Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012

gbam is on a distinguished road
Looking at buying a Capri 22 - Shoal Keel

Hello,

I'm looking at buying a shoal keel Capri 22 and I was wondering what you guys thought it was worth. I don't really like the of a shoal keel but it is in good shape with a motivated seller. As always, I realize boat price estimation can optimistically be described as a best guess but I haven't found any shoal keels Capri 22's for sale for comparison. My general plan was to put it immediately back on the market for more money and fix up the interior a bit. If someone comes along and sngas and I make a profit, great, if it takes a while, o well, I have a sailboat . But the key is price, what is the 'fair' price?

Year: 2003
Hull is in good shape, no major damage, softspots
Roller Furler
Stero system is in there but the speakers appear to be from someone's basement poorly wired in.
One main, one jib (Roller furler)
There is a below average condition spinneaker and pole however all of the spin hardware has been removed from the boat.
5 HP mercury in, doesn't appear to well looked after but it runs.
Bottom isn't in bad shape but needs to be repainted in the next 2-3 years.
Standing rigging in decent shape
Interior is awful. There's no cushions or anything and a strong smell of stale beer. There are outdoor cushions.
It has a trailer in decent shape, I wouldn't use it to trailer sail it but for pulling it out once a year it'd work.

I've been unable to find a shoal keel capri 22 (Which in my opinion lowers the value) and it has also been kept as a club boat (So the members were free to take it out. What would be your GUESS at what it's worth. I understand it is just a guess as we're talking sailboat values.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at buying a Capri 22 - Shoal Keel

We had a capri in our club and it was a fast boat however not a shoal keel it won most all races, if memories serve me correct it sold for about 5 g's canadian. hope this helps
Old 06-22-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteGuy View Post
We had a capri in our club and it was a fast boat however not a shoal keel it won most all races, if memories serve me correct it sold for about 5 g's canadian. hope this helps
The price will vary according to year, how equipped, and condition. Also, motor and trailer are likely to be quoted separatel by tax office or BUC (see below). 5 g's sounds low to me for that recent (2003) year model (CorvetteGuy didn't say what year model his reference boat was).

Go to BUC and see what they estimate it at. Also, contact your county tax office and see what value they put on it. Do a google search of all used boat listing agencies such as Sailboat Listings, Used Boats, etc. and see what they list them at. If you have trouble finding Capri 22's, search also for Catalina 22's....not the same boat, but similar. Since you will find the boats from a number of years, make a plot of boat price vs. year model. Then pick off where 2003 lies on the plot, and that will give a rough estimate....throw out highest and lowest numbers since they will likely not be realistic or represent at too high asking value. Visit each of the sites for the boats that you find, including photos, to see what condition they appear to be in and how equipped. Adjust your estimate of value accordingly.

I sold a 2001 Catalina MK II 22 with motor, trailer in 2010. Proper range seemed to be $13,500-$14,200 for that boat, with a new one similarily equipped being in the $22,000 - 24,000 range. Also, I believe the base MK II 22 is a couple of thousand more expensive than the Capri 22, but equipment options could vary price of either one considerably. I believe that I got $13,500 for my boat, but included a bottom paint job ($600). Boat was in top condition. Hope this helps.

p.s. Capri 22's are most often bought for racing and generally fin keel would be preferred for that purpose. However, if you sail where water tends to be shallow, then the wing keel would be the choice. Also, if you plan to trailer a lot, you would probably prefer wing keel (shoal keel) since it would be easier to launch and recover with a trailer.

p.s. 2 I went back and re-read your description of the boat. Cushions are expensive....Contact Catalina or Catalina Direct to see what a replacement set would be. Also, sounds like the boat has perhaps had a rough life and you would depreciate for that.

Last edited by NCC320; 06-22-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2012

gbam is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your advice! If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them as well!
Old 08-23-2012

crockett is on a distinguished road

The capri 22 wing keel is not worth nearly as much as a fin keel. There are many of them around and I've noticed that most don't race. This limits the aggressive buyers.

This time of year boats begin to flood the market. You're looking at storage and holding it over the winter. I don't expect it would be very easy to 'flip' even at a low entry price.

The good news is that Capri 22's are common but that's also the bad news. I've noticed a lot of sailboats sitting on the market and at significant discounts lately. I'd guess people just aren't paying up for 'toys' as much anymore.

Bottom-line is that you'd have to get a smokin' good deal to make it worthwhile otherwise you'll be stuck with a boat you can't sell (and may even lose money down the road).

I'd want to get it for well less than book value which is currently around $9500.

Just me but I would either want a sailboat or not. I think there are much better ways to make money than trying to flip something like a used sailboat. The market is fickle. My 2c...