Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Baba 35 vs Tayana 37 vs Hans Christian 38

Join the Tayana Owners Group ( TOG) a goggle group organization. Many of the the T37's sell from private parties. The listed price you quote is way to high. TOG will help you identify all the issues with this boat. I've owned hull number for 60 18 years. A boat for a lifetime....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Disregard TQA's stupid generality.

The Baba 35, aka Flying Dutchman 35, is by far the better built boat of the three. It sails about the same as the Tayana 37. But it's shorter so off the wind the TY 37 may be a hair faster. Not sure about the HC. Not too keen on some of their construction details though. I can't speak to how the HC sails but obviosly I have more faith in my own designs.

The hull forms of the Baba 35 and the TY 37 are very similar.

I would say from a value perspective the Baba 35 is the best boat on your list.
Sorry Bob for criticizing your baby but the facts speak. The Baba 35s have a history of problems with the mild steel fuel tanks and replacement is not easy.

I believe they have teak decks laid on a balsa cored fibre glass deck. As the last Baba 35 was built in 1986 [ I think ] that deck will be at least 27 years old. OK maybe the owners have been really carefull with the deck upkeep but not all do.

Correct me if I am wrong but is the deck teak overlay not screwed down onto the fibreglass deck? So we have how many holes leading into the core?

I looked long and hard at a lot of boats from that era when I was on the hunt for my forever boat. I listened to a lot of cruisers with boats from that era and the problems they had encountered. Over and over again I heard about leaking teak decks and the costs of repair. Also the nightmare of trying to replace fuel and water tanks that were installed before the deck went on.

The OP asked about resale value. Try and sell a boat with a leaking diesel tank, a wornout teak deck on a soggy deck core and evidence down below of water leaks.

There is an HC for sale just now in the PNW at a reduced price. Why is the price reduced who knows? Might just be related to the [ admitted ] soggy deck core.

BTW I have been lucky enough to have been inside both a Baba 35 and a HC 38.I just liked the extra space in the HC but I am 6'3".

Last edited by TQA; 04-24-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

TQA:
You have your facts but I don't think they are "universal" they are just your "facts". Kind of like your "leaky Teak" comment.
I have a fact too. My pal Donn has a beautiful PH Baba 35 with no deck problems at all. He bought this boat two years ago in reasonable condition. It's a great boat. He now has it in tip top shape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-25-2013

Been through all the so called problems on my T37. Easily solved by a bit of elbow grease and a few bucks. We took off the last of the teak deck on the coach roof in January/February while at anchor in Thailand. Sure lots of small holes to fill, core in excellent shape as I had kept up with the deck seems and plugs.
Same with the Black Iron tank, cut that sucker out with a sawzall in New Zealand. New tanks in bilge and under port and starboard settee's, better weight distribution etc.

Any of these boats are going to require some work. Better the devil you know then....
Suggest you pay a little more for a well cared boat.
If you don't love working on boats then something with a little less teak and a lot more plastic may suit you better.

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 04-25-2013

Correct me if I am wrong but is the deck teak overlay not screwed down onto the fibreglass deck? So we have how many holes leading into the core?

Actually, I was surprised how few screws had penetrated the core. A screw guide must have been used when applying the teak decks. Uniform penetration of the screws into the fiberglass was the norm. I drilled out every hole and filled with epoxy.

Old 04-26-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

had a t37 and loved it. stainless not the best but very solid ride.
?Have you thought of adding a cape George to your list.
Old 04-26-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

As folks dig up and comment on a one yr old thread, as if the op is still looking? who know, they maybe..........

at the end of the day, if the boat floats your view points, buy it!

I'd rather have an islander 28 than a baba, tayana, hc style boat!
Old 04-30-2013

biggles72 is on a distinguished road

As the starter of this thread I am proud to announce I am the happy owner of a Hans Christian 38 and happy with my decision. If I would do anything differently next time I would buy the HC43 or HC48, but I don't have a lazy 1/4 of a mill in the bank for the 48.

If I had the choice here in Asia I would have looked closely at the Baba/Panda/Tashiba 40 but for the money the HC is hard to beat. I even saw one today asking 35k. For such a fine vessel this is a bargain. That being said and with all teak laden boats you get what you pay for and a 35k boat could turn into an expensive repair job.

My boat had its teak decks professionally redone about 5 years ago, and re-caulked last year. No leaks. The engine and smelly bilge needs a cleanup and eventually a re-power but runs perfectly fine. Just a little smelly inside when under power (might need exhaust inspected)

Shes moored in Thailand where the water is warm and the teak work and labor are very cheap. (By the way teak gets bloody hot in the tropics)

I am wanting to start a blog to share my experiences and photos. Can anybody recommend a good free blog site?

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to help.
blt2ski and utchuckd like this.
Old 04-30-2013

remetau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles72 View Post
As the starter of this thread I am proud to announce I am the happy owner of a Hans Christian 38 and happy with my decision. If I would do anything differently next time I would buy the HC43 or HC48, but I don't have a lazy 1/4 of a mill in the bank for the 48.

If I had the choice here in Asia I would have looked closely at the Baba/Panda/Tashiba 40 but for the money the HC is hard to beat. I even saw one today asking 35k. For such a fine vessel this is a bargain. That being said and with all teak laden boats you get what you pay for and a 35k boat could turn into an expensive repair job.

My boat had its teak decks professionally redone about 5 years ago, and re-caulked last year. No leaks. The engine and smelly bilge needs a cleanup and eventually a re-power but runs perfectly fine. Just a little smelly inside when under power (might need exhaust inspected)

Shes moored in Thailand where the water is warm and the teak work and labor are very cheap. (By the way teak gets bloody hot in the tropics)

I am wanting to start a blog to share my experiences and photos. Can anybody recommend a good free blog site?

Good choice!

Old 04-30-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles72 View Post

Congratulations on your buy. I liked the HC as well.

Re the Blog well I have used google blogger for some 5 years now and am happy with the free service they offer. Your pics end up online too so learn to use Picasa web albums.