Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau Fantasia thoughts?

Any thoughts out there on the Fantasia? My wife and I are about a year from considering a boat purchase and this one has popped up many times on our radar. We are a small family very used to camping and tight quarters. This would be for weekend sailing in Resurrection Bay and PWS. We have found a few with Centerboards that claim to be trailerable. Just wanted to know if anyone had been on one and how they sailed. Up here in AK we mostly see Catalinas and Benes as that is the only dealer.

We have been on smaller firsts from the 80s (liked them a lot) and the 323 (Ok, but nothing exciting) as a comparison to what we have looked at.

Man of all things Jeanneau? Marty?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2012

nodders is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeanneau Fantasia thoughts?

I will pipe in as we almost bought one last year. We opted for a slightly larger boat though so didn't buy it.

The interior design is one of the best I have seen on a boat that size and the fact that it is all open (except for the head) makes it seem more spacious. Cockpit is a nice size and comfortable.

I also love the head to aft idea - just don't like it next to the V berth.

I sailed it in a moderate breeze and it handled well and had no issue with moderate Lake Ontario waves. It was responsive and pointed well. The model I sailed had a fixed keel though and the owner advised me that this was very important. apparently, there was a centerboard model in the marina and it was very very touchy in strong breezes to the point that the owners were reluctant to take it very far from shore and potential rescue. he also said something about having the larger diesel engine (I think) that added more ballast to the boat and thus stability.

Keeping this in mind, it was a nice boat and we almost went for it.

Hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2012
Frozen Member

Thanks. Sure seems to get good reviews on layout and sailing from the digging I have done. I was concerned about the tenderness of the centerboard version as we don't really need a shallow draft up in AK, but for getting it up here the trailer would have been a huge plus. Also, it would be nice to be able to pull it and store it during our long winters.
Old 05-01-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Unless one of you has serious 'heelaphobia' (a clinical condition causing irrational fear and panic when subject to moderate to severe tilted environs ) a tender boat isn't necessarily a deal breaker. Sail trim, technique and sail selection along with practice and experience will get you by - esp if the trailerable option is high on your list.

I suspect the 'unusable c/b version' anecdote above says more about the owners than the boat itself.

That said, the improved stability and heel resistance of the fixed keel version will be nice to have, esp when you don't 'need' the shoal draft aspect. Overall I'd say the fixed keel version would be preferred for your area.

... wonder where Marty is?????

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-01-2012
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Unless one of you has serious 'heelaphobia' (a clinical condition causing irrational fear and panic when subject to moderate to severe tilted environs ) a tender boat isn't necessarily a deal breaker. Sail trim, technique and sail selection along with practice and experience will get you by - esp if the trailerable option is high on your list.

I suspect the 'unusable c/b version' anecdote above says more about the owners than the boat itself.

That said, the improved stability and heel resistance of the fixed keel version will be nice to have, esp when you don't 'need' the shoal draft aspect. Overall I'd say the fixed keel version would be preferred for your area.

... wonder where Marty is?????
I don't really think the heelaphobia will be an issue for us. We are both whitewater guides, and into rather intense sports. My wife is going to do her first keelboat classes this summer and we will know for sure, but it doesn't bother her on the dingy blowing around our local lakes. I personally find it fun! But, having a full keel would let you keep more sail up when the wind increased, no? That would be nice really when the water is 100'+ deep almost everywhere up here.

I hope Marty is out sailing rather than watching for new posts on here.
Old 05-02-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

No I am not out sailing, just working.....grrrrr....oh to be independently wealthy!

brochure link
http://www.jeanneauforum.nl/document...20brochure.pdf

Jeanneau.fr link with some specs etc
Fantasia 27 Sailboat JEANNEAU shipyard, boatbuilder for sailing : sailboat, dinghy, powerboat racing boat cruising fishing yachting

From another source, the boat appears to have been produced from 82-92. So quite awhile actually. Alize - Fantasia

Mine anyhow as mentioned, is a bit tender to a degree, but a fun boat to sail. Which Jeanneau's generally speaking sail well! Better than an equal Catalina, Hunter, beneteau other than the firsts. But close behind etc.

Layout appears to be similar to my boat which is about 2' longer. Mine is tight, I am sure this one will be too. Headroom is on the shorter side of things. BUT, for a 27'ish foot boat, one does not always want head room if you want to sail vs get blown sideways etc.

Not sure about the tenderness of the CB model. I know of one person with my boat and a CB, he has not complained, nor have I seen any CB owners of other boats complain either. Granted most of like mine, 29-32', but still........Could be the owners of the tender boat do not know how to sail well, trim sails, have blown out sails etc. If I was in your shoes, a CB model would be on my list frankly. Not sure what the measure in feet is for 2.88M, maybe faster has it quicker in his brain than I. I am thinking that is a bit more than 8.5'.....but even at 9', one can trailer that with out too many issues behind a pickup. All one needs sometimes for local roads is an overwidth sign on the front of the pickup and rear of the boat. all of $50 for signage, and away you go! Even a fixed keel version would be easily trailerable frankly if you had the right trailer, a hoist to put it on etc..........

here are phrf ratings plus mine as it was the listing below, so easy to copy and paste....1st is high/fastest rating, middle low/slowest and the 3rd the ave in the USSailing regiment of divisions.
JEANNEAU 27 FANT IB CB 216 225 219
JEANNEAU 27 FANT OB CB 204 204 204
JEANNEAU 27 FANTASIA 201 222 213
JEANNEAU 30 ARCADIA 159 191 171

Some issues with Jeanneau's of that era. The foam backed vinyl liner is rotted, so if it has not been replaced, figure that into your fun of owning the boat. I can get you links to how I did mine at http://jeanneau.tripod.com/ also linked sorta above ie third link given, search that site for more info. The wood work frankly is pretty top notch IMHO especially compared to todays. The interior frame is tabbed to the hull. Most of the interior is screwed in, so if you want to remove, take parts home and revarnish as I did from in the water, easy! When I did do the interior vinyl, I should have probably looked at the wiring a bit better than I did, and replaced where appropriate, None is shot. Not sure it is tinned as most is today. This may be an issue from any boat back in the 80' frankly.

I personally feel comparing boats of that era, Jeanneau is a step above some of the other mass produced boats. Others will dissagree......on the other hand, I've noticed those that like Catalina, do not like jeanneau, and vice versa. Reality is, choose the flavor that you feel will work for you.

Marty

ps,
forgot the owners network forum link.........watch out for 2 of the three mods, someone named MartyB and another zanshin?!?!?! any way..............
http://jeanneau.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Last edited by blt2ski; 05-02-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-03-2012
Frozen Member

Thanks for the great writeup! You are truely the man when it comes to Jeanneau, which is quickly becoming my favorite boats as I look around (at least without going into the "never going to happen" category).

Here is the one that caught my eye and it even comes with the trailer. One interesting thing is that they refit it with a tabernacle. Claims it was an original option. Guess I have some reading to do at the links you posted.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=24190&url=

Unfortunately we are not really in the market quite yet. This summer we are going to continue our small boat practice on lakes, get as much time in at Resurrection Bay as we can. My wife is taking 101 & 103 this summer. Next winter we are going to try our hands at a charter SOMEWHERE WARM!!! Gotta get out of the -30F or colder for some time. By this time next year we will quite possibly have the cash to move ahead with such a purchase and we can take a fresh look at what is out there.

We may have to fly down to your neck of the woods to do some shopping.
Old 05-03-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

If you can pull this one off, do it! Looks reasonably clean. I should be seeing the VP of that brokerage this weekend. Not sure if he has seen that boat as of yet or not. Pics make it look clean. Altho one worries me in that it appears to be some loose vinyl in photo 17.

If you do like that one, talk with jeff Carson, he is in the seattle branch. I think there is one sales person in Anacortes, with 5 of 6 in Seattle on lk union.

I will not quote the tabernackled mast. Altho it may be talking about the mast to deck connection, vs some having a folding mast about a foot or two up from the plate at the cabin top.

Marty
Old 05-03-2012

rvs is on a distinguished road

Just found this thread. I own a Jenneau Fantasia. This is my second one. Sold the first after the kids became teens. This one, a 1985, has a 10hpYanmar inboard, cast iron keel, furling headsail. My wife and I sail her on Lake Winnipeg, and completed a 3.5 week trip to the top of the lake last year, hauling all food and water with us. I love the boat and would be happy to answer any questions about her.
Richard.
Old 05-03-2012
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
If you can pull this one off, do it! Looks reasonably clean. I should be seeing the VP of that brokerage this weekend. Not sure if he has seen that boat as of yet or not. Pics make it look clean. Altho one worries me in that it appears to be some loose vinyl in photo 17.

If you do like that one, talk with jeff Carson, he is in the seattle branch. I think there is one sales person in Anacortes, with 5 of 6 in Seattle on lk union.

I will not quote the tabernackled mast. Altho it may be talking about the mast to deck connection, vs some having a folding mast about a foot or two up from the plate at the cabin top.

Marty
What a small world! Seems it gets even smaller the further north we go. I would love to be able to move on this boat for the summer, but we are literally awaiting a baby any second. And I mean any second, bags are packed and in the car, hospital 2.5 hours away. I am on high alert. Life in Alaska can be interesting.

So this summer is mostly sailing one or the other of us with our older girl and getting her into the fun.

On the mast front, you are right about this being the mast to deck connection rather than a folding setup now that I look closer. Still looks like it is setup to tilt. What would be the purpose of that given where it is mounted? Of course this is an area I know absolutely nothing about so that may just be a plain silly question.

I did see the loose vinyl in pic 17. I was assuming this was as you were mentioning in your first post regarding the foam backing rotting? Seems to be an issue on many of the boats of the era. We really liked an 85 First that was up in Seward last summer that had sagging. I have also seen it on almost all the pics of the same era Firsts we have looked at. Sounds like a bit of a bear to replace. Headliners on cars can be a pain, so a whole boat in vinyl sounds significantly worse. But it may come with what we like and the year we can afford. Hey, it won't leave you stranded somewhere cause the liner sags though! So it could be much worse as a problem goes.

Last edited by AlaskaMC; 05-03-2012 at 01:07 AM.