Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012

CAC63 is on a distinguished road
Choose Y-Flyer vs Chrysler Buccanneer ?

Hello,

I have not sailed for sometime, 30 years. Went on a trip and took my son sailing on hunter 170, he really liked it. Looking for a something fun to sail on small inland lakes and resevoirs around central indiana with him or my wife. I am looking at a Y-flyer and a Chrysler Buccanneer for a reasonable price. Does any one have any experience sailing the two boats? Thank you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2012

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Choose Y-Flyer vs Chrysler Buccanneer ?

I do not know anything about the Y-Flyer.

The Bucc is fast and tender. If you're looking for speed and VERY spirited handling, this is your boat. But it'll be wet and it'll go over.

If you're looking for cruising the lake with a cooler and some sandwiches, perhaps something of similar size but a little more genteel would serve, like an O'Day Daysailer. Decent Daysailers and Buccs are out there for $2,000, and sometime less, even much less if you're thorough in your search and patient.

One piece of advice, boats like these are fairly easy to sell. Get on the water now. Don't spend 2 years looking for the perfect deal... get something now, keep looking for the perfect deal then sell the first one after you find it.

I bought a decent DS for $1,250, sailed it two years while always watching the ads. When a classic 1968 model twice as nice surfaced for $900, I bought it then sold the first one for exactly what I paid. After putting another $650 and maybe 100 hours into the second one (full repaint, rebuild and varnish floorboards and coaming) I have a very handsome classic.
Old 06-26-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
Re: Choose Y-Flyer vs Chrysler Buccanneer ?

I have a 1980 Chrysler Bucc, and love it. The problem is, we also own an Olson 30 and just sold our J24- wife said we needed to "thin the herd", so the Bucc is for sale as well. As mentioned, they are tender and easily overpowered in puffy breeze. The main has a fairly large roach, so you ease everything and hike when you get hit by a puff. Once you learn the drill, they are a ton of fun, if you're up to it, but it can be a bit of work in heavy air. They plane in as little as 9 or 10 kts of breeze, and with the kite up will definitely give you a thrill! If you can, take it out for a spin and see if you like it. If you have an active fleet and can race it, all the more fun! I would agree, though- it's not very relaxing if you want to take a lunch along and hang out on the water if it's blowing anything approaching 10 kts...