SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Sabre 30 vs Sabre 32 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/87652-sabre-30-vs-sabre-32-a.html)

tpm1950 05-21-2012 09:44 PM

Sabre 30 vs Sabre 32

I can find reviews on the Sabre 30, but none on the Sabre 32. Numbers look similar between these two models, but can't find info on why Sabre stopped the 32 after 4 years of production and switched over to the S-30.

Would they both be similar sailing on Lake Erie? Could they both do about the same in the steep chop and light air days? I'd like to get one of these this year for a first boat.

norsearayder 05-22-2012 06:44 AM

Re: Sabre 30 vs Sabre 32

get the 32 much more boat than the 30,much faster and better in the chop

misfits 05-22-2012 07:08 AM

Good Old Boat had a review on a Sabre 32 a few issues back.
You might also want to check in with the Yahoo Sabre Group, good group with lots of good info/support.

jameso 05-23-2012 09:05 AM

was an interesting question, as to why they would stop the build after only four years. One reason may have been simply the market, as the 32's I looked at showed a 9 ft beam and the 30 shows 10 ft 6 in. The 32 just wouldn't show as well at the boat shows I would reason. Just my two cents, 32 is a beautiful boat and has a longer length in the water so.....

tpm1950 05-24-2012 09:41 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I'll be traveling this weekend to look at Sabre 30s and a 32. I read the Good Old Boat review on the 32, but that's the only review I can find on that model. I'll check out the Sabre user group when I get back.

I guess it makes sense for manufacturers to follow the trend to wider boats, as long as they design the new wider hulls to sail as well as as the older narrower models. One dealer said he thought the 32 would be better in heavy air, and the 30 better in light air. This will be my first boat, sure will be glad when the deciding part is over and the sailing starts.

Sanduskysailor 05-25-2012 10:07 AM

Where the heck do you guys get your information?? The Sabre 30-1,2,3 have a beam of 10.5. The 32 has a beam of 10.5, the 28 had the beam of 9.17. Please don't make uninformed conclusions from bad information. As a former 28 owner I'm petty familiar with these boats. The 32 had an aft cabin model which was kind of neat and very suitable for Lake Erie where I sail. There are differences between the -1,2,3 models of the 30. My preference would be the 30-3 which has a double spreader rig. My bias is more towards racing. As a cruiser the 32 would be the choice.

The reason the 32 was discontinued was the introduction of the 34-2 which was a lot more boat for the money at the time. In 86 Sabre had the 30-3, 32, 34-2, 36, 38. In 88 they had the 30-3, 34-2, 38-2. Obvious line reduction due to luxury tax influenced retraction in the sailboat market.

jameso 05-25-2012 01:32 PM

I got my information from yachtworld, and those were the listed beam and LWL. After reading your post I sent a personal meassage to the OP with how I determined my information, thank you SanduskySailor for pointing out any error that I have made ~~ james smith

tpm1950 05-27-2012 01:37 PM

Thanks Sandusky sailor. Glad to hear you think the Sabre 32 is a good design for cruising Lake Erie. I was looking at a Catalina 30 for sale in Sandusky Harbor Marina last week. Hope to be sailing toward your end of the lake in a year or two.

I saw a Sabre 32 I liked that might be worth an offer to get a surveyor's opinion. I'm hoping the 500 mile truck ride to bring it home, won't stress the hull and keel too much.

Here's an example of what you said about uninformed conclusions based on bad information. Owners manual says "balsa core panels are used to strengthen flat sections of the topsides in the forward section of hull." But I see a lot of reference online to the Sabre 32 being a balsa cored hull. Only worry now is that a surveyor might miss a big problem that could become an expensive surprise. If that doesn't happen I'll be hoping to get another 5-10 years out of this old boat.

Sabreman 05-27-2012 02:20 PM

You can't go wrong with either boat. Go with the one that's in best condition and makes your heart thump. You'll know it when you see it. The rest is details. Do not factor all the miscellaneous gear in your decision, most of it will probably need replacing anyway. Check out the mast step, there may be de-lamination of the cabin sole due to water intrusion and poor mast drainage into the bilge. It was common for Sabres of this vintage but not a structural defect. But the floor may need repair or replacing (as was ours).

Don't worry about the balsa unless there was an obvious injury to the hull (can be seen from the interior). Note that the 32 was cored on the topsides, and not below the waterline. Don't sweat it. I've owned a 28 ('82) and now a 38 ('84), and didn't think twice about the coring.

PM me if you want more details about Sabres of this vintage. Wonderful boats.