Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012

ArmandoandAnna is on a distinguished road
Buying a S2 9.2C

My wife and I have signed a contact on a 1986 S2 9.2C we are in South Florida and will be doing sea trials on this Saturday May 19 2012. I would really appreciate if there is anything the community can tell me of what to look for in this boat. We plan on using the S2 to live-aboard and cruise the Caribbean as far south as St Vincent Grenadines.

We have been reading about all of the wonderful adventures and mis adventures for the last 18 months and have decided to finally take the plunge. LOL We both come from the motor boat side so this will be a new adventure for us as we prepare for our adventure. The most important question Will this boat be suitable for the voyage. We have been to the boat a few times and are extremely happy with the layout and the size being that its our first sailboat.

Any feed back on our decision would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2012

wdwright1967 is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a S2 9.2C

GOOD OLD BOAT magazine had a write up on the boat you are looking to buy.
May/June 2011
Old 05-18-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Have the rudder checked. Friend has a 9.2A and the rudder had to completely rebuilt. The frame inside was mild steel (!) and had basically rusted away. A nice coastal cruiser, but not my choice for extended cruising as you propose.
Old 05-18-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

My wife and I plan on using the S2 to live-aboard and cruise the Caribbean as far south as St Vincent Grenadines. Will this boat be suitable for the voyage?

The simple answer is 'no' on all counts. I know these boats reasonably well, and in my opinion would say that I personally can't imagine too many worse choices for this. These were mediocre sailing boats, with poor motion comfort, not especially robust construction, poor sail handling gear, inappropriate rig proportions for short handed distance cruising, limited storage, and poor carrying capacity. In other words the opposite of what you are looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Tags
adventure , boat buying , s2 9.2c