Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012

drseawell is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down advice on buying a boat that needs work

Hello forum!
This is a long story and I'm not sure where to start because I'm new to this forum and to sailing. So I'll go in chronological order: Went sailing with a friend, anchored in Charleston near a run down looking 1977 33' Morgan Out Island. Found out that the owner wanted to get rid of it, for $500. My buddy and I went over to take a look at it, it's a foot deep in h2o. My friend, who has been a sailor for 20 years and a live aboard for 15+ years said, "knowing what I know now, if i was in your position, I would seriously buying this boat." My position is this: I'm 22 years old, about to finish college in a year, and want to live aboard after I graduate. After some investigating, the story on this boat is that it was a older guys boat, he died and his wife didn't want it. It's been sitting in the harbor at anchor ever since (about a year).
So basically I want a second (third, fourth, fifth) opinion about this whole situation. $500 seems to be a borderline giveaway although the boat needs a lot of attention. My hombre says it's likely the water on the interior is simply getting in from around the prop shaft since it likely hasn't been flaxed in so long, eventually the batteries died and the bilge pump went offline. He says all the exterior parts important for sailing seem to be okay, minus the sails.
The initial goal is obviously pump out the water and installing a working bilge/battery. Then it will need a lot of trashing out of basically everything that's not built in and airing out. Question: what should I expect at that point? Lots of rot? I've read that salt water and/or too much water is not conducive to rot. Would pressure washing the interior with bleach be the next step (as another friend suggested)?
My initial goal is to get it in a liveable condition such that I can stay on it (at anchor) while continuing repairs and then sail-able condition down the road.
Does this seem doable/ a good idea? Any comments or advice are welcomed.

Last edited by drseawell; 05-05-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: fun
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2012

fiberglass1 is on a distinguished road
Re: advice on buying a boat that need work

The short answer is that you will spend way more money and time than it will ever be worth. You may not be able to live on it for years. And you can find a 33 OI in liveable condition for around 10,000 or so. Worth it? NO!
Old 05-05-2012

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

Make sure the body is intact. Specially osmossmight be a problem, the other parts can easly be repaaired.
Old 05-05-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

This boat, in decent shape, and WITH a suit of sails is worth $15K-$20K.

1970 morgan (Sail) Boats For Sale

A suit of sails will run you $2-$5K

The interior cushions could run you $3K-$6K

Are the cabinets sound?

How does the rigging (running and standing) look?

How about the engine?

You make no mention of any equipment (GPS/VHF/etc.)

What do YOU plan to do with her - Sail, or use as a floating condo?

You already know that it floats (but not for long).

In your position, I would probably offer to take it away for free, and see what happens. Be prepared though, you may end up PAYING for disposal.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 05-05-2012

eherlihy,
I was using 20-25k as my baseline prices,
what is the general consensus on used sails? (my friend recommended, he said $200-300 for a used mainsail)
interior cushions: never would've guessed that much, good thing i asked.
cabinets seems to be okay... besides being partially under h2o, I stood on them to avoid the water,
standing rigging is good according to my hombre, looked to be of similar condition as his boat,
running rigging may be okay, did not notice,
engine is probably shot (right?)
I didn't notice and equipment, the compass is missing so probably everything else is too....
I want floating condo in the short run, and a boat to learn on longer term.
How much does disposal usually run, you know, just in case it comes to that.

Last edited by drseawell; 05-05-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-05-2012
Learning the HARD way...

If the compass was removed by the previous (late) owner, and it is in pristine condition in storage - that is a very good sign. If the compass is simply missing, that is a very bad sign. Ask the surviving spouse.

How big is your bank account? Don't tell me, but realize that a boat like this will surely make it smaller.

I have given you my assessment; I say it is worth ~$10K less, and the equipment that you need will likely cost 5X more than your amigo says... It's your money.

If the engine is sitting in water, it may, or may not, be toast. If the water is touching the oil pan, it should not be a deal killer. If the water is covering the starter, I would not give this boat a second look, and walk away.
Old 05-05-2012
Learning the HARD way...

Forgive me, I couldn't resist;

Bacon Sails in MD has 4 used Main sails for this boat. Prices range from $425 to $1500

The $425 one;
Quote:
MAIN 7.0 oz DACRON BY TRITON SAILS. GROMMETS ON COVERED ROPE LUFF. HARDWARE REMOVED. 1/2" ROUND NYLON SLUGS WEBBED TO GROMMETS ON COVERED ROPE FOOT. LEECH/FOOT LINES. CUNNINGHAM CRINGLE. REEFS UP 5' 6" & 10'. PEEL OFF NUMBERS, DRAFT STRIPES AND "PDQ 36" INSIGNIA. DUTCHMAN SYSTEM INSTALLED. TAKES FOUR FULL BATTENS - BATTENS & HARDWARE NOT INCLUDED. SEVERAL PEEL OFF PATCHES UP TO 2" DIAMETER. FEW SEWN ON PATCHES UP TO 3" x 35". MODERATE STAIN/SOIL. GOOD. BLUE BAG. 38 lbs.
The $1500 one;
Quote:
MAIN 7.9 oz DACRON BY NORTH. 3/4" FLAT NYLON SLIDES WEBBED ON COVERED ROPE LUFF. LOOSE FOOTED. LEECH/FOOT LINES. CUNNINGHAM CRINGLE. REEFS UP 5' 10" & 13' 3". PEEL OFF NUMBERS, DRAFT STRIPES & "TARTAN 31" INSIGNIA. TAKES TWO FULL & TWO STANDARD BATTENS - NOT INCLUDED. MINOR STORAGE STAIN/SOIL. NEW/USED
They also have 47 Jibs for this boat. Prices range from $95 to $1995

The $95 jib is described;
Quote:
CATALINA 30 TRI-RADIAL GENOA, 5 OZ. SOFT MYLAR, BY NORTH. 7/32" LUFF TAPE FOR SLOTTED STAY. LEACH AND FOOT LINES. TELLTALE WINDOW. PEEL-OFF DRAFT STRIPES AND NUMBERS. SPREADER REINFORCEMENT PATCH. LEACH TABLING NEEDS REPLACING. HEAVY RAIL MARKS. SOILED. STAINED. IN BLUE BAG. EXCEPT FOR LEACH, FAIR. AS IS.
The $1995 one is described as follows;
Quote:
MYLAR/KEVLAR 4.3 oz JIB BY MAINE SAILING. 3/16" LUFF TAPE FOR SLOT. LEECH AND FOOT LINES. 3 VERTICAL BATTENS - NOT INCLUDED. TELLTALE WINDOW, DRAFT STRIPES. NO BAG. NEW/UNUSED. ASKING..
To net it out, a suit of used sails could cost you anywhere from $550 to $3500

Last edited by eherlihy; 05-05-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: No one noticed that I posted the same Jib description for BOTH examples!
Old 05-05-2012

haha, maybe he meant very used mainsail.
you have provided some useful food for thought.
Thanks E

Last edited by drseawell; 05-05-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: i misspell at least one thing per post
Old 05-05-2012

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road
Re: advice on buying a boat that needs work

Quote:
Originally Posted by drseawell View Post
Hello knowledgeable forum!
This is a long story and I'm not sure where to start because I'm new to this forum and to sailing........... it's a foot deep in h2o. My friend, who has been a sailor for 20 years and a live aboard for 15+ years said, "knowing what I know now, if i was in your position, I would seriously buying this boat."................
Blunt, Do Not get this boat, go find a boat that is in liveable and ready to sail condition, i think your your Friend is letting you down, IMNSHO, walk away get a boat that just need to be cleaned and sailed, you will have so much more fun, and spend much less, you said your new to sailing and this forum, start reading, then keep on reading, you will learn a lot and in the end you too will see this is not the boat you need.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

"Ouch!
My eyes are bleeding."
Bob Perry

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 05-05-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

I would pass on it,been there done that,right now in todays market you can buy a pretty nice boat for about half what you will end up spending on this one not counting a lot of your own blood, sweat and tears,even a nice boat that has been mantained constantly needs work,money and attention,by the time you completely go thru the entire boat it will be time to start over,although boat values are taking a beating right now,parts ,supplies and boat yards get more expencive daily

Tags
fixer upper , morgan out island , should i buy , tlc boat , water damage