SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Looking for a Catalina 270 detailed review (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/88278-looking-catalina-270-detailed-review.html)

mmazour 06-05-2012 05:18 PM

Looking for a Catalina 270 detailed review

I am in the market for a 1990 or newer Catalina 270 or 28. I have found a very nice detailed review of the 28 on SailingMagazine.net Catalina 28 I also found the one for the Catalina 27 but not the 270. Anybody seen one or willing to write one up?

I have been in a 270 on hard about 3 years ago and thought it felt nice and spacious but all the cushions were at the owners house so I was unable to really get a feeling for the comfort. Is the v-berth functional for a 6'00" tall guy with a 5'4" wife. What about the aft cabin?

In talking with a couple brokers the general opinion is that the 270 feels a bit livelier sailing.

Any thoughts or opinions?

chuck53 06-05-2012 08:03 PM

Re: Looking for a Catalina 270 detailed review

Take a look at C-30's as well. You will be surprised how much extra room that 3' will give you.
When looking for our first boat, my wife and I decided (after looking at a number of boat brands) that a C-27 would be our best bet. We looked at a number of them, none of which really grabbed us. One day we just happened on a 30, fell in love with it and bought it the next day.

mmazour 06-06-2012 01:08 PM

I would but cost is the issue there. I am trying to get in under $25,000. My requirements are 1990 or newer with an open/sugarscoop transom and a minimum of 27. The 30 did not open up until 1994 with the MKIII and they seem to be running $40,000 plus.

mmazour 06-06-2012 04:00 PM

Does anyone on this forum even own a 270?

Jetexas 06-06-2012 04:26 PM

There's a ton of Catalina 27s and Catalina 30s in my area, but I've never seen a 270 or a 28 in person. I guess they either didn't sell well or they're still too new to have filtered down to the kind of riff-raff with which I associate.

I've looked at 270s online, though, and I like the cabin layout and sugar scoop -- also the chairs up on the stern rails.

capttb 06-06-2012 07:53 PM

I had a 94 270, faster than a 28 but no refrig & forepeak small for sleeping. Will point higher due to inboard shrouds but this makes for some acute sheet angles to the cabintop winches.

mmazour 06-06-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetexas (Post 881494)
There's a ton of Catalina 27s and Catalina 30s in my area, but I've never seen a 270 or a 28 in person. I guess they either didn't sell well or they're still too new to have filtered down to the kind of riff-raff with which I associate.

Riff raff that is what cracks me up about this site, diversity or rather the chasm between...all nice folk though don't get me wrong.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetexas (Post 881494)
I've looked at 270s online, though, and I like the cabin layout and sugar scoop -- also the chairs up on the stern rails.

That is the big appeal for my wife and I.

The dream score for us, we think, is a 270 with a trailer. I could launch it myself, pay the marina to pull it in the fall and then I could tow a short distance to a more economical winter storage. Spacious enough for the two of us for weekends at the marina. The base requirements of actual head, diesel, pedestal, easy access in/out of the water (sugar scoop). We like to play in the water with the grandkids, as well as by ourselves and fancy the idea of sitting on the transom sipping on wine while dipping our toes and taking in the sunset.

capttb- would adding jib sheet winches closer to the helm be a good idea? Do you have any other thoughts or comments about the 270? We will be at a marina on a midwest Missouri river reservoir with nice accomodations; showers, grill/pub, package store...so lack of a fridge is not a big deal. The idea is basically a small sleeping cabin on the lake that we get to sail.

Kalina-Lona 06-07-2012 03:37 AM

Being a newbie here and still trying to figure out what boat to purchase this site offers a wide variety of opinons. Purchase price is the real decider? We looked at a Catalina 27 (1974) around 5k in good condition but the age scared us. Then we started looking a Albin Vega 27 (1969) 12.5k and were told that the age wasn't a problem because they are one of the best boats out there.
Go figure....man it's a tough decision!

dacap06 06-07-2012 08:08 AM

About the only thing I can find is this review. I'm unsure how far I would trust a review on a site that's built to talk about that very boat, but something is better than nothing!

While you are deciding, don't throw out an alternative due to asking price. The NADA used boat pricing guide can give you a ballpark for what a reasonable asking price should be, but that isn't the price dealers will list. According to NADA a 1995 Catalina 270 without spinnaker but with the usual equipment should have an average retail price around $22K while a 1995 30MkIII should have an average retail listing of $32K. In this market you should be able to get well below these numbers in negotiations, especially if you are dealing with an owner rather than a broker.

One final bit of advice ... there is no substitute for personal experience. Find a possibility and at least take a test sail. Better yet, try it out overnight if they'll let you. And never buy without a survey -- you'll get a much better idea of the condition and it can give you leverage to lower the price when they find something that needs fixing.

Regards,

Tom

mmazour 06-07-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacap06 (Post 881731)

While you are deciding, don't throw out an alternative due to asking price. The NADA used boat pricing guide can give you a ballpark for what a reasonable asking price should be, but that isn't the price dealers will list. According to NADA a 1995 Catalina 270 without spinnaker but with the usual equipment should have an average retail price around $22K while a 1995 30MkIII should have an average retail listing of $32K. In this market you should be able to get well below these numbers in negotiations, especially if you are dealing with an owner rather than a broker.

That brings up anther question...somewhere I believe on this site I read where someone was suggesting that if you are not embarrassed by your offer (somewhere just south of half the asking price) it is not low enough. Would anybody else agree with that?