SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Ranger 33 or Ericson 35-2 for Offshore? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/88752-ranger-33-ericson-35-2-offshore.html)

kulokoo 06-19-2012 01:00 AM

Ranger 33 or Ericson 35-2 for Offshore?

Hypothetical at this time... assuming equally good condition and price, which would you pick over the other, if offshore sailing were part of your plans? - and why?

I can certainly think of other boats that I would rate higher for offshore but (insert some saying about if wishes were horses).

If you have sailed either, what were the poor points offshore, or in swell? Or the good points? thanks

souljour2000 06-19-2012 01:17 AM

Re: Ranger 33 or Ericson 35-2 for Offshore?

Have sailed on neither but I'd go with Ericson 35 II given a choice...comparing the numbers of the boats..the Ericson is heavier, beamier, likley more stable and stiffer...will likely carry a bit more in terms of supplies...also likely the drier boat of the two ...but not having been on either...this isn't a qualified opinion naturally...On paper ...offshore, I'd wanna be on the Ericson...

olson34 06-20-2012 01:49 PM

Hull to Deck Joint is glassed over on the inside on the Ericson. This is a Good Thing.
I do not know how the Ranger Yacht is held together, but like the Ericson, it was designed by another great NA.

The Ericson would have a better interior in some ways. There is an SF owner at the EY site that has done a solo transpac on his E-35/2, FWIW.

Same question has come up a few years ago over at the owners' site, EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!.

You might want to pose your question over at that site.

Best,
LB

eherlihy 06-20-2012 02:32 PM

I suggest a PM to treilley. He owned a beautiful Ericson 35-2, and rebuilt just about every system aboard. He is (was) also very active on the Ericson Owner's Group.

Faster 06-20-2012 03:38 PM

Another nod for the Ericson. The Mull Rangers are pretty good boats, but my sense is that the Ericsons are a notch or two up on build quality. Something inherently 'rugged' without being heavy or slow with those older Ericsons, esp that classic.

olson34 06-20-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 887024)
I suggest a PM to treilley. He owned a beautiful Ericson 35-2, and rebuilt just about every system aboard. He is (was) also very active on the Ericson Owner's Group.

Actually, his was the 80's Ericson 35-3. Different hull entirely. One of the nicest updated ones I have heard of anywhere. :)

L

mikel1 06-20-2012 05:38 PM

Ericson . . .hands down, on reputation alone . . .

Bradhamlet 06-20-2012 06:06 PM

MY dock mate sailed his (35-2) from Mexico to Hawaii then back to the west coast via Oregon down the coast to Channel Islands CA. He loved it. He takes it to Mexico in the fall and returns some time in the Spring. He has been doing this for years. His was built in 1981. Now I don't know if this says more about him or his boat. He is a great sailor.
Brad
His name is Mike, his boat's name is Bodhisattiva.

eherlihy 06-24-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradhamlet (Post 887122)

Pardon the tread drift, but, that is a great name. It made me think of this;

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mF5_Z4ctXpk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kulokoo 06-24-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradhamlet (Post 887122)
MY dock mate sailed his (35-2) from Mexico to Hawaii then back to the west coast via Oregon down the coast to Channel Islands CA. He loved it. He takes it to Mexico in the fall and returns some time in the Spring. He has been doing this for years. His was built in 1981. Now I don't know if this says more about him or his boat. He is a great sailor.
Brad

Bradhamlet... you owe Mike a beer! Bodhisattiva is a C&C 35 Landfall. Take him a beer and confirm I'm right... if I'm wrong then I owe you a beer.

I'd agree Mike is a great sailor, and a great guy.

I think the boat next to his is an Ericson, but I'm not sure if it is a 35-2 or 35-3