Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Tartan 27 or Tartan 30

Bubbles,
It is a rare race day that we beat the competition over the finish line boat for boat.
There was one light wind race we sailed in when our center board was stuck in the up position. Normally we play with the damn thing, raising it on downwind and reaches and lowering it for upwind legs. That race we couldn't fiddle with it and ended up in 1st place. Learned something that day. We race on a river with almost 2 knots of current and sometimes the extra slippage or leeway can be an advantage over deeper keeled boats.
Another of our top competitors is a 90+ year old captain who sails a Ranger 23' with his sons. I'll be damned if that old silver fox does not find a way to beat us outright half of the time. Our boats have the same PHRF so it is always an interesting finish.
It goes to show that it is not always the boat's design but more likely the captain and his/her tactics that gets them across the finish line first.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Tartan 27 or Tartan 30

Not sure how far along you are on choosing one boat over another...
but since I have a friend that has owned both the S&S Tartan 30 and a S&S Yankee 30, it might be worth noting that he liked them both as offshore boats -- both for racing and cruising.

They have quite a bit in common - general look, seaworthiness, and design. You might want to consider both rather than only the Tartan.
Old 04-23-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Bubbles,
It is a rare race day that we beat the competition over the finish line boat for boat.
There was one light wind race we sailed in when our center board was stuck in the up position. Normally we play with the damn thing, raising it on downwind and reaches and lowering it for upwind legs. That race we couldn't fiddle with it and ended up in 1st place. Learned something that day. We race on a river with almost 2 knots of current and sometimes the extra slippage or leeway can be an advantage over deeper keeled boats.
Another of our top competitors is a 90+ year old captain who sails a Ranger 23' with his sons. I'll be damned if that old silver fox does not find a way to beat us outright half of the time. Our boats have the same PHRF so it is always an interesting finish.
It goes to show that it is not always the boat's design but more likely the captain and his/her tactics that gets them across the finish line first.
Definitely. On the 2nd to last leg, we were overtaking the T-27. I whispered to my crew that I wanted to take him on the outside and give him the gas, rather than go below and get in his foul air.

Without even looking back, I guess he heard the hiss of water against my hull and once we were overlapping him, he began luffing us up. He drove me too far away from my desired course, so I gave up and dove below him, but by then it was too late.

The final leg was downwind in 5kts or less. From there, we simply maintained our relative positions.

I'm going to see if I can scround a whisker pole from Bacon Sails this week. It definitely would have helped.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-23-2012

75Tartan30 is on a distinguished road

I researched both extensively while searching for my boat and came to the same conclusion as most. The T-30 is the better choice by far.
Old 04-23-2012

baboon is on a distinguished road

Like most posters I agree the T30 is a good choice. I have a T30 but have not sailed a T27. As already mentioned the T30, Yankee 30 and S&S 30 are almost identical boats.

One consideration relates to offshore sailing. The boat is very sturdy, but the cockpit is big, the scuppers are small and there is no bridgedeck. Adding or enlarging the scuppers and glassing in the lower part of the companionway would not be too big a job and would be a good idea to avoid downflooding if you get swamped.
Old 04-23-2012
Sailor

Warren M. is on a distinguished road

Both are very good boats, depending on individual condition as both may be somewhat long in the tooth. I'd go for the T30 for all the reasons mentioned by other posters plus one more: the T27 has a cross member under the mast that I always bumped my head on.
CalebD likes this.
Old 04-27-2012
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

I have a cousin with a 1976 T-30 and a friend with a T-27. The 27 will definitely feel small compared to the 30 but is still a viable offshore boat properly equiped. The 30 will be a more responsive, faster boat and perhaps mroe fun. One thing to consider is the tankage. Both were originally equiped with the Atomic 4, but as an option on the 30, a UNiversal diesel was offered. There are two layout for the 30, one with a mid-ship galley on the starboard and the other with an aft galley. My cousin has the midship version and it's OK, but I think I personally like the aft version.
Just like most S&S designed boats of that era, both will heel to a point, settle in then start Smokin'

Oh, by the way, I just rebuilt my cousin's rudder which the inner metal tabbing broke (corroded) away from the rudder post, so this may be an issue to look for. I fabricated the new skeleton out of a better grade stainless than what Tartan used.

Last edited by ehmanta; 04-27-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2012

Onrust is on a distinguished road

I thought I'd check in with an update. Since I lasted posted, I visited a few more Tartans in my area. I saw a 27 today that was being offered for a low price, but had a lot of issues. Parts of the deck were bouncy and would need a recore and the cabin would need a good amount of work to bring it up to date. I could sail it this season with the deck as is, but it is something that I'd have to have taken care of. I've heard recoring isn't the most difficult job in the world, but I really lack the experience in fiberglass work to feel comfortable tackling it myself.

Anyway, I'm still looking for boats, and now leaning more towards the 27 than I had been before.
Old 05-17-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

After 10 years of co-owning a T27 in the NY area all I can say is that it is a great boat. It sails great, looks great, turns heads and the shoal draft is nearly perfect for the LI Sound or Chessy areas. It was built like a Cadillac in it's day but is a much older lady now.
Our T27 has taught me a lot about boat maintenance. This past winter we replaced the entire drive train on our boat with a new SS shaft, hose, Cutless bearing and whatnot. I now know how to debug an Atomic 4 engine and get it running and tuned.
I haven't had to tackle the one soft spot we have on our deck yet. It seems to be a perennial problem with these older boats where hardware was installed and not properly bedded or re-bedded but the decks can get a bit soft. Several T27 owners have undertaken this project (not me) and have photos of their projects on our T27Owners Yahoo group: T27Owners : Tartan 27 Owners Yahoo Group
if you are interested.
A T27 will cost you only marginally less then a T30 to finance yearly but you will likely make up for that with projects you want/need or should do. Once the projects are done it is just a slightly cheaper but prettier boat - I find that the projects are never done though.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2012

Ltwud is on a distinguished road
Tartan 27 or Tartan 30

We sail the same waters as I will have my 24' in the sound this summer as I look for a 27-30' boat. What changed my dream for an off shore boat was going on a delivery of a 40' from the sound to Astoria over Memorial weekend. It was rougher than I had dreamed and even though the weather could have been much worse it wasn't just a little more intense than the sound... It was the way more intense and it cured me of PNW offshore dreams. I'm going to do the sound and then head up north to the inside passage next year. Off shore in Washington/Oregon makes the Caribbean seem like kindergarten. We arguably have some of the best summer sailing in the country here in protected waters but with the intense tides and roughed shorelines I think wise Washington sailers first use an airplane before getting on the boat to enjoy blue water

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.