Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012

mattsmash is on a distinguished road
first time river cruiser

hi,
I'm looking to get into sailing. I have a kayak and its a lot of fun but I want a larger boat and I did some research by reading a book or two. after reading the books i decided i'd rather own a sailboat than a power boat. i have always been interested in sailing i just never had time to try. besides there aren't many people where i live that go sailing. there are some size-able boats in the local marina(around 30 feet) but i don't know who owns them or if they would like to give lessons. I want a boat between 18 and 23 feet that is easily trailerable and has a shallow draft for pulling onto sand bars and getting into some lakes from the river. Also it needs to be easy to launch from a ramp and i'd prefer it to have simple rigging. Another thing is, it most have a cabin so i can hide from the hot Alabama sun at lunch time.
-
One boat i am considering and i'd like some advice on is a catalina 22(i think its an 82'). Its 5 hours away and is 3,950 and that includes the trailer,motor,depth sounder and extra sails plus the shark mouth paint job .
-
I plan to sail it on the Tombigbee and Black Warrior rivers. In fact, i live about 10 miles from where they meet. One concern i have is that there is regular barge traffic up and down both rivers, is it really a problem?
-
also i plan on using an 08 Toyota FJ cruiser to tow the boat and no it doesn't have the factory towing package but it has since had a hitch mounted and a 4-flat receiver installed for the lights.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: first time river cruiser

The C22 is a very popular boat with many thousands built and should serve you well.
Check out the Catalina owners web site and there's probably a C22 owners website as well. the C34 owners website has been a great help to me with my 34.