever owned almost meets your criteria. The Helms 25 (one foot longer than you're looking for!) is:

-trailerable: Simply boat to rig & launch.
-affordable: Easily attainable for much less than $7.5k
-beachable: fully retracting swingkeel and kick-up rudder
-"weekend-able": very roomy v-berth and dinette (no standing headroom, however).

There's probably plenty of others as well. You might even consider the well-known Catalina 22 with a swingkeel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2012

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road

Beachcomber 25 if can find one.
Old 04-16-2012
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Enter boats of old... sharpies being one type.

my current "project"!
Old 04-16-2012
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road

Look at an old Hake Seaward 25 or 26 Maybe out your price range look but for an old one (I saw one for $7K last year) or if you win the lottery go for the new 32RK 32 footer. All the comfort of home in a trailerable fast sailing boat with less than 2 ft draft. Step off and your on the beach.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]