Hey folks. I'm 6'5", brand new to boats, terrified of the ocean, and have decided to live aboard
Looking for input on boat recommendations. I'm married to the idea of a sailboat (energy independence in case of zombie apocalypse) though I may consider a real cheap trawler to get me started.
Some things I've run into though.
1. I'm too tall for most boats. I'm half monkey so I have no problem swinging about and ducking through bulkheads, but I like to be able to stand while doing dishes and showering.
2. I've looked at about 10 boats thus far from a San Juan 27 to a Buchan 37 to a Spencer 42. The San Juan's cabin was about the size of the interior of my Jeep. The Buchan 37 was big enough for me to get by, alone, but certainly nowhere near comfortably. The Spencer 42 looks more than sufficient, but I'm not looking forward tot the idea of singlehanding a 42'. However, I hear constantly about elderly couples living for 10 years on a Morgan IO 30'. I've looked at videos of these and they look WAY bigger than the Buchan 37'. Granted, the Buchan's beam is only about 7'5" while the IO is about 10', but the Buchans extra 7' LOA I'd thing should more than compensate. Also, the Buchan could never fit a shower while most IO 30's have no issue with such accommodation. Am I just looking at the wrong style boat? Is there some magic word for sub 40' boats that can accommodate two adults and a box of cats comfortably?
3. After much research, I've set my budget to start at around $20k. Some people tell me this is completely unrealistically low, while many others (mostly liveaboards) say $20k will buy me a comfortable boat with enough left over to invite all my friends to a moon party. I've met liveaboards who tell me they spent $8000 on their boat, put $2000 into the interior, and consider $1500/y maintenance to be excessive. Then on the flip side there are those who wouldn't set foot in anything under $60k, and will drop $10k/y on maintenance.
So my questions I suppose are
1. Whats a good boat for tall, lanky, but extremely handsome men with either two cats or four cats and a tiny lady friend?
2. What's the secret code that unlocks all the roomy boats in the sub-40' range? (already tried up up down down left right left right a b start, but all I got was a gutted 42' Spencer in a condition scary enough that I left feeling like I'd just been raped).
3. What's a reasonable price for a live aboard? I don't expect gold plated shower curtains or VTOL, but I don't want myself or my cats to get too friendly with the seals either.