Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012

TomatoDave is on a distinguished road
Inspecting Pearson 26 in water: rudder and keel

I'm looking at a P26 OD in the water and pulling it would be difficult and expensive, if even possible, where I live. Two questions on the 2 biggest problem areas on this model.

1. A previous owner converted it from tiller to wheel. I've read of the potential problems with rudder bearings but am not sure how to test wheel steering for this problem, since my previous boat was tiller. How could you feel any play in rudder since wheel does not provide same feedback as tiller? Here is schematic of how it's installed:
http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/w...pdfs/S-330.pdf
(If I buy, I will try to convert back to tiller.)

2. Other than inspecting the bolts, is there any inspection or test for the cast iron keel while its in the water?

(I'm familiar with and have read Dan Pfeiffer's website so no need to point me there). Many thanks for any input.

TD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Inspecting Pearson 26 in water: rudder and keel

don't buy it if you can't pull it. I has to be inspected! Too many other boats out there for cheap. P26 is a great boat but you still need to see the condition below the water line! Rudder bearing are not that big a deal either.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2012

TomatoDave is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply. I know that's the prudent course. I was wondering if I could check the rudder play by locking the wheel and diving under to see if I can feel any play, but not sure if you could tell due to resistance of water. I may be able to rent a trailer to haul it out.

Boat has wooden spreaders that need to be replaced as well, which would require dropping the mast.

What makes it so darn tempting is owner wants to get rid of it (bought for his son who lost interest) and is almost giving it away.
Old 06-13-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Get an estimate for the cost of hauling the boat out & a survey if you chose to have one. Deduct that off the "giving it away price" & that's your offer.
Old 06-13-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoDave View Post
Thanks for your reply. I know that's the prudent course. I was wondering if I could check the rudder play by locking the wheel and diving under to see if I can feel any play, but not sure if you could tell due to resistance of water. I may be able to rent a trailer to haul it out.

Boat has wooden spreaders that need to be replaced as well, which would require dropping the mast.

What makes it so darn tempting is owner wants to get rid of it (bought for his son who lost interest) and is almost giving it away.
Yes, I feel that you could lock the wheel, get into the water and check for slop. I feel that you could dive on the hull and inspect it well enough for a cheap boat, if you have decent enough visibility.
Just balance the risk vs. the reward. If he's "giving it away", then your risk is fairly low, even if the boat turns out to be garbage.

You don't haul for $300 and get a $300 survey for a $500-1000 boat. That's for expensive, complex boats.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-13-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

It doesn't matter if they give it to you for nothing, you want to know if the hull is worth it. It could cost you $$$ just to get rid of it.
Old 06-19-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Look, it all depends on your future plans for this boat. The people here recommending a pull and survey are giving you good safe advice. But I don't think it necessarily makes sense. If you're sailing alone, and in relatively protected areas, honestly, who cares.

That said, my story is that I spent 8k on a boat and I convinced myself I didn't need a survey and I regretted it. I regretted it because I found myself standing on a boat that I felt I didn't know anything about. My own experience and knowledge was to limited to trust. But this doesn't happen to everyone. Some people have enough do-it-yourself know how to handle this situation or others are just happy to get into sailing inexpensively. I'm guessing this is a 3k or less boat and I think your right to question the survey. But just try to picture yourself in a month, standing on the boat in some rougher than expected weather, are you going to regret it then? If not then go for it.

As a quick comment about this particular boat I think the wheel steering is a bummer. There is no need for that on a 26' boat.
Old 05-03-2014
sloblowboat

cntryboy95608 is on a distinguished road

i had a starwind that i built a rudder for it is not hard at all and you can get all the info on the web i just fount the shaft size and went from there!