SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Any advice on this boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/88287-any-advice-boat.html)

vestdw 06-05-2012 10:02 PM

Any advice on this boat?

I have a small amount of sailing experience and I am trying to find a sailboat to start sailing with my father in hopes to eventually sail down to the Bahamas when I get out of the Navy. I really like Cheoy Lee sailboats, any advice on this boat (copied straight off of craigslist):

Cheoy Lee 28' Luders Offshore sailboat - $2500 (Mobile)
1973 Classic
Good Condition
Teak Deck
Spruce Mast and Boom
Main sail, jib and genoa
diesel - universal placed in 2004 with antifreeze and heat exchanger
(Raw water cooled volvo replaced)
New thru hulls and bottom paint in 2010
Out-of-production
28-foot monohull
new cushions
Designed by Bill Luders

We have a good selection of tools to refinish the teak and make minor repairs as needed to get the boat inhabitable as long as the boat is structurally sound. Please let me know what you think.

Capt.aaron 06-05-2012 10:15 PM

Re: Any advice on this boat?

Nice boat. Spruce mast is probably a solid piece ( which is good) and may be original so there is a small chance it's o.k. If it's a box type it's probably shot. Sounds like a good engine. I think your goal is to get the boat habitable . Restoring a teak deck is a good father son project. Good year for a boat. I'd say get it and fix it up. Definetly a project but a worthy one. I've alway's liked Cheoy Lee's.

eherlihy 06-05-2012 11:01 PM

Probably not what you want to read...

Quote:

Originally Posted by vestdw (Post 881165)
Cheoy Lee 28' Luders Offshore sailboat - $2500 (Mobile)

Nice boat!
Quote:

1973 Classic
Classic = OLD
Quote:

Good Condition
= Needs work
Quote:

Teak Deck
Uh-oh!
Quote:

Spruce Mast and Boom
Uh-Oh!!
Quote:

Main sail, jib and genoa
diesel - universal placed in 2004 with antifreeze and heat exchanger
(Raw water cooled volvo replaced)
New thru hulls and bottom paint in 2010
Out-of-production
Good luck finding the many parts that it will need.
Quote:

28-foot monohull
This is redundant
Quote:

new cushions
Designed by Bill Luders
... Please let me know what you think.
Based on what I read, I would guess that the boat needs a lot of work. The teak deck, and spruce spar are more than likely a mess.

I would look at the boat, and be prepared to spend another $10-15K put into it if the deck and spar are in good shape.

If the spars, deck, and the other stuff that the current owner is not telling you about are in bad shape, you would probably need to spend over $25K, and a lot of time getting her back into habitable shape.

IMHO a 28' boat is kind of small for two people to live aboard. I might be able to do it for a while with my wife or GF (not both);), but definitely not with my father. Of course, YMMV.

FSMike 06-06-2012 12:21 PM

If the teak deck is over a plywood sub-deck, you may have to rip the whole thing off. If it's over fiberglass it probably won't be too bad, you could either fix the teak and whatever fasteners leak, or rip off the teak and just use the (refurbished) fiberglass.

"just". lol

dmcMaine 06-07-2012 11:54 AM

I have a spot in my heart for Cheoy Lee, they are very pretty boats.

That said.

Be prepared for a huge project. At that price, I'm going to bet that the teak deck isn't in the best of shape. If memory serves, most CL decks are a thin teak over fiberglass, and joined with screws. If they aren't kept in top shape, bungs start popping out, screw heads get exposed, and water gets into the fiberglass' core. If that deck looks at all neglected, you could be faced with a complete recore, and either sticking with fiberglass or insalling a new teak deck.
If you haven't found it yet, there is a Cheoy Lee association website with some general information: Restoration Index for Cheoy Lees