SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   First Boat, Am I getting a good deal? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/88387-first-boat-am-i-getting-good-deal.html)

Everett_Tyler 06-08-2012 09:24 PM

First Boat, Am I getting a good deal?

Hey- brand new to this community. Thank you to anyone who gives me advice.

So- I have minimal sailing experience. I have friends who have boats, and I kite board, but I grew up with parents who had a big Carver aft cabin.

Here is what I do know-I have about a dozen friends with boats, many who live aboard. I work at a bar right by the marina, and get to talk to a lot of people about boats. I have been looking at boats for 2 summers, but have not nutted up and bought anything.

Here is my objective- Get a boat that sails great and that I can live on, cheaply(ish), live minimally, save money, finish college, sail down the coast with wife, sell boat, get a bigger boat, live on bigger boat with wife, maybe someday buy a house.

I have looked at a ton of boats, the closest thing I got to buying was a cal 2-30, this gives you an idea of what I am looking for. 27-30, cheap to moor, easy first boat. I walk the docks almost every weekend, I found a cal 2-29 that I was going to offer (probably could have got for 7000) and then I found this.

1981 Cascade 27( Never thought I would get a 27, or a cascade)
Owned by a wealthy couple in their 60's who outfitted her really well
Here is what she has- in no order.
New diesel in 2003 w/600 hrs.
self tailing winches
really heavy duty inverter/shore power set up with 110 throughout
propane heater and range
built in microwave
Nice red cushions
Lowrance chart plotter/gps that interfaces with autopilot.
Tiller helm
Newer self furling front
manual head with holding tank
pressure water
rigging done by local rigging legend.
2 jibs 2 mains and spin w/ pole
inflatable dinghy with 2hp yamaha
life sling
harnesses that have the rip chord inflatable in them
tons of tools ect
newer instruments in cockpit
tensile anchor
tons of PFD
boom tent
dock pole
100' shore power chord
tons of charts/books
a totally awesome slip right outside of anthony's
bottom paint last year
survey in 2008 with value at 21,500
Flat screen TV
Speakers throughout
Denon CD player built in
fold down table
tons of exta things like fenders/dock line/flares/cleaners/paints/ect

I think that is most of it. Oh, and hull/deck is free of booboos and the paint looks great. Her name is Prelude (whatever)

It might be a twist of fate that is has not sold, the story is, the guy and his wife bought it when they were 60, outfitted it really well, sailed it up to Alaska and back and have taken it around Vancouver island a few times. The husband got really sick, and passed away this spring. The guy helping to sell it is Bob Doyle (who is like a legendary rigger in Everett). Bob and I got to know each other a little bit because he comes into the bar I work at. Bob told me about this boat, but I kind of blew him off, because it was a cascade 27 and I wanted a cal 29/30. Finally I went to look at it and took my dad. It turns out, the man who owned it, was friends with my dad, and my dad had actually been on the boat on sailing trips, and my dad confirms that the man who owned it, was a meticulous, well off dude. So I put in an offer of 10k and it was accepted. It is contingent on a sea trial and survey, but I could own this boat by end of next week.

What do you guys think? Is this a good deal? The Cascade is a little small to live on, but it's outfitted so well, it's comfortable. Plus the 27 is cheap to moor. I am not that familiar with Cascades, I know they were sometimes a kit boat, but this seems like a solid little boat that has done some decent coastal sailing.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I am hoping to hear things like.

"Holy crap, that is the best deal ever."

Blessings,
Tyler

zeta 06-08-2012 10:44 PM

Re: First Boat, Am I getting a good deal?

Welcome Tyler,
Are you comfortable with 10K, if so it is a good deal. A boat meticulously maintained is hard to find for 10K; however, many 27 ft'ers sell for less. If it doesn't suit you you can sell it, even if you lose a few thou.
Might want to download a copy of "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat"

itsaboat 06-08-2012 11:29 PM

First Boat, Am I getting a good deal?

It sounds like a great boat. It's hard to say what a boat is worth. It comes down to what it's worth to you. I spent about 3/4 of that price for a fairly barebones Pearson 27 last winter, but she was well caref for and I spent a bunch more having her moved to my marina and adding the things i wanted to her.

I think it is really about how you feel walking down the dock and seeing your boat and the potential great times that you will have on her. It sounds like your boat is ready. If she makes your heart beat a little faster, she's worth it

Sabreman 06-08-2012 11:50 PM

If you found a great boat that is known by your dad, then the extra $3k is cheap money if it's in better shape than the Cal. You will find very quickly that $3k can be spent in a heartbeat so if you don't have to put that into the Cal, then that means more time to enjoy it.

If the boat passes survey, pay your money and never look back.

sailguy40 06-09-2012 01:34 AM

Chances are if it surveyed for 21,500 four years ago, unless it was seriously neglected it should still be worth close to the same. Sounds like a good deal from what your wrote. Might want to at least check NADA value and if you are still unsure get another survey.

overbored 06-09-2012 03:34 AM

its a sailboat, it has a 100' power cord, a microwave. flat screen TV, the wife likes to sail on it and spend saturday night. if all you have to add is a place to keep the cold beer? it is definitely worth 10K

RobGallagher 06-09-2012 08:27 AM

It's impossible for any of us to decide if it's a good deal.

That being said, I rarely pay asking price, and I believe that most sellers don't expect to get the listed price.

Here would be my plan;
If you plan to have a survey done.
1. Choose a surveyor and set a tentative date to survey the boat.
2. Show up with as much cash as your willing to spend on the boat.
3. Ask them what their bottom line is.
4. Make them an offer, show them the cash, give them a deposit pending survey, call the surveyor and get the ball rolling.

sevseasail 06-09-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabreman (Post 882498)
If you found a great boat that is known by your dad, then the extra $3k is cheap money if it's in better shape than the Cal. You will find very quickly that $3k can be spent in a heartbeat so if you don't have to put that into the Cal, then that means more time to enjoy it.

If the boat passes survey, pay your money and never look back.

+1 on that....

Cruiser2B 06-09-2012 11:21 AM

I think 10K is a good deal if the boat is sailable, sails are usable, and has what you've listed and you like the boat. None of have seen the boat so only you can be the one to decide....and its your money!

FWIW, Cascades are nice solid boats, many were sold as kits so overall quality can vary, but the hulls structure is sure to be sound. I read somewhere that cascade sold a "bulletproof" hull.

This cascade sounds like a proven cruiser as the current owner has taken a few lengthy trips. If the boat seems right and you are comfortable, then go for it.

hellosailor 06-09-2012 01:20 PM

Highly loaded, good condition, meticulous past owner...2008 was before the economy tanked in the US so 2008 prices mean nothing today. But at 10k I'd bet everyone is happy and if the survey is clean, it certainly can't be too far out of line. Assuming the sails, rigging, engine are all serviceable.