SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Beneteau 35 types

8K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
On Yachtworld, I see a 35-foot Beneteau First 35, First 35s5, First 35s7, First 345, and a 34-foot First 325 and First 345. Are all these real models or just misnomers? And of those that are real, what are the differences between them? I noticed that most have drafts of 6 feet, but others seem to be shoal draft. Is there a standard draft for a given model?

Thanks,
Chas

#2 ·
Yes almost all of those are real models although I don''t believe that there is a 35s7 and I assume that the First 35 is either a 345 or a 35s5. They all came with a number os keel options.

Jeff

#3 ·
I am half owner in a First 345 and can tell you a bit about it: Displacement is about 13000, draft is 6'', length is 34''5" and it is set up with tiller steering. It has a reverse transom, backstay, double spreaders, and a great cockpit with the traveller before the hatchway on a bridgedeck. The layout below is conventional, with v berth, aft double starboard, head aft portside past a galley, and the folding table in the salon is centred. We went in on this one after looking very hard at the new 311 and 331.

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback,

I must say, I''ve always heard Beneteaus refered to with a subtle (or not so subtle) air of derision. But on this BB, it seems that some cruisers prefer them. That''s a high recommendation, in my view. How do they sail? Do they have good sailing performance? Are they easy on the crew? Are they sturdy?

Chas

#5 ·
The answer somewhat varies with the model. I have quite a bit of contact with the Beneteau First 345, First 38s5 and First 40.7. I have been quite impressed with all three in terms of sailing ability and boat for the dollar. The 40.7 seems to be an amazingly sturdy boat with exemplary sailing manners. The 40.7 that I have been racing on just won the IMS Mid- Atlantics (as a nearly 4 year old pretty much box stock boat with something on the order of 10,000 ofshore miles) beating some very well sailed and prepared boats.

The other two also seem quite sturdy as well, although some of thier original details have not held up well. Beneteau uses Lewmar hatches and the plexiglas on the mid-80''s and early 90''s hatches does not seem to hold up very well on the Lewmars. I found the 38s5 an easy boat to short-hand or single-hand although the versions with the traveller in the cockpit would be easier to handle than the ones with the traveller on the cabin top.

Jeff

#6 ·
My first-hand experience with our Beneteau First 345 is limited to a sea trial but I have had long chats with the fellow I purchased from, the boat is sea-kindly and capable and noted around this club for it racing record--which may be due to tiller steering which I find way more responsive in a competitive situation, and also hull design, combination of which makes it point high.
Generally, though, if you are looking at a used boat, there seem to be three kinds: the ones that are worn out and need everything replaced: take the purchase price times 2 and give yourself two seasons of changing out things to get it right. A second type has been "maintained"--when it was getting old, it was changed out. Take purchase price and add 10% to make it yours, and it is an ageing but solid boat. The one I bought had been "evergreened"--pro-active, loss-prevention type spending that has kept the boat better than new, because of upgraded electronics etc. They cost more but are worth more.
Best wishes with your search, maybe Santa can find you one

#9 ·
You should understand that Beneteau makes 2 types of boats. The "First" series are generally more race oriented. The "s" in the designation means that Phillipe Starck, a French hi style designer, did the interiors. The 331 you were considering is the crusier series, used to be called Oceanis. These boats are heavier, have more storage, as you would expect in a cruising boat.

#10 · (Edited)
Most of the above is still right on the money however a couple years down the road now....thre is a third type of BENE..... being manufactured.

these are the contract boats for outfits such as moorings.
They have various hulls, which moorings generally selects for cruising room over absolute speed, and they are rigged fairly basicly and simply.

I know that they were still being manufactured through 2008 and designation for these boats is generally length.#of cabins ie 38.2, 35.2, 38.3 etc.

In fact I have a neighbor (one who I sail with on occasiono her boat) taking her 2008 35.2 off the charter business and selling it outright now. For comparison differences, they have a different more glossy feel inside on the wood, over say the regular first or oceanis series. very light feeling interiors.

I find the boat handles really well compared to the firsts I have played with, tho electronics and hardware are mostly sufficient. Women tend to love the boat for its clean lines and spacious feeling. Doesnt seem to point quite as high as my hunter tall rig, but she has good manners. Systems on this boat built in south carolina are typical american brands. so parts are easy.

pics and vids of this boat in about 7 to 8 kts are here at the end of the page below.

OctDemosail pictures by Beneteau35_2 - Photobucket

please excuse some of the sloppy sail handling.....lol.... I was in the dinghy taking the pics. But she feels a little slower than the first, tho I havent had a similarly sized first to pace yet.

seems to be a decent boat.
there are several of these for sail in Anacortes right now....... I am partial to them, but just bought a hunter in january and the home economy just wont support a third sailboat right now.....:laugher :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.