Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
Re: C&C 30 vs 32,33, or 34

I own a 1981 C&C 32 that was well taken care of by it's previous and original owner.
The thing I like the best about my boat is it has a solid fiberglass hull, no balsa core. The deck is cored but the hull is not.
The line up of boats you are interested in have varying methods of construction that need to be appreciated. Most, if not all have a cored deck, some have 100% cored hull while others are only cored above the waterline.
If the hull or deck on these cored boats has been compromised, then that will need to be addressed, or just walk away.
My C&C has an unusual and drastically raked keel. The trailing edge is swept back almost three feet from top to bottom and it draws 6'8". My rudder is over 4' long. I have yet to find another 32' with this keel/rudder set up.
Personally my favorite C&C's are the 37+40 and the Redline 40. But they may be a little out of your price range.
Good luck shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

As fiberglass1 stated, draft varies on these models. Others made some excellent points as well.

I've been doing some serious boat shopping over the last 7 months, looked at lots of racer/cruisers under 50K.

First thing that should be decided is if draft is a factor. They may have produced shoal or c/b models, but, how prevalent are they in the market?

At first I was a little scared of boats cored below the waterline. Talks with good surveyors got me down off that ledge as long as you don't gamble by not getting a full survey or buying a boat of unknown quality of production.

I owned a 30 MKI for a decade. It's very roomy for a boat of that size and vintage. For less than 25K you can find one in really good shape.

I'm in a purchase agreement for a 30 MKII, it's also very roomy for it's vintage. Decent head room and an "aft cabin". I feel that I've gone up a size but it will be just as easy to handle and my yard rates will be the same. I looked at almost every one for sale in the USA, I'll post more on that after I close.

The sticker shock I found was boat transport (don't forget the yard fees on either end). Holy crap! For a 30 ft boat it can easily run up to 3K+ for a 6 hour drive. I might end up sailing mine simply because I'm running out of boat bucks
Old 05-26-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Are they under 50k these days?
Thanks to the recession, yes.

Although, like any boat that is fully upgraded and maintained, the price could be higher...

Speaking of classic C&C's.... I hope the OP looks at a clean C&C 34. They are a way cool boat and a Modern Classic.

LB
Old 05-27-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We have a 35 MKIII k/c. As Jaronson said sails circles around most boats. Has plenty of rom and comforts. Good build quality as well as equipment. A good racer cruiser with no shortage on cruising. Once you learn when to shorten her sails she isn't as tender. I would move up a few extra feet and get the 35

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-10-2012

fishpants is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the responses, folks- You've given me a lot to consider. Happy Sailing!
Old 06-20-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpants View Post
Thanks for all the responses, folks- You've given me a lot to consider. Happy Sailing!
Presuming that you might still be in shopping mode.....
I just found last week out about an O-34 coming onto the market - private seller - in SF.
Link: O-34, in SF, coming onto the market

Sidebar: you need to complete more of your empty bio here so at least we can know approx. where you sail.

Regards,
LB
Old 06-22-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We have a 35 MKIII k/c. As Jaronson said sails circles around most boats. Has plenty of rom and comforts. Good build quality as well as equipment. A good racer cruiser with no shortage on cruising. Once you learn when to shorten her sails she isn't as tender. I would move up a few extra feet and get the 35

Dave
As the former owner of a 36 (which is similar to the 34) I would agree that the 35 may be the best in this size range. And they seem to do very well in PHRF racing.
Old 06-22-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

Gotta C&Ct corvette 31' ,,not many creature comforts but sail like a dream. Built solid, not like many production boats of the new era...Happy shoping
Old 06-26-2012

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

I second the 33-2. Of the four you originaly mentioned it has the best combibnation of performance and room and is under 50000. The 30-1 is probably the best bargain. It is one of the best boats C&C ever made

Mike

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.