Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012

Dread Pirate is on a distinguished road
Re: Thinking of buying a new boat

Sounds like you are jumping in with both feet and will soon be in over your head...same way I did about 7 years ago! Although some may call it crazy, I call it passion.

I committed to two years living onboard and I had never really sailed before (other than a 15' cat). The first boat i made an offer on was scrubbed by the survey. I lost a few hundred in the deal but learned...ALWAYS GET A SURVEY!

Bottomline: I love the life style and would not turn back. BTW the second boat and one I settled on was an O'Day 40 and I have been quite pleased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

No worries about buying a boat whose maker is out of business, really. If you are buying a boat made before say 1989, there's a good chance the maker is gone. Many, many went out of business in the late 80s. Luckily, most of the equipment on a boat is standard, made by third party companies. So it's more like buying a bike, where the frame is special and made by the company whose name is on the bike, but the brakes, sprockets, wheels etc. are made by a few companies who supply all bikes.

What you want to worry about with an older boat is how it has been maintained, who owned it, and what its history has been. These will be the main differentiators 20 years + down the road.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 05-21-2012

Romario is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
Just remember, "if it's going to happen, it's going to happen out there". I would at least hire a certified instructor for 3 or 4 lessons of 3 hours each on your boat. Really, if nothing else, it will save you the shame of learning to dock a 30 footer on your own.
That's what I want to do, hire someone to help or take someone knowledgeable.
Old 05-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
What you want to worry about with an older boat is how it has been maintained, who owned it, and what its history has been. These will be the main differentiators 20 years + down the road.
This one had only one owner and he is selling it now. It seems to be in decent shape and it looks like it was used by the owner regularly, I think that's a good sign. Otherwise waiting for the inspection on Tuesday.
Old 05-24-2012

So, the inspection didn't find anything majorly bad, I am a proud owner of O'Day 30

Looks like I would need flares since they are not there, also the depth meter doesn't work, so I would need a new one. There are other small things, the sail is old, but otherwise it's in ok condition.

The seller will paint and wax the boat, so I hope I would start sailing soon!
Old 05-29-2012

nwsaildude is on a distinguished road

You can double check the safety equipment list and request a free vessel exam by the CG Auxiliary or Power Squadron here: National Department of Vessel Safety Checks Free Safety Checks For Your Boat

They will make sure you have the proper State and Federal equipment. If your boat does not pass they just give you a list of what they found wrong (or missing) and you give them a call when things are fixed - it is not an enforcement so if your boat does not pass you can't get a ticket nor are an law enforcement types told about the inspection. A great way to have a second set of eyes look at your equipment. They should also give you some handouts on State and Federal booklets as well as answer general boating questions for you.

When I have friends that are new to sailing I get them the U.S. Sailing book "Basic Keelboat" great starting book.

Good luck & welcome to sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.