SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Tartan 27 or Tartan 30 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/86517-tartan-27-tartan-30-a.html)

Onrust 04-22-2012 12:50 AM

Tartan 27 or Tartan 30

Hey, all. I thought I'd reap the wisdom of the crowds as I narrow down my search for a sailboat. Basically, I'm looking for a versatile boat. I want something that I can single-hand in the Puget Sound for day and some overnight trips without too much hassle, but that can also be used offshore when time and my sailing ability allow.

After a lot of reading and visiting boats on the market, I've narrowed down my search to the Tartan 27 and the Tartan 30. Both boats have the beautiful lines of the classics from that era, but without a full keel. The headroom is decent for smaller boats, which is important to me (being over 6 ft). I especially like the versatility of both boats, that I could possibly use them in the Sound, and make decent speed, and also use them in blue water.

My difficulty is in deciding between the two.

In the Tartan 30's favor is the longer LWL, which could result in greater speed. The 30 also has a roomier cabin, of course. Unlike the 27, there is no centerboard to worry about. If I do ever get offshore, the greater length may make for a slightly more comfortable ride.

On the other hand, a functional centerboard makes the 27 a versatile boat. The shorter length of the 27 (and the shorter mast) will reduce winter storage costs, which are exorbitant in Island.

Forgive me for thinking out loud. I'm sure most of my conflicting ideas about these boats will be resolved as I see more 27s and 30s in person, as the condition of the particular 27 or 30 I end up purchasing will likely be the deciding factor anyway. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to solicit the opinions of sailors who have more experience with these two models.

lajimo 04-22-2012 01:02 AM

Re: Tartan 27 or Tartan 30

The best way to tell is to sail both of them - in the current Market I bet you can get some owners to take you on a test sail if you explain you are serious and trying to narrow down. All else being equal of course the boat in the best condition wins.

sailingfool 04-22-2012 10:10 AM

The Tartan 30 is twice the boat the 27 is. No comparison from any perspective. If you want a nice sailing, comfortable pocket cruiser a T30 is hard to beat.
As to going to Bermuda, you and you preparation would be the major limiting factors, not whether the boat will continue to float.

eherlihy 04-22-2012 11:06 AM

When are you planning to buy this boat?

Think carefully, and answer truthfully...

I strongly suggest that you buy the boat that you will use today, today.

Keep shopping for the boat that you will use tomorrow, while enjoying the boat that you buy today.

I too, dream of sailing off shore to distant lands in an ocean crossing capable vessel. However, I am not going without my wife, and she has never been in the open ocean, and it will take some sailing time to get here there. Also, to be honest, 95% of the sailing that I have done has been coastal cruising.

So, while the Passport 40, CS36T, Sabre 38, Tartan 40, and SeaWind 1160 (Oysters / Swans / etc.) all look great, I BOUGHT an O'day 35.

Onrust 04-22-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 861794)
When are you planning to buy this boat?

Think carefully, and answer truthfully...

I strongly suggest that you buy the boat that you will use today, today.

Keep shopping for the boat that you will use tomorrow, while enjoying the boat that you buy today.

I too, dream of sailing off shore to distant lands in an ocean crossing capable vessel. However, I am not going without my wife, and she has never been in the open ocean, and it will take some sailing time to get here there. Also, to be honest, 95% of the sailing that I have done has been coastal cruising.

So, while the Passport 40, CS36T, Sabre 38, Tartan 40, and SeaWind 1160 (Oysters / Swans / etc.) all look great, I BOUGHT an O'day 35.

I just want to make myself clear. I'm not going to buy a boat and head out to Bermuda the next day. I'm not on a suicide mission. I've sailed for many years but still know that I need more experience before I go offshore. For me a Tartan 27 or 30 is a compromise. The designs lend themselves to both types of sailing that I hope to do.

BubbleheadMd 04-22-2012 11:24 AM

The above post is correct, there is no comparison between the two. I've been on both. I say skip the later upgrade, and just buy the T30 now. Enjoy the extra room and easy engine access of the T30.

MarkCK 04-22-2012 12:46 PM

I agree also on buying the T30. It's a bigger nicer boat. And you are correct in buying the boat that is in the best shape for the money.

Onrust 04-22-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkCK (Post 861838)
I agree also on buying the T30. It's a bigger nicer boat. And you are correct in buying the boat that is in the best shape for the money.

I find myself slightly in favor of the T30 myself. I'm checking out another one this week, and if it looks good, will follow up with a survey. I'll let you all know how it works out.

CalebD 04-22-2012 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like your choices in potential boats. I'm not an impartial judge though since I own a T27.

We race our T27 against a T30 and often enough we get 1st place after PHRF correction. That said, not all T30's are the same. There is a tall mast version and a standard version and the boat we race against is the std. version.
"The standard rig includes a fin keel with skeg hung rudder that draws 5' while the tall rig has an extra 3 feet of mast, 5'6" of draft and an extra 500 pounds of lead."
Source: TARTAN 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The T27 has a modified full keel that is 3'6" deep. I've heard it referred to as a full keel with a cutaway fore foot. This helps it track well on a course. It also makes it a bit slower to come about. The center board drops to 6' and allows one to move the CLR fore or aft which you can't do with a big fin keel like the T30 has.

The T30 would be my choice if I was looking for a 30' boat. The engine access on the T30 is wonderful. I'd bet that the cabin interior seems twice the size of my T27.

Perhaps for obvious reasons I like the look of the T27 better then the T30. The T27 sails wonderfully even with the center board all the way up. The shallower draft is nice for coastal cruising and being able to get into skinny water places.

Recently launched:

BubbleheadMd 04-22-2012 06:30 PM

Caleb, I'm embarrassed to admit that I was soundly beaten by a beautifully restored T-27 in this Wednesday's evening race. I don't mean corrected over, I mean beaten boat for boat. :o

It was a very light air night, and the skipper of that boat is definitely skilled. I'll pass along some photos if I can get some.