Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012

Nindark is on a distinguished road
Re: First boat now.... or later?

Lots of new ideas in my head! At least until the year, I think I am going to go the fractional membership route and look at doing charters to try out different boats. I will also look to see if I can crew on different boats as the opportunities pop up.

I will be keeping an eye out for a great deal and be ready to jump on it. The benefit of waiting until next year will give me more time to build up my “boat/boat maintenance fund”. Right now I could afford to buy a “cheap” Hunter 34 and then repairs/upgrades would have to be done on a month to month basis as funds would allow. Waiting until next year I will have enough cash set aside to do repairs/upgrades as needed or wanted.

As much as I would love to go buy something now, I think the smarter thing to do for now is to wait. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

James aka Nindark
DRFerron likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: First boat now.... or later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindark View Post
Hello everyone,

Starting the ASA101 class next week and was starting to think of my next step after the class. My immediate options are to either find a reasonable/cheap 22’-28’ to start off or go with a “fractional ownership”. The fractional ownership is $1500 a season (Apr-Nov) and allows me to take a 22” Catalina out 7 times a month.

The fractional membership seems to be the cheapest way to go but I think I would rather buy something. I really want to learn how to take care of a boat and the fractional membership would be no different than renting a boat for the day.

I am pretty sure I want to eventually get a mid 80’s Hunter 34 or Catalina 36 so that would be my next step in about 2 years. I was thinking of making the leap and just getting the Hunter 34 now but I am trying to talk myself down.

It just seems like a waste to put money into something you know you don’t want. Any thoughts or lessons learned from past experiences? Thanks in advance!

James
If you just want to sail either have a lot of money or don't but a boat. If you want the maintenance (I did), then buy the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook