Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dream'n
  • 1 Post By bigrednrn

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012

Dream'n is on a distinguished road
Talking New to me 1969 Coronado 25

Well, my wife and I went down to Saint George, Utah and looked the boat over really well; first on Saturday evening in a heavy rain that had been going all day. Got a good look at all the through the deck leaks. Not unexpected. Other than a hole rubbed in the hull on the very stem of the boat from rubbing the dock for three years and several vertical hairline cracks on both sides of the keel, the hull is in good shape. Deck is solid though there are some stress cracks around the stations. Spent hours rapping all over the deck and hull and found only a few small areas where there is likely a little delamination. Prodded the plywood under the deck and only found one area of rot. Bulkhead is solid. Moved all over the deck and found no soft spots. Fwd hatch is good. Very nice six pad trailer with hydraulic brakes. Returned on Sunday in bright sunny weather and reaccomplished the complete hull and deck inspection. Keel bolts look good, only one showing severe corrosion to the nut. Other three solid. Has a cast iron assembly with lifting eye bolted to the top. Desperately needs cleaning, naval jelly, then painting. Moved to inspecting the rigging and hardware, then looked over the sails and all the rest of the stuff on the boat. The marine head is rough, but is connected to an actual seacock...too bad there is no holding tank, so the head has to be removed or replumbed to meet today's environmental laws. Bottom line....we now own a gem in the rough in the form of a 1969 Coronado. We brought her home on Sunday evening. Left work two hours early on Monday (our 35th wedding anniversary) and pulled off the sails, the cushions, boom and the mast and all standing rigging, then moved the boat to the Great Salt Lake State Marina where I can work on all necessary repairs and cleanup to make this a good safe boat to learn on and enjoy. Will be able to clean and refit the hardware, sails and cushions at home as well. Mast looks really good, though it needs a bit of TLC in terms of wiring and peripherals allowed to deteriorate.
Excited and anxious to get at it and get the boat in the water. Sailing lessons with the Bonneville School of Sailing at Utah Lake are going very well; excellent experience.
RobGallagher likes this.

Last edited by Dream'n; 04-17-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2013

bigrednrn is on a distinguished road
Re: New to me 1969 Coronado 25

In 1969 we purchased a new Coronado 25 sailboat - hull 1122. We sailed her with our 4 children every weekend and vacation until 1984. We raced the boat on Toms River and even took first place one year with our children as crew. They were 12, 8, 6 and 3 weeks old.

We have wonderful memories of the boat. I hope you have the same.
RobGallagher likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook