Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan 27 or Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onrust View Post
Hey, all. I thought I'd reap the wisdom of the crowds as I narrow down my search for a sailboat. Basically, I'm looking for a versatile boat. I want something that I can single-hand in the Puget Sound for day and some overnight trips without too much hassle, but that can also be used offshore when time and my sailing ability allow.

After a lot of reading and visiting boats on the market, I've narrowed down my search to the Tartan 27 and the Tartan 30. Both boats have the beautiful lines of the classics from that era, but without a full keel. The headroom is decent for smaller boats, which is important to me (being over 6 ft). I especially like the versatility of both boats, that I could possibly use them in the Sound, and make decent speed, and also use them in blue water.

My difficulty is in deciding between the two.

In the Tartan 30's favor is the longer LWL, which could result in greater speed. The 30 also has a roomier cabin, of course. Unlike the 27, there is no centerboard to worry about. If I do ever get offshore, the greater length may make for a slightly more comfortable ride.

On the other hand, a functional centerboard makes the 27 a versatile boat. The shorter length of the 27 (and the shorter mast) will reduce winter storage costs, which are exorbitant in Island.

Forgive me for thinking out loud. I'm sure most of my conflicting ideas about these boats will be resolved as I see more 27s and 30s in person, as the condition of the particular 27 or 30 I end up purchasing will likely be the deciding factor anyway. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to solicit the opinions of sailors who have more experience with these two models.
I am not a big fan of centerboards unless you really need one. A fixed keel will help you point higher and give you better performance. I think you will be very happy to have the longer waterline of the 30.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook