Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012

eddiebe is on a distinguished road
Hermann 19

Hey everyone, I just picked up a free, (except for the work it takes to rebuild), Hermann 19. The full name of the builder is Ted Hermann's Boat Shop.
The boat is in pretty rough shape and there is absolutely no info about it anywhere on the web. I was hoping someone might know more about it and maybe have some pictures that might help in putting it all back together.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Hermann 19

Here is a link of one for sale: 1961 Hermann Hermann 22 Cruiser sailboat for sale in New Hampshire
So we know it is likely a 50 year old boat with a fiberglass hull that was likely pretty thickly built.
It looks to be sloop rigged so the rigging can't be that difficult to figure out unless it is gaff rigged. Even then it should not be that difficult.
Cute boat by the way. I like the round port lights.

Here is a picture of a Herman 19 with the standing rigging set up: http://www.mostsailboats.org/1964-hermann-19/

I take it that you 'bought' the free Herman 19 in CT?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 05-28-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2012

Thanks CalebD,
I did find those two links but was hoping to find some pictures of the cockpit and cabin as all the wood is completely rotted away and it is hard to tell what it should look like. It looks like some things were bolted onto the cockpit sole but all that is left is the screw holes. So if anyone has any pictures it would really help.
And yes I did indeed take it home.
About 12 years ago I took home a Bristol 22 in about the same shape for not much more ($500). I used that boat for 8 years until a November squall knocked it and 5 other boats off their moorings and smashed it up pretty badly on the rocks.
Old 05-29-2012
Tartan 27' owner

Eddiebe,

There is certainly very little info on the Hermann 19' out there on the web. All I could find was an H-15 with pictures of the cockpit: http://www.sailingtexas.com/shermanh15a.html
Apparently the Hermann boats were made in Seaford, LI, NY back in the day.
Hopefully someone who has owned the H-19 can post a few pictures of the cockpit and cabin for you.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2012

Hey CalebD,
Looks like you found all the same info I did. Guess I'll just have to wing it from whats left.
I did miss that link on sailingtexas though. I did find a link to a post on SailboatOwners.com who's profile said his previous boat was a Hermann 19. I joined the site and sent him message. Guess I'll have to try not be impatient and wait to hear back from him. Thanks again
Old 05-29-2012
Tartan 27' owner

Eddiebe,
On SBO.com (sailboatowners.com) you can send a person an email as well as a PM (private message) if they allowed that option in their profile. You might get a faster response with an email then the PM as with a PM they have to check in at SBO to get it. Likely they check their email more often but who knows.
Yes, patience is required with all things boaty.
Hope you get some info soon.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-14-2012

Matty F. is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have 3 Hermann sailboats, a 14foot whaleboat, an H20, the 22 foot, and a H19. The nineteen came with, or without a skeg. I've heard it is like half with, half without. The cabin has a V berth, that stops about a foot short on the port side, to allow for a head. The bunks are about 15 inches tall, and are made of plywood. The soul is plywood also, with small cutouts near the centerboard trunk, to allow for pumping out rain water. The cocpit has three benches, made of 1x4 mahogany strips. Port, starboard, and across the hatch opening. By the way, this is really a fun boat. It is quick, points and tacks very well, and is pretty fast too. Mine is the skeg model. Hope this helps, and don't hesitate if you need help. This boat is built very well. Plywood, not balsa, for the deck cores, and the hand layup for the hull is damn near bullet-proof.
Old 03-05-2013

Hey Matty, Thanks for writing back on my post.
I don't know how I missed the message that you responded.
I was hoping you may have some pictures of your Hermann 19's cabin and cockpit. Mine was sitting in a back yard for 12 years and everything is rotted away. Can't wait till the weather warms up to get started.
Thanks in advance