SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bought my first boat

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  rgscpat 
#1 ·
Got a Santana 21 for a cheap learn how to sail and do maintenance boat. Where do I start. Anything you guys recommend working on first. Definitely needs some work but seems solid.

#5 ·
If you're in a seasonal sailing area (must pull the boat for the winter) don't do much work on it yet. Just make sure it's seaworthy then sail it as much as you can for the rest of the season. You can work on it after you pull it out of the water and you'll have a better idea what it needs and what you want to change after you've sailed it a while.

#6 ·
Find other sailors ... you'll find them in the most interesting and unexpected places. Besides general sailing forums on the internet, there are forums for owners of boats made by specific manufacturers; i.e. Santanas. Have you touched base with the Eastern Nebraska Sailing Association/Lake Manawa sailors? MidwestSailing has a nice list of midwestern sailing groups by state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.