SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Please help me compare these cruising boats. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/88452-please-help-me-compare-these-cruising-boats.html)

sailnoob 06-10-2012 06:02 PM

Please help me compare these cruising boats.

Hello,

I'm beginning to look into purchasing a sailboat for cruising. I am in the SF Bay Area, so that is where most of the cruising will be done for now. I am in no rush to buy before I've done my homework, nor am I in a rush to get out into the blue water before I've done my homework, but that is an eventual goal. The most likely uses for this boat will be weekending and potential liveaboard for some time. I'm not really interested in racing, but nevertheless assuming a list of cruisers deemed seakindly, I'd give up a few creature comforts or features for a bit more responsiveness and performance. I'm looking at mainly older models, between 30 and 38 feet, since that's what I can swing right now. I will get a professional survey before purchasing, etc. Please assume that the condition of the boats below are all sufficient when making your assessments.

All of that said, here's my working list, based on a list some of you may have seen, and I'd appreciate input from anyone with experience with these boats. Mainly I'm looking for strong opinions. Any that you love? Any that you'd never sail/own again? Thanks.

Allied, Princess 36,
Bristol, 35.5 (centerboard or not)
C&C, Landfall 35
Cape Dory, 33
CSY, 37
Endeavour, 37 (I've heard some gripes about this one on the forums)
Morgan, 382,383,384
Pacific Seacraft, 31 (A bit pricey for similar specs as the others)
S2, 11.0
Valiant, 32

jsaronson 06-11-2012 09:41 PM

Please help me compare these cruising boats.

The Cape Dory will be on the slow end of the spectrum. I have a C&C that is not a Landfall. The Landfall should sail well, as will the Bristol.
Good luck!

TQA 06-11-2012 10:34 PM

Re: Please help me compare these cruising boats.

A CSY 37 owners model was on my list of possibles. Very tough, 150 galls water, roomy and a cutter.

wayina 06-11-2012 10:39 PM

As would an Islander 36, designed for the area I believe, I have one and think they are fantastic, comfortable and fairly quick, they have an association in the SF area, and regattas as well
regards Wayne

kbyte 06-11-2012 11:57 PM

I would add Cal to the list. There should be some good Cal 40's or 39's out there.

chef2sail 06-13-2012 03:32 AM

I prefer the C&C35 MKIII obviously over the Landfall. Greater headroom and the 35 MKIII is a much better and faster sailing boat.

Check the CS and also the Cals

Dave

MarkSF 06-13-2012 03:46 PM

The Bristol 35.5 sails very nicely and construction is bombproof. Your main problem is likely to be finding one for sail on the west coast.

There is a 31.1 for sale in Redwood City on Yachtworld. I know nothing about it's condition (except that it doesn't look that great in the pics) It might also be a bit small looking at what else is on your list.

This site is quite useful for comparing numbers :

Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats

The 35.5 (the 31.1 too) has a combination of motion comfort and decent speed that is hard to match and makes for a nice SF Bay boat.

Generally my suggestion would be to make a shortlist of models, then search for the best example.

Faster 06-13-2012 04:12 PM

Though I kind of like the look of the C&C Landfall 35/38, I think that you'll have better availability and space with a 35 mkIII as chef suggests. Also quite a bit less woodwork for upkeep. The 38s layout is a bit unconventional, something that has to 'work' for you.

Also second the suggestion to add the CS 36T to the list.. great rep, robust boat and good following, many have done serious miles offshore and can hold their own on the coastal scene and then some. Not a fan, however, of the near vertical companionway steps...

I also like the Brewer Morgans, most of the rest are going to be heading for the heavy, fuller keel slower category.. but maybe fine in the bay where light winds won't be your biggest concern.

puddinlegs 06-13-2012 04:46 PM

Budget? There's going to be some pretty large price variations in the boats you mentioned.

sailnoob 06-15-2012 03:08 AM

Good question puddinlegs, I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 20-40k, which is why I was going for well-made boats from the late 70's or early 80's, and then plan to have a thorough survey performed. The pacific seacrafts are going to be outside that range, I know, even for a late 70's model.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!