SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Thinking of buying a new boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/87581-thinking-buying-new-boat.html)

Romario 05-19-2012 03:18 PM

Thinking of buying a new boat

Me, my gf and another couple are thinking about buying a boat. That would be the first boat for all of us, so we don't have too much experience. We will be sharing, sometimes it will be us and them, sometimes just me & gf or other friends.
We are in New York, the boat will be on Long Island mainly and used for weekend trips. We were thinking about something around 30ft.

Here is one of the boats we looked at (O'Day 30, $12900):
http://sellyourboatnow.shutterfly.com/7077

Is it an ok boat to buy? I know O'Days are no longer made, would that be a problem? How is the price? How does it look from the pics? We would hire someone to inspect it, but I just want to know an opinion if it's worth hiring someone.

Also - what would the expenses be like? We want to find a marina somewhere at the end of Long Island, NY - Sag Harbor area or around there. But nothing fancy, minimal accommodations will do - as long as we have electricity and water. We were thinking that it would run us approximately 9k a year total (marina, insurance, repairs). Is this a fair assessment?

Another thing - we don't have too much experience sailing (I sailed 5 times or so, but not by myself), what would be the best way to start?

puddinlegs 05-19-2012 03:49 PM

Re: Thinking of buying a new boat

Take this summer and don't buy a boat. Buy lessons. Learn to sail, and while you do, you'll be looking for boats that interest you. Do some ASA keel boat stuff and sail small boats if at all possible... yes, the little ones that tip over. :) Shop in the fall and buy after the winter storage has been paid for. Machiavellian for sure, but you'll know more, get a better deal, and be able to sail your new boat in relative safety next summer.

Romario 05-19-2012 03:55 PM

well, let's assume we are buying the boat. We would spend on vacation approximately the same amount and willing to take the risk.

We could probably invite someone for the first several times to show us the ropes, take the lessons in the meantime.

puddinlegs 05-19-2012 04:18 PM

Then make an offer, get a survey, and if it's all good, buy the boat. Nothing wrong with O'day boats if it's been reasonably well maintained. Good luck and have fun! Easy as that. :)

Romario 05-19-2012 04:25 PM

Thanks!

We will probably get a survey. Is this ok price?

DRFerron 05-19-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romario (Post 873097)
Thanks!

We will probably get a survey. Is this ok price?

I agree with Puddin, but if you're hell bent on buying a boat with zero sailing experience, check craigslist and yachtworld.com for what similar-sized O'Days are selling for in your area.

Keep in mind that you just don't plunk a boat down in a marina and expect to be sailing every weekend. There's always some kind of routine maintenance, something to repair, etc. The suggestion to take lessons is not just to learn the mechanics of sailing but also the rules, regulations and responsibility that goes along with boat ownership. It's the boat stuff OTHER than the sailing that most don't want to deal with and, unless they have some forewarning, underestimate the amount of time and money involved.

Annual cost will depend on the age and condition of the boat, how diligent you are about keeping it seaworthy and in Bristol shape, and whatever the going rates for slips and insurance are in your location.

olson34 05-19-2012 07:29 PM

Seems I read somewhere that you will spend about 10% of the purchase price per year for maintenance, at least at first.
Anything you buy that's older than a decade will have "deferred maintenance" and the stuff that the prior owner did not do will usually be the higher-priced repairs or upgrades..............

Sailing is a whole lifestyle, and we have loved it and lived it for going on four decades. But like all "lifestyles" it has its costs as well as some wonderful benefits.

And DO pay attention to the advice to buy a smaller boat for the first year or two. Tens of thousands of owners and crew/families have started out on something like a Catalina 22. They often have local fleets to learn from and even become social with.

LB

ps: romario, please do fill in some of your blank bio. At least your location.

BCC1 05-19-2012 09:10 PM

I've no experience buying used boats, but i do know about getting into sailing with no experience.

Take a boating class, so you learn the 'rules of the road'.

Think about writing a brief document that explains how the boat buying partners would unwind.

I'd suggest buying the newest, best maintained 30'+ boat you can afford.

You've crewed. That's good. Buy a sailing book. Something like: Sailing for Dummies.

Hire a captain to accompany you from where it is, to where you'll keep it. Hopefully an overnight trip away. Get him to show you how to operate the boat's systems and offer sailing advice.

Regarding marinas....my advice is to find an inexpensive yacht club that has reciprocity with others. Picking up a mooring ball and visiting other clubs is tons of fun.

Sailing is fantastic on Long Island Sound. Have fun.

Romario 05-20-2012 10:32 AM

Well, the other guys had 2 day courses in sailing and have deckhand certificate :D

And we plan to hire or ask someone for help for the first several times we go out.

I tried to find a similar boat on craigslist and found the same one. The guy wanted 15.5k there, so I think 12.9 is ok price, we actually went down a bit and made an offer. So, pending inspection I'll be the boat owner pretty soon.

I'll check out the books on sailing - any other good ones other then sailing for dummies?

Ninefingers 05-20-2012 12:38 PM

Just remember, "if it's going to happen, it's going to happen out there". I would at least hire a certified instructor for 3 or 4 lessons of 3 hours each on your boat. Really, if nothing else, it will save you the shame of learning to dock a 30 footer on your own.