Ample deck, inexpensive boat for up to 6 people for day sailing and single handlng? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-17-2012 Thread Starter

Ample deck, inexpensive boat for up to 6 people for day sailing and single handlng?

Hello.
I am planning on getting myself a sail boat to take tourists around my local area . See the main attractions from the water. At the moment, with the US Coast Guard 6 pack I would only be able to take up to 6 paying passengers. It will be daily sailing, no overnight stays. No life happening in the cabin either.
Basically I would need a boat where people can take pics and enjoy on the deck for up to 4 hours more or less. Ideally, I would like to be able to single handle it. It has to be a sailing boat.

Does anyone has a suggestion on what boat would offer this at the best price?

Thanks

Jav
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-17-2012

Re: Ample deck, inexpensive boat for up to 6 people for day sailing and single handln

Welcome to SN Saimaza!

You didn't say what your local area was and I don't know what your idea of inexpensive is, but here's a nice one:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=2305772

Yeah, I know it's in the Netherlands and it's asking price is $160K, but the idea of a day charter on a boat with cockpit (and cockpit table) like this one has is appealing to me. Tim Lackey did a conversion of a Pearson Triton to a daysailor - again, I don't know your budget (or Tim's prices), but I bet he could deliver a boat that would really fit the bill (I have no connection with Mr. Lackey).

The Daysailor | Building a Classic Daysailor

Lastly, I think that any boat that is going to offer trips of up to 4 hours should have some sort of relatively private head, but that's just my 2 cents.

Bill Sullivan
----------------
Allied Seawind 30
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-18-2012
Just another Moderator

Re: Ample deck, inexpensive boat for up to 6 people for day sailing and single handln

Hope you've got your qualifications and insurance in place for this..

For what you describe I think an at-least-mid-sized catamaran with plenty of deck space would do the trick. You don't need a cabin, they have a pretty unobstructed view from anywhere and you're not limited by cockpit bench seating. Some of the Wharrams would suit, I think, but I can't find one listed in N.A.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #4 of 9 Old 04-18-2012

Has to be Yank built. Jones Act! If you want to get 60 ton ticket and work the Canadian coast, look at Thane. CSI for 18 pass. More information on request to prevent shameless promotion.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-18-2012
Dragon Mod

Dock

Just because you can take six people doesn't mean that you have to take that many. Frankly the thought of being stuck in a cockpit with six other people ( five passengers who are possibly strangers and the captain) in anything under a 50 footer is kind of unappealing. But that's just me. As captain I certainly wouldn't want the liability of people climbing around the deck so that leaves only the cockpit if you aren't concerned about having cabin space.

And for any trip over one hour I would expect a head.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #6 of 9 Old 04-18-2012

I was a passenger once in a similar situation on a Santa Cruz 50. Big cockpit, lots of open deck space, minimal cabin, private head. Overall it was a nice afternoon on the water. I imagine there are other high performance boats that would work, they tend to have big open decks and large cockpits. It would be best to de-power and simplify the rig to make sailing easy and to keep the guests form getting tangled up in the lines.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-23-2012

My Cal 29 has a good size cockpit and six people is really a jam packed boat when they do not know how to sail

For example having a really HIGH boom becomes far more inportant when taking strangers daysailing

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
post #8 of 9 Old 04-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
I was a passenger once in a similar situation on a Santa Cruz 50. Big cockpit, lots of open deck space, minimal cabin, private head. Overall it was a nice afternoon on the water.
I'll bet it was but an SC50 is a major fail on the "inexpensive" component of the OP's requirements.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-26-2012

This is what you need

BARCO COM 09 MTS - Salvador - Barcos - Lanchas

It's a sailboat, plenty of deck space, they are built just for what you need, affordable, very common in Brasil, don't know where you are.....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.