Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeanneau Fantasia thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
Just found this thread. I own a Jenneau Fantasia. This is my second one. Sold the first after the kids became teens. This one, a 1985, has a 10hpYanmar inboard, cast iron keel, furling headsail. My wife and I sail her on Lake Winnipeg, and completed a 3.5 week trip to the top of the lake last year, hauling all food and water with us. I love the boat and would be happy to answer any questions about her.
Richard.
Thanks for jumping in! Did you add tankage for your trip, or did you jerry can it? If we were to use one up here, remote trips with no services would be the norm. The 13G water would really need some help. Of course, up here in summer it wouldn't be hard to refill from the dingy at many creeks and filter into the tank. We are used to that drill anyway. 7g of fuel, on the other hand may call for a jerry can or two, or some clever thinking on adding capacity. What did you do?

Sounds like a really fun trip! And, did you travel with the kids with the first one? We are thinking that the small cabin in the aft would be perfect for two small girls, and we could then have the main salon for hanging out and sleeping. Just seems the perfect camper boat in our price range.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

The tilt setup could be for raising the mast on the trailer, without having to buy time with a crane etc. Used something like this with a 21' CB trailer sailer my parents had.

The rotted foam is going to be an issue no matter the brand from that era. The french built boats seem to be worst than the NA built boats......But I do know of some NA built ones with the same issue.

Marty
Old 05-03-2012

rvs is on a distinguished road

We did jerry can it. For me it didnt make sense to provide extra permanent tankage as this was a temporary need. Also 10 cases of bottled water for drinking, although a lot of that came back with us. There is no way we could drink the local water. Did p.u. extra diesel though, at Grand Rapids.
Both boys were raised on the first Fantasia, when under way the baby slept under the salon table in cushions etc.They shared the aft cabin thru to early teens. Then a 5yr.landbased hiatus.
Now my wife has the aft cabin and I the vee berth.
Not only is she great for sailing/raising a family it was often the local party boat, as you can fit a LOT of folks around the horseshoe shaped salon seating for an evening get together.
Richard.
Old 05-03-2012
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
We did jerry can it. For me it didnt make sense to provide extra permanent tankage as this was a temporary need. Also 10 cases of bottled water for drinking, although a lot of that came back with us. There is no way we could drink the local water. Did p.u. extra diesel though, at Grand Rapids.
Both boys were raised on the first Fantasia, when under way the baby slept under the salon table in cushions etc.They shared the aft cabin thru to early teens. Then a 5yr.landbased hiatus.
Now my wife has the aft cabin and I the vee berth.
Not only is she great for sailing/raising a family it was often the local party boat, as you can fit a LOT of folks around the horseshoe shaped salon seating for an evening get together.
Richard.
That sounds like a great way to be raised! Quick question though as we don't have one to look at up here. We are both rather tall and were thinking that the V berth, due to its convertible nature would have a lot of room. Kinda one of us on each side of the table, is there not enough room for your wife and yourself on the vbirth?
Old 05-03-2012
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
The tilt setup could be for raising the mast on the trailer, without having to buy time with a crane etc. Used something like this with a 21' CB trailer sailer my parents had.

The rotted foam is going to be an issue no matter the brand from that era. The french built boats seem to be worst than the NA built boats......But I do know of some NA built ones with the same issue.

Marty
That would actually be pretty dang nice to be able to raise the mast without a crane. Hmmm. Interesting.

Yep, seems like the headliner is a problem on so many 80's boats. Just part of the deal I guess. If you see the boat I would love to hear your thoughts!
Old 05-03-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Anacortes is about 50 miles north of me, not sure I will be up that way any time soon, if I do I will try to get a peak. as I am obviously closer to it than you! LOL

rvs looks like how my family of 6 went land rv'ing, and the previous owner of my boat did with their two girls. 7 gals of fuel is a bit tite. I carry a 5 gal jug when doing an 8-10 hr motor potential. I get about .5-.75 gals a hr out of my twin cyl 20 hp yanmar. I would think a 10hp single cylinder would be closer to .5 than the .75 that I am closer to, even a gal+ an hr if I push the go fast lever and go in the 6-6.5 range vs 5.5-6 knot speed. My boat at about 2' long probably has a bit more room, but will say, generally speaking rvs's comments about their fantasia is equal to my Arcadia.

There are a couple of reviews at the jeanneau-owners site, as is the good old boat review of my boat from the July/aug 2010 issue.

Marty
Old 05-04-2012

rvs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
That sounds like a great way to be raised! Quick question though as we don't have one to look at up here. We are both rather tall and were thinking that the V berth, due to its convertible nature would have a lot of room. Kinda one of us on each side of the table, is there not enough room for your wife and yourself on the vbirth?
You are quite correct, there is ample room at the table, and obviously less at the pointy end. Sleeping seperatly is something we do at home and the boat as my wife"jumps around" when asleep. I am 6ft and my head doesnt quite reach the table by about 6-8" when lying in the vee berth, and yes you can use the side berths for extra length.
I have added headsail furling, shorepower,Xantrex charger, Link10 monitor, 2 golf cart AGM,s, refridgeration, 60 amp alternator. Also this year a chartplotter, and tiller pilot, DSC radio and Wham mic, with cockpit speaker and volume control.
I am putting off dealing with the interior liner foam issue for now.
Regards, RVS.
Old 06-24-2013

shepmoon is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I just bought a Fantasia 27 Centerboard, 1986 model.
It is in pretty good shape but needs the window replaced due to cracks and crazing. Also, new head and side liner.
I contacted Jeanneau about the material and thickness of the windows, but they had them made out of house and don't have this.
Do you know whether it was plexiglass or Lexan and also, any experience with the liner material?
Thanks,