Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012
Max Hax

blistovmhz is on a distinguished road
Terrifying Spencer 42' - Should I buy?

I'm looking for a liveaboard that may eventually do some bluewater. I have two adults (I'm 6'5" and the lady is tiny) and 4 cats. I'm new to boats so I don't really know what size I should be looking at.

At any rate, I've found a Spencer 42' for sale. Currently posted at $15,000 CAD, but it'll come down soon as the owner is leaving the country in three weeks so he'll take whatever he can get for it. I doubt it'll sell if I don't take it. The pictures immediately make me feel like i'm about to be raped and/or murdered and probably also eaten.
Can view here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=1l99...M1FNtTfunsq_Yt

I don't know what this guy was thinking. He apparently takes his kids out sailing every weekend on this thing, but it looks like it's mostly been used to store bodies.

At any rate, I've heard these hulls are bulletproof and capable bluewater vessels. i'd have to redo the entire interior so I'd be talking him down to $5-$10k before I even considered buying it.

Thoughts on scary boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Terrifying Spencer 42' - Should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistovmhz View Post
I'm looking for a liveaboard that may eventually do some bluewater. I have two adults (I'm 6'5" and the lady is tiny) and 4 cats. I'm new to boats so I don't really know what size I should be looking at.

At any rate, I've found a Spencer 42' for sale. Currently posted at $15,000 CAD, but it'll come down soon as the owner is leaving the country in three weeks so he'll take whatever he can get for it. I doubt it'll sell if I don't take it. The pictures immediately make me feel like i'm about to be raped and/or murdered and probably also eaten.
Can view here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=1l99...M1FNtTfunsq_Yt

I don't know what this guy was thinking. He apparently takes his kids out sailing every weekend on this thing, but it looks like it's mostly been used to store bodies.

At any rate, I've heard these hulls are bulletproof and capable bluewater vessels. i'd have to redo the entire interior so I'd be talking him down to $5-$10k before I even considered buying it.

Thoughts on scary boat?
Trust you are aware that is not a Spencer as in Spencer Yachts from Richmond? I believe it was designed by John Spencer - an Ozzie or Kiwi IIRC. Looks like it was built of plywood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-29-2012
Max Hax

The current owner thought it was a Brandylmyer sloop... But he's also a little crazy. I'm trying to track down info, but yea, that interior looks terrible. I haven't seen it in person. I figured all that wood on the interior v-berth part of the hull was framing for interior stuff. No?
Old 06-29-2012

delite is on a distinguished road

42 feet for someone with no experience is a mistake, even if you are going to be a parker. Go get some experience first.
Old 06-29-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

No, looks like it is the deck bracing for a plywood deck. the hull also looks like a plywood boat it has a bit of a hard chine in the bow and on the stern near the water line. does not look like a molded fiberglass hull. cabin is all wrong for a Spencer 42. looks like a one off home built and way to much boat and old junk equipment on board for a novice

Last edited by overbored; 06-29-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-29-2012
Max Hax

Quote:
Originally Posted by delite View Post
42 feet for someone with no experience is a mistake, even if you are going to be a parker. Go get some experience first.
Oh, I certainly plan to. A friend of a friend has offered to take me out when I feel like a skip over to Bowen. I just don't want to invest a tonne of time into this if it's ultimately not going to be a realistic proposition. Everyone has their opinions and they vary dramatically. About half the people I speak to say I shouldn't bother throwing money away on anything I can pick up for under $60k while the other half says I'd be a chump to spend more than $20. The half on the left also say it's not possible to live aboard (comfortably) anything smaller than 42' while the other side of course says there are tonnes of well laid out 30 footers that'll comfortably accommodate two adults full time.

Really just trying to talk to more liveaboards and get input from them. Most of the the "spend >$60 or go home" folk all live in million dollar homes, and each of their 5 cars are worth more than my life .
Unfortunately though, it seems that most liveaboards don't seem to get online to discuss as often as the recreational sailors.

Last edited by blistovmhz; 06-29-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-29-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

"brand new electrical panel (needs to be installed)". Priceless.

Could I suggest you treat that hot water heater installation with the greatest of suspicion? Where is the exhaust going? If it's a balanced flu design, into that berth in the next room. If the fumes come out of the top (and it looks like they do), they are filling up the salon. At least there's a metal shield to stop the fibreglass melting.

Two propane detectors does not a safe installation make. A CO detector might be a good move. Ripping out the heater might be an ever better one.
blistovmhz likes this.

Last edited by MarkSF; 06-29-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-29-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

it floats, it moves under it's own power, and it looks like it couldn't possibly smell worse with four cats on board. You have a LOT, repeat, A LOT of deferred maintenance catch-up ahead of you, so a survey is a necessity, by someone who knows wood boats.
If you can get it for less than $250/ft with a survey that you are comfortable with, and you are comfortable with wood, it looks like a decent package.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2012

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

I say keep looking! That looks like an endless $ and work pit . . .
Old 06-29-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road

Looks like a particle board sole in cabin . . . interesting alternative to teak and holly . . . run away . . . don't look back!

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28